Jeep Commander Forum banner

HyperTech MaxEnergy for the 3.7L V6

24K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  luckyse7ens 
#1 ·
FYI guys,

HyperTech has come out with their MaxEnergy Programmer for the 2007-2010 3.7L V6 Commanders............. But wait! How about us with 2006s!

I would recommend everyone with a 2006 XK or know someone with a 2005-2006 WK to call or email HyperTech to ask them if they make the MaxEnergy for their vehicle. Most vendors base what products to sell on demand.

#36 ·
It's worth the cost if you ever plan to do a gear swap.

#40 ·
I'm getting fairly poor MPG, not sure why. Doing 50-55 on flat roads for a few miles and only getting 19 MPG. When I had previously been checking over the past few thousand miles, I would be getting at least 21-22 in the same instance. The only things that have changed are mileage, the programming, and it now being winter. Vehicle was driven for roughly 20 minutes at these speeds before I checked the EVIC (was 45 degrees out). It may be a cold and winter fuels thing as last year my MPG went to absolute crap during the colder months. If I get a chance sometime soon, I'll go back to stock again and see if it fares any better.

I bought this vehicle used at 116k and it's now at 127k. I haven't noticed any obvious performance differences since I've had it, but I have no idea if the plugs are in good condition or completely shot. And I know it can happen. My own mother is driving her 09 Hemi Aspen around with 100k miles and is still on the ORIGINAL plugs...

#41 ·
Every vehicle I've owned gets poor winter fuel economy. Computer managed vehicles tend to run rich when warming to operating temps which uses more fuel. Also, winter fuel formulas are made for better vaporization. It vaporizes better, but stores less fuel energy.

My fuel economy just dropped in the past couple of weeks. I suspect my local stations have switched to the winter formulas. Happens every year around this time even though we rarely see freezing temps here in Vegas.

#43 ·
Every vehicle I've owned gets poor winter fuel economy. Computer managed vehicles tend to run rich when warming to operating temps which uses more fuel. Also, winter fuel formulas are made for better vaporization. It vaporizes better, but stores less fuel energy.

My fuel economy just dropped in the past couple of weeks. I suspect my local stations have switched to the winter formulas. Happens every year around this time even though we rarely see freezing temps here in Vegas.
Ethanol, winter formulas often have more ethanol in them, ethanol has far less energy density than gasoline and it will reduce mileage of the vehicle compared to using straight gasoline.

The Commander is NOT Flex Fuel, but in the other Flex Fuel vehicles I have owned, people that tried E85 (85% ethonal) in their Flex Fuel vehicle report horrible gas mileage, like 1/2 the normal mileage. That makes sense since ethonal has half the energy density of gasoline (i.e. you have to burn twice as much to produce the same amount of energy output).

The other addtives "usually" make for very little difference in the actual energy density of the fuel. People constantly make the mistake of thinking higher octane fuel has more energy density, and they will get a performance gain from using it, it doesn't and they don't get a performance gain.* The octane is just a property of the fuel that your engine requires, higher performance engines require a property of the fuel that is higher octane.

I suspect its a combination of factors like you said though.

*But, the modern computer engine controls are adaptive and constantly tuning your engine, so some people have actually shown a tiny performance gain when experimenting with different octanes, and that is likely only true for the conditions that they were doing the experiment. Others might get slightly worse performance.

Remember, the number one cause of new cars being hard to start and stalling while the engine is cold in cold weather, is the owner using higher than recommended octane fuel. It has to deal with the vaporization that VegasUnderworld talked about.

#45 · (Edited)
My Jeep is STOCK, down to the tires and paper air filter(besides NGK iridium's which I doubt does anything). I did remove the plastic cover over the intake behind the grille.

I received mine in the mail yesterday, updated it on the PC flawlessly and plugged it in.

IIRC I chose:
regular gas tune
195* Fan
+200 RPMs shift points (I may try a few hundred more in the future)
stock tires
stock gears

Right away throttle response was improved, downshifts under acceleration are MUCH better, upshifts under acceleration are less sloppy as well.

MPG improvements might be as much as 2 or more, I removed the lower air dam around the same time.

I purchased the 52001 on ebay which is the OLD model and it updated NP.

It certainly seems to pull better in the higher revs and does not hunt for gears or drop a gear going uphill as often. Still feels like a v6 trying to drag a heavy brick around though

According to hypertech the big gains really seem to happen in the higher revs (4400+), which is where the stock tune flatlines/drops off.

So far happy with the improvements based on the amount that I paid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.