Jeep Commander Forum banner

bkilbys Garage

15K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  bkilby 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks. I just bought this rig from AEV and it was mentioned that I should start a new thread with pics and info, so here it is.

I've known the guys at AEV for sometime now. I think we first met in 2000 or 2001. I forget. Lol! After I sold my Hemi powered LJ (AEV installed) in January, I started looking around for a new Jeep with my eyes on a new 4DR JK. I had a 4DR in the past and really like them but boy they aren't cheap nowadays. Anyhow, as I was Googling around the 'net, I ran across a Commander and thought to myself, huh, I forgot about those! Lol! Let's see, factory installed 5.7, leather, same basic dimensions at a 4DR JK.... yeah I can do this. I looked around a bunch, saw pics of AEV's rig and finally called Dave to see if he still had it. "Yeah, why? You wanna buy it?" was the response. Ha! Long story short, here it is. I took delivery on 2-25-2014 (my anniversary no less) with 2881 miles on it.

We spent a day going over the rig real quick then loaded it on a trailer and headed for the TDS event in San Diego area. The Jeep did fine with some tire rubbing (expected) but the car trailer blew a couple of tires.

I really don't have much more to add right now. Some basic info is, 5.7 Limited, Superlift 4" lift, custom made fiberglass fender flares and 39.5" Irok's. Other than the front being a bit "springy" (needs new struts), it rides real nice and handles quite well. Oh, and it still has the new car smell.

If anyone has any Q's, just ask! I know I'll have some. Like, what's that black box with the red lens for that's stuck to my windshield?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it's awesome that you got this Commander ! And I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is a little envious. I know at one time Dave was asking $30,000 for it. Would you care to share how much you paid for it ?

#8 ·
I appreciate the thumbs up but I can't disclose the purchase price. I just think it's in the best interest of all parties to pass on that. Besides, you never know....I might decide this just isn't the rig for me and pass it on. My wife loves the thing though. If it didn't have the big tires on it, she'd confinscate it from me tomorrow. Lol! It really is a nice rig, just need to get the tractor tires off it. Btw, before anyone says anything, my Hemi Jeep I just sold had 39" BFG Krawlers on it. I'm used to big tires but not ones that hum this good. Ha!

#3 ·
That thing is NASTY! Lucky dog, you. Bet it gets great MPG. :rofl:

#10 ·
MPG?? What's that? Lol! Ok it's only been a week or so but holy crap! My 6000 lb Hemi LJ got better mileage! I did have 5.38 gears but I never realized the damage that stock (3.73) gears and AWD did to MPG. Maybe I just need to drive it more. <shrug>

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Here is an AEV promo video with the Iceland Commander in it. Most of the Commander is in the second half of the video.

Another video:
www.youtube.com/embed/SPFLnJH9MdU

#6 ·
Yeah I'm a little jealous. Would love to see how well my Commander would do off road compared to that rig

#9 ·
I might be able to find out what happened with that rig. I'm afraid it might have been a crusher though. (crushed when they were done with it). That would be a shame but see those flares? I'm trying to get the molds for those. Time will tell.

#13 ·
The difference in the flares is pretty darn evident.

#14 ·
Congrats on the purchase bkilby! What an awesome machine!

#15 · (Edited)
Yeah I guess so when you post a side by side like that. At first it just looked like they painted them. Last I talked to them they only mentioned making flares for the Iceland Commander. I'm not worried though cause I'm already running 34 and don't even have the Superlift

#17 ·
Thanks for the congrats guys!

This rig needed new struts so I ordered the Monroe Quick Struts and put them on yesterday. I really wanted the Bilstein but I guess they didn't have any. OME was out of stock on the springs until the end of the month so Monroe it was. Anyhow, put them on and the Jeep sat 1" lower than previous. I cut some spacers on my CNC Plasma and sandwiched them between the top of the strut and the Superlift bracket. This gave approx 1/2" lift but the Jeep still sits a little low. What I don't know is if the old struts had been modified or not. Looking at the pics, you see the steel spacers at the top. Are these factory or aftermarket? Side by side the old and new show the same dimensions with the new showing more shock travel and I assume Monroe uses the same spring rate. What I don't know is if AEV modified the old struts with those spacers. Anyone?

#19 ·
Looking closer at the old struts today, I think you're right. Someone cut 3 1/4" plates and stacked them on top of the spring. After looking under the crud, I can see they're tack welded together. I bought the Quick Struts so I didn't have to pull these apart but looks like I'll have to do it anyhow. So much for a quick fix. Lol!

#21 ·
That preload spacer on top of the spring is part of the SuperLift kit. I have it, too.

#20 ·
I ended up installing the 3/4" spacers and brought the rig back to where it should be. Boy it's a tight fit with the Superlift spacers on top. The top of the strut rubs the inner fender making it hard to install but we got it done. Also replaced all the lower A arm bushings while we were at it. Someone, don't know who, installed the front bushing backwards so the A arm was sliding off the bushings. The front of the arm is machined and the bushing flange should press against this machined surface. Anyhow, All fixed now and it feels great.

#23 ·
Well, actually, I don't think there are 3 there - only 1 (0.25"?). Page 11 of the install instructions have a nice diagram of the entire assembly. Stacking 3 0.25" spacers probably helps get those bigger tires under there!

I don't know if the picture links still work, but you can see another member's install from years ago.

There was also an article in FourWheeler where they installed a SuperLift.

:eek:rangehat:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.