Jeep Commander Forum banner

do you think the qt1 would be capable of this ?

12K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  06hemixk 
#1 ·
is the qt1 system capable?

how is it any different than any other awd system?

#2 · (Edited)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_four-wheel-drive_systems#Quadra-Trac

Hope this helps.. It is a capable system and with the correct driving technique i believe is just as capable as quadra drive systems , will it go into full lock like the quadra drive 2 system? , no it wont, but you can usually get the brake traction control to help you out. Also you dont have a 4 low option with trac one.. To have a 4 low you need quadra drive 1-2 or quadra trac 2.

#3 ·
QTI is very capable and will get you most places you'll ever try to go.

However it is not as capable as QDII. Just yesterday I was out wheeling and found a few obstacles that my friends QTI system just couldn't transfer enough power to make it up a very rutted climb. QDII in 4-low was no issue.

#13 · (Edited)
The real question is can the Suburu do this ?

Tire Cooper Discoverer m+s. Quadra-Trac I. temp - 23C. Russia

#8 ·
It certainly wouldn't be an issue. It would go fine. just might be easier with a 4lo option due to the weight of a commander.

#12 · (Edited)
How Quadra Trac I works:

#15 ·
The QTI has a transfer case with a differential like any 4x4 rig; it just lacks the low range gearing found in other 4x4 systems.

AWD is usually a fluid coupling, with split torque values going to the front and rear. My Chrysler 300 is AWD, and 62% of the torque goes to the rear, and 38% to the front wheels. Very few AWD systems have a straight differential type transfer case.

#16 ·
dkia01, I just watched the video you posted. You will NOT have that problem as the front/rear is coupled with a geared differential. Any subsequent wheel slip will be controlled with traction control. The Honda CRV etc. is typical of fluid coupled AWD systems, there's NO direct front/rear "connection" as you have with your QTI system.

#17 ·
Good call Matt and Jeep. I feel stupid even trying to be curious this morning about the Jeep capability. You'd think i'd know by now, been driving these since 91! Been through some deep snow in the mountains at 7Springs and some rocky trails down in Cannan Valley, was never disappointed

#18 ·
Sorry Dkia, All in good fun. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't wheeled it yet other than in the Florida sticks. Still on factory ride height. :respect:

#19 ·
I've found QT1 to be very capable in snow where I'm at. I drive through fields quite often and drift for fun. Probably not very smart, but it does it without a problem! I usually turn ESP off when I do that though.

Only been stuck once. Pulled off a friend's driveway and started going through the field to get back on the road. Only problem was, the snow was drifting and I didn't have the speed to keep going because it happened 15 feet from where I started. I bottomed out in about 2 feet of snow and had to dig out underneath a bit to back out of it. So, had I had a lift, I might not have gotten stuck!

#24 ·
It would probably be more economical and work just as well to throw some lockers in. unless you really would use the low range.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.