Jeep Commander Forum banner

Wheel Spacers Q & A (If you have a question, post it here)

152K views 382 replies 131 participants last post by  outdrsmn 
#1 ·
Anyone using the 1.25” wheel adapter with the stock rims and 265/70R17’s know how much clearance they have to the steering knuckle? If you do, could you measure it?
I would be grateful… I’ll come over and mow your yard!

I’m considering a Centerline Wheel, the “Stingray III” 17x8” with a 5” backspacing. According to my calculations (if they’re correct) this rim will sit in ¼” further than the above set-up. Do you think this will fit?

I’m not sure if this will provide enough clearance for the above tire and will be a PITA if I have to order it and mount a tire to find out.

Thanks

-mike

centerlinewheels.com/imag...5101332_sr.jpg

#2 ·
Wheel Spacers??

Hey everyone, Im new to the forum! I just got my Black 2006 Commander last week, prior to driving and building up my old 1999 Wrangler Sahara. I really like the look of the stock wheels on the commander. however i would like them to sit flush with the body rather than being so inset. I found these 1 inch thick wheel spacers made out of billet aluminum, (is that strong/safe?) for a 5x5 wheel bolt pattern, and i was curious if any of you run something similar? if i were to install these would my tires rub? I would really appreciate some input!

THanks A lot!
-Jordan H

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
Re: Wheel Spacers??

I am curious too, I was looking to get some 23'' rims, and wanted to get a fatter lip= I need a spacer.

#4 ·
#5 ·

I found those exact ones but without the "spidertrax" expensive name that jacks up the price. They run $69.99 for our bolt pattern and you can select either 1 inch thick, 1.25 inch thick, 1.5 thick, 1.75 thick, and 2.0 inchs thick! I just wanted to use the 1inch spacer to make my tires flush with the body, i just need to know if my tires will rub the fenders at full turn or anything among those lines! if anyone runs wheel spacers like those PLEASE give me some input, im on the brink of ordering them!
thanks alot
-Jordan

#6 ·

Where are you going to order them from?

#7 ·

i cant post a freakin URL yet because i havent made 4 posts on this forum, dumbest thing i have ever come across.. but if you go to google and type in ezaccessories, it should pop up, and it was under wheel adapters. let me know if you find out anything, because i want to order them tomorrow! gotta find out if they will clear though!

#9 ·

Nice Find! What size tires are you running? We have the 265/65r17 Revos and I think last week we may have rubbed but I couldn't find any evidence in the wheel wells where we made contact. Here is my though though that since we are already close and by adding a 1.25 spacer the wheel will be rotating on a larger radius from the center of rotation (ball joints) and I think it will actually cause more rubbing when the wheel is turned and the suspension is compressed? I have never run a wheel spacer on a front wheel before so I'm not sure on this.....any thoughts?

#11 ·

Commander: i am running the 245 forteras that come stock, i have no lift i just wanted to use a 1" spacer to push my wheels out flush with the body of the jeep. do you think it would clear? the jeep will never go "off-roading" thats what my wrangler is for haha!

#12 ·

Commander said:
Here is my though though that since we are already close and by adding a 1.25 spacer the wheel will be rotating on a larger radius from the center of rotation (ball joints) and I think it will actually cause more rubbing when the wheel is turned and the suspension is compressed?
This is possible. It really depends on where it would rub. Adding a wheel spacer is a substitute for switching to wheels that have a different backspacing. Typically, the wheel spacer will eliminate rubbing but there are cases that the change in geometery can cause the wheel to rub in a different spot.

#13 ·

I dont think the stock wheels with the 245's will rub but I couldn't say for sure. I would think that they wouldnt since the diameter of the tire isnt changing. In our case, even with the lift the larger tires are very close. My biggest concern is the gap between the inside of our tire and the upper ball joint stud. I can barely fit a finger in between the two:eek: . The wider stance would be a benefit as well.

Gotta put tires on my truck tomorrow so that will dent our jeep stuff account:(

#14 ·

Thanks alot for all of your input guys! I just ordered them and they should arrive sometime next week (wed or thurs) Ill throw them on and let you guys know how they work out! ill also snap a few pics, i have a feeling that the new stance will make the jeep look real aggressive..?

thanks again!
-Jordan

#15 ·

Sweet! Let us know. Can you take some before and after pics? Also take one with the wheel turned so we can see the clearance to the fender. Thanks!

#17 · (Edited)
Re: Anyone using the 1.25" wheel adapeters?

Non-scientifically, the best I can tell, is 1.250 inches from the nearest portion of sidewall, to the bolt that comes down the furthest from the steering knuckle.

Pic of adaptors:

#18 ·

WHEEL SPACERS ARE ON!

No rubbing whatsoever! and it made my Commander look like a land rover LR3! these 1 inch wheel spacers are great! excellent company as well, shipped from cali all the way to Michigan in 2 days! i'll be sure to post pics when i have more time, ive got to run to class, but ill post pics tonight.

-Jordan

#19 ·

Cool! cant wait for the pics. Does it feel any more stable with the wider stance?

#20 ·

Yes, the Jeep feels much more stable. collectively the spacers add a total of 2 inches to the vehicles track. I just drove out to school and back, 35 miles round trip, and so far there is absolutely no difference in the ride quality, besides the improved handling. Here are 4 pictures, 2 berfore and 2 after. Let me know what you guys think!

BEFORE # 1

AFTER # 1

BEFORE # 2

AFTER # 2

MY 1999 WRANGLER:

#21 ·

Well that made up my mind. Man they look great! Thanks for getting those on the forum. I'm already working in the Mrs's:D

Commander is a beauty too. I love the Black but in Az it's damn hot enough already.

#24 ·
Wheel adapters

I was thinking about wheel adapters to get a larger selection of wheels. 5 on 4.5 would probably be one of the most popular bolt patterns. Adding spacers even to the stock wheels really adds to the stance. Anyone have adapters on? Is our 5 on 5 the same as Chevy's? Any thoughts?

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.