Jeep Commander Forum banner

"perform Service" indicator light

90K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  voodoodrew 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone can give me some feedback.

I recently purchased an 06 Jeep Commander. When I start it, there's a message that comes up on the odometer that reads 'Perform Service' (where it normally reads the temperature and direction I'm driving). Is that normal? I've read the User's Manual several times and have found the section that shows what messages that will read out under certain conditions. However, it doesn't tell me what that one means.

I was worried that it means to perform some type of maintenance, but then i thought it meant it was ready to 'Perform Service' (i.e. Drive, Reverse...).

Still a little unsure. Can anyone provide some feedback for me?

(if this has been posted, i apologize. i searched the forums and couldn't find anything on it.)

#2 ·
Re: "perform Service"

If you hit the menu button on your dash there is a service interval. That can be set to varying mileages between 2000-4000 miles, or something like that. Likely, it was set, and the dealer didn't reset it if/when they serviced when you bought it. Do you know when the last oil change was?

#5 ·

when it says "perform service", you press and hold the reset button until it resets. In the menu options, set it for the interval you want to be reminded to get an oil change. I dont think you can turn off the option though.

just remember PRESS and HOLD - RESET.

#6 ·

SDBaja said:
If you have the NAV system it is set there under the menu item labeled vehicle maintenance.
The NAV system keeps its own maintenance interval. It is separate from the EVIC computer maintenance service interval. In other words, resetting the NAV system service message will not affect the "perform service" message on the EVIC. At least that is how mine works...

#7 ·

olllllllo said:
The NAV system keeps its own maintenance interval. It is separate from the EVIC computer maintenance service interval. In other words, resetting the NAV system service message will not affect the "perform service" message on the EVIC. At least that is how mine works...
I'll take your word for it. I have not seen the perform service come up on the EVIC but have seen (and set) the values in the NAV system.

#8 ·

Funny semi-related story: When we test drove the Commander we bought I noticed while I was fiddling with the controls that the service interval was set to 5,000. We bought the vehicle and on the way home I noticed that the dealership set the interval to 3,000 while they were cleaning it up to give to me. Sneaky sneaky. It was already back at 5,000 by the time I pulled it into the driveway.

#12 ·

RedCommander said:
Why? Because if he wants his warranty to stay in tact, he'll need to follow the manufacturers recommendation for the duration of the warranty period. That's why.
I have always done 4000 mile service intervals on my vehicles (Jeeps now, and a Pontiac in the past) and never had an issue getting warranty service.

#14 ·

RedCommander said:
I'm guessing you've also never popped an engine either.
The engine won't die because you run a 5000 mile service interval, especially if the dealer uses synthetics. Doesn't the alternate schedule state 5000 mile intervals anyway?

#16 ·

Synthetics are THE worst to use, the engines run too hot. Then you have troubles(especially in diesels) ;)

#17 ·

i have a 2007 jeep commander. it shuts off while driving. it happened 3 times so far.
the dealer cannot duplicate the problem. i am totally disgusted because i love the truck but it's a possible death trap! the manufacturer told me they cannot solve what might happen. how pathetic are they? i am going lemon law tommorrow. anybody here me?

#18 ·

marjak said:
i have a 2007 jeep commander. it shuts off while driving. it happened 3 times so far.
the dealer cannot duplicate the problem. i am totally disgusted because i love the truck but it's a possible death trap! the manufacturer told me they cannot solve what might happen. how pathetic are they? i am going lemon law tommorrow. anybody here me?
Please lodge a complaint with http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Also, if you search this website using NHTSA you will find a thread with more information. Regardless..file the flippin complaint!

BTW,,sorry you are having the issue.:(

#19 ·

Good luck with the lemon law issue I hope it works out for you. Also is it possible that you are bumping your knee up against the car ignition? I heard someone else who was on the tall side that had that problem as its right there where you knee could hit it.

Right now I am doing 3k intervals, after it gets to 10k I will probably go to synthetic oil & do 5K intervals. I do not have the manual in front of me (too lazy to go downstairs to the garage & get it) but I thought 3k service interval were for extreme use & 5k or something like that was for normal use, or do I have my vehicles mixed up?

Anyway the fact that Jeep programs service interval options between 3 & 5K would indicate that all of those are acceptable at the owners descretion based on the type of driving/use the vehicle gets. They will always put on the lower number to protect themselves/get you in more often. But if you want the sticker to match whats programed just tell them to do a 5K interval milage on it. I do that with my other vehicles including my previous jeep GC. In my case 2/3 of miles are on highway & not stop & go off road, dusty (well sometimes) roads etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.