Jeep Commander Forum banner

Fun with plasti-dip!

87K views 162 replies 61 participants last post by  turboash78 
#1 ·
Finally was able to plasti-dip my wheels and grill. I love the idea of this stuff I mean come on its removable paint! It's super durable, really forgiving, and easy to use. Comes in tons of colors even metallics and clear. I did mine matte black. The wheels took 2 cans, 2 coats, and about 2 hours. Home depot sells the spray cans for roughly 6-8 bucks a can. Since I've done mine I've gotten requests to do an entire ford escape flat black and my wife and her friends wheels. I highly recommend this product and am in no way associated with the product plasti-dip. Im going to get a few cans of clear before I go off road again and then peel it off when I'm done to avoid scratches. Feedback is welcomed.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

See less See more
#55 ·
From what I've read dismantling the headlights is a pain in the a**! You have to bake the headlight for 220 degrees for a while and slowly pry off the clear plastic lens a few inches at a time. I'm hoping to get that done soon.

Post some pics of your emblems! I'd love to see how they came out because I want to do mine. Are there any pegs behind the emblems or just double sides tape?

#58 ·
Emblems and Headlights

Hi guys, sorry its been awhile. I did the Headlights originally and it is a pain and very time consuming but I think the results speak for themselves. Also just finished "blacking" out the emblems. They are simple to remove...double sided tape. Just heat them with a hair dryer (my wife's worked well...me explaining to her what I was doing with her hair dryer did not work nearly as well). You can use fishing line or a butter knife wrapped in a towel (caution on the paint under the emblems).

#59 ·
Hi guys, sorry its been awhile. I did the Headlights originally and it is a pain and very time consuming but I think the results speak for themselves. Also just finished "blacking" out the emblems. They are simple to remove...double sided tape. Just heat them with a hair dryer (my wife's worked well...me explaining to her what I was doing with her hair dryer did not work nearly as well). You can use fishing line or a butter knife wrapped in a towel (caution on the paint under the emblems).
Any pics of the finished emblems? I want to do my headlights I just haven't had time to not use my headlights for 2 days. I wish it were an easy task but hopefully within a few weeks I'll have my headlights done.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

#61 ·
Got my car detailed today with a good scrub and buff to get all the trail wounds out and he said he didn't have any problems with the plasti dip on the grill or wheels. I'll have to post some pics tomorrow when the suns out. I've never seen this thing shinier!!!

#63 ·
Would an electric pressure washer (1500~ PSI) have a chance at taking it off my grill?

I don't plan on blasting it head on, but I don't want it to peel off either.

#64 ·
My 1800 psi washer doesn't take it off. Don't hold the water on it and keep it at a distance and you should be fine. As long as the paint isn't already peeling it won't peel up. This stuff holds on pretty strong i'd only start to worry when a corner comes up but even then I think it'll still hang on.

#66 ·
That plasti-dip looks great! I just bought some yesterday and shot a little on some scrap wood just to see what it looked like. I'm happy with the way it looks on that, so my 3rd delete / storage box will get a plasti dip treatment in a could of weekends. I'm afraid I may get carried away and plasti dip everything!! My roof rails look ragged, my rims have scuffs, and I like the look of the black grill so I have a feeling I'll black out everything on my XK. Silver and Black go good together well!

#67 ·
It really gives the xk a different look with the grill being black. I love that I can always go back to stock if needed but why when it looks so good!? Haha the black grill makes the headlights and orange corners really stand out so soon I'll be blacking out the corners and painting the headlights when I can get to them.

I hoped I wouldn't get carried away with it and now everything I have is plasti dipped.

#68 ·
Noticed a small chip in my grill. Could have just pressed it back but I thought I'd show you guys how it looks when you respray.

Attachments

#69 ·
iv been trying to apply this plasti dip to my stock wheels and its not going as easily as i thought. i put on about 3 layers along with some touch ups and i let is sit for about an hour when i was done. after all that the plasti dip peels when i tighten the lug nuts.

#71 ·
What are you planning on dipping? People here seem to like the dipped grille and wheels.

I still have to do my grab handles on the back and I want to paint my headlights too but haven't had the time.

Hope it works for you. There have been tips in this thread on using this stuff on wheels so make sure you read that first.

#75 · (Edited)
I've had my rims plasti-dipped for almost a year now. I sprayed 4 good solid layers and masked off the lug nut holes. I found out that if you dont mask the lug nut holes, when you tighten or losen the nuts it starts pulling off the plasti-dip. Now that I have keep the edges away from the lugs, its perfect and hasnt started bubbling or peeling yet. It made it through part of summer and all winter. The only thing is, after this long it started to collect dirt and dust which is hard to wash off because you dont want to scuff or peel it. Dont use a power washer on it, only use light spray when cleaning them. With that said it still looks great. I am going to see how long it lasts before something happens to it and then apply it again. Here is a pic of what it looked like the day I sprayed them (the first 2 pics) and what it looks like currently (third pic). My application time was about 6 hours and that included redoing one of the wheels. Letting them dry in direct sunlight helps speed up the process.

Attachments

#76 ·
I forgot to mention that after I put the wheels back on, I sprayed a thin layer of plasti-dip on the chrome lugs to blend them in. I havent had a problem with them peeling either. This stuff is pretty rugged and durable. It lasted through a flat tire change also, I just had to touch up a few spots where the lug wrench scuffed it up.

#79 ·
I think I like it!! I may have a new project in the future, lol.

#78 ·
The hood looks really good. I think I might do that next. Ive been wanting for weeks to do my headlights but I've been so occupied with my new toy a 1987 Suzuki Samurai. I'm working on repainting it cause the last owner did a really REALLY bad job spray painting it. I'm sick of sanding...I may just plasti-dip the whole thing!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.