Jeep Commander Forum banner

Light switch part number

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Hobbes 
#1 · (Edited)
2006 Jeep Commander. My fog lights recently stopped working. Checked the bulbs, fuse and relay and they are in otherwise working condition. I'm thinking the on/off of the fog lights over the years has worn down the switch. Does anybody have a Mopar part number? I have the instructions on how to replace but they do not have a part number for the light stalk.

Thanks!

*edit, I need the one with the auto headlight feature.

#2 ·
Have you checked for stored DTC's?

It may be different than my 2010, but I suspect it is the same; the fog lamps are turned on by a digital signal to the FCU.

Yes, a bad switch is possible, if it doesn't do the right digital signal to the FCU, but it could be any number of things wrong with the steering column or CAN network in the vehicle.

If you have a proper scan tool (meaning one much better and more expensive than you buy in the department/auto stores) you can cue the fog/lamps on and off yourself without the switch, if they won't turn on, you know the problem is elsewhere. If they do turn on, and you have no other DTC's from the steering column, then I would suspect the switch. It would depend on the tool, but you can even set a monitor for the switch and see if the bit changes when you operate the switch.

#4 ·
Have you checked for stored DTC's?

It may be different than my 2010, but I suspect it is the same; the fog lamps are turned on by a digital signal to the FCU.
How are the fog lights on your 2010 activated? On my 2006, they are activated by pulling out the knob on the end of the light stalk. To turn them off you push the knob back in and to be honest I was never really gentle with turning them off. I have no other codes on the Jeep.

#8 ·
So tonight I replaced the multiple multifunction switch on the Commander. My fog lights now work again. The part number for the stalk with the fog lights and auto headlights option is 5143313AF. The hardest part of changing the switch out was paying for it. Dealer wanted $120, local auto parts stores wanted between $138 (Advanced), $139 (Pepboys), and $183 �� (Autozone). Ordered it from Rockauto $88 (2 day shipping).

I tried the key dance to check for codes for future reference but I couldn't get it to work on my Jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.