Jeep Commander Forum banner

increase horsepower

40K views 70 replies 36 participants last post by  commander67 
#1 ·
has anyone done any mods to inc. their horsepower. ie: new exhuast system, air intake. I was told by getting after market equip. you can get better gas mileage and more horsepower. does anyone know anything about this?

#55 ·
I wanted something else for my low end power on my 4.7 to work well with my Superchips, flowmaster exhaust and AFE+Airaid system, the answer was a ported and polished throttle body.
The stock 4.7 TB is 65mm the new one is 68mm.
I have yet to install it but others have positive feedback, we shall see.

#59 ·
I didnt think of the high flow cat thing a week ago when I got my exhaust done but good thinking. I have also heard that exhaust and CAI gains are insignificant until paired with a chip or programmer. Have other people heard this also? What about unplugging battery to reset computer so it adjusts to new mods?

#60 ·
You will still get a benefit with modern EFI systems. The fuel trims will adjust faster if you reset the ECU, but they will also adjust to the changes if you don't, albeit at a slower pace.

I work in the emissions industry as an engineer. The pressure drop of a modern catalytic converter really isn't that much, to be honest with you. You might see some gains with a "high flow" converter as a cumulative effect w/other exhaust modifications, but I really don't think it is worth the cost.

#63 ·
Cherry Bomb?

has anyone tried using a cherry bomb or glasspacks ...i think its the muffler that is red and sorta like a plain tube ..i think it would sound killer but will it help any?:rofl:

#64 ·
Shocker- I'm not sure how those would sound on a 3.7 but I actually just had a magnaflow put on my 3.7 today and it sounds awesome. I'll keep everyone posted as far as gas milage/power increases but so far I love it. I was looking the same direction you were but ended up going with a magnaflow because of a video/sound clip someone put up who had a 3.7. good luck!

#69 ·
$3,000 to increase Horsepower!

Ok guys I have $3,000 to increase my horsepower in my completly stock 2007 Commander Limited edition with a 3.7 Liter V6. I know nothing about mods so if you where in this situation what is the biggest bang for the buck without distroying the engine or overworking it... Any thoughts on how the 3K should be spent?

#71 ·
I recently purchased a 2009 4.7 Limited bone stock "for the wife" I was wanting to put a k&n drop filter in it but I also was fartin around the idea of a cold air intake. what would be better and what are the downsides to both. also what is a good exhaust i feel bad for the motor like its starving for air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.