Jeep Commander Forum banner

Best, not biggest, 18" tire recommended

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  MarbleGT 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking at lifting the Commander. I want to 'better' it all around, not just on the trail but road too. Part of that, I want to keep a spare in the stock location. By putting a spare in the cargo area it would eat up too much room and a roof rack would keep it from fitting in the garage. Also, from my understanding on the pinch weld mod, you have to cut out part of the plastic inner fender and then bend over the factory pinch weld? I rather keep the inner fenders intact.

My Commander has nice looking factory 18" wheels that I want to keep. I was thinking about 265/65/18 Goodyear Silent Armors. With wheel spacers, will those rub? Would that fit in the stock spare tire location? I have seen threads about fitting a certain larger tires in the spare tire location may require deflated but I would rather avoid that. If it is the best solution then I would want to keep a small pump with me.

I'm sure some would say, stick with the stock size :shinner: I believe the 2" OME lift will make for a better rounded XK with increased ground clearance and better shocks. Also, the stock 245/60/18s only come in highway tires. If I could get some all-terrains such as GY Silent Armors or Firestone Destinations it would make for the better all around package. So what would be my ideal tire size?

See less See more
#4 ·
If you don't have a hitch it might. If you deflate the tire it may fit with a hitch. It's tight back there.

Also, after doing more research, the 265/65/18 is also a good setup with minimal to no rubbing.

#5 ·
It seems that the 265/65/18 is the most popular upsize but I see mixed reports on rubbing. Also I do worry about the spare fitting. The 60 series being slightly smaller has to have a better chance at fitting.

My only concern with the 265/60/18 is if it will look too small with the 2" lift. I don't want oversized balloon tires nor do I want dwarf tires in a large wheel opening.

#6 ·
I think the 60s, even the 65s, look a little small personally....but I also think the only way to avoid that is going 17 with a 70. That being said, the black XK in the link looks pretty good.

60s wont rub at all, and 65's shouldn't rub, depending on the tire, if you are running spacers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.