Jeep Commander Forum banner

Which engine did you get with your Commander, and are you happy with it?

• Bought the V6 and am happy with it.

Votes: 117 13.5%
  • Bought the V6, but wish I'd bought the 4.7L V8.

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • Bought the V6, but wish I'd bought the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Votes: 25 2.9%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8 and am happy with it.

Votes: 252 29.0%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8 but wish I'd bought the V6.

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8, but wish I'd bought the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Votes: 62 7.1%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 and am happy with it.

Votes: 337 38.8%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 but wish I'd bought the V6.

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 but wish I'd bought the 4.7L V8.

Votes: 6 0.7%
  • Bought the CRD

Votes: 25 2.9%

Which engine did you get with your Commander?

71K views 169 replies 143 participants last post by  wellingtoncole70 
#1 ·
...And do you regret the choice now? What would you choose if you could do it all over again?

I'm very happy with my Hemi. :D

#27 ·
Hesitantly bought th V6 as this was the only JC my wife liked in color and options (Black 65th Anniversary). However, the horsepower equals our traded-in 8 cylinder Expedition.
The performance of this vehicle is more than adequate. Perhaps only psychologically I would have preferred the 4.7 V8. As I truly enjoy this Vehicle I'm sure I will quickly qet over that it's a 6.

#29 ·
I went with the 6 cyl and have no problems with it. The 4.7 or the Hemi would be great, but I got a sweet deal on the 6. The dealer gave me the $5000 off, 0% interest, and my pops supplier discount. I can handle the 6 at that deal! :D Averaging about 16 mpg with 50/50 city/hwy. Went to Asheville last weekend and got 19.8 on the trip down and 19.2 on the trip back.

#30 · (Edited)
i specifically wanted the V6 and i'm happy with it. went on a 2 hour trip with 5 adults and one 13 yr old and power was fine. i get about 15mpg in town and about 20 highway. can't complain about that for the size of the vehicle.

i pull a 5000# trailer with my truck and kinda wish i would've got the 4.7 so i could pull with the jeep if needed. has anyone towed with the V6 and if so how was it?

#32 ·
Bump, I know a lot of new members have joined since the last post to this poll.

#33 ·
bump for new members :)

#38 ·
4.7L V8. Does the job just fine, although at times I wish I had the Hemi. Still have another year to go on my lease. Might keep mine after lease end or turn it in and get a Limited w/ either the 4.7L or the Hemi, too early to tell at this point.

#39 ·
V6, finally happy with it after $600+ in mods, does what it needs to off-road.

#42 ·
Got the 5.7L Hemi and very happy with it!

#45 ·
I started off with the 3.0ltr CRD Diesel, then I discovered the 5.7 HEMI....and no looking back!!!

#47 ·
i did get the v6 and would love to have got'n the 5.7 just for towing . i think for offroading 3.7 will do fine, still i would love to figure out how to get the most out of the 3.7:)

#48 ·
took the kids to San Diego in Sept. i have the 3.7 ( my wife-5'9", my three boys 5'8",6'1",and 5'3" also my baby girl 3'8" thats 6 of us oh ya and three suit cases, a duffle bag ,and a cooler total weight in and on top i would say 1000lbs .... from AZ to CA .some down shifting through the mtn's but other than that i was impressed!

#50 ·
got the 3 litre oil burner in mine.

its back into Jeep hospital for a cold start issue.

as an engineer who makes sure the back up diesel gen sets start 1st time in the cold I know its glow plugs or the glow plug control circuit.

dealer had it for a week said he had fixed it and it still won't start from cold without 10 goes on the glow plugs.

said it was loss of communication between control module and relay and I think theres a protective device/cut out operating as the glow plugs are goosed.

#52 ·
4.7L here. The Hemi would've been nice for the Engine Management System (I think that's what it's called).

#53 ·
4.7L here. The Hemi would've been nice for the Engine Management System (I think that's what it's called).
MDS--Multi-Displacement System

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.