Jeep Commander Forum banner

07 Commander bogging down on hill

8K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  06hemixk 
#1 ·
New here. Hoping for some advice. I have a 07 Jeep Commander V8. A few months back I noticed it would slow down on hills while driving on Interstate or elsewhere.
I live on a steep hill that you have to make a sharp right turn to start up. Usually going no more than 10 mph. Just as I start up the hill, the Jeep just bogs down.
Took it to the dealership and they did a tune up which it did need. That solved the slowing on the hills on interstate.
But, same old thing on my private road. Today I let it pull the hill without taking my foot off the gas and giving it gas again. Just let it go to see if it would make it. Went 5 mph and the tach was at 2 all the way.
Some have suggested partially plugged cat converter but dealer says no. I did detect metal bouncing in the cat but dealer said no and now I do not detect that.
Scheduled to go back to dealership but want advice. Help!

#7 · (Edited)
No, you didn't post in the wrong forum. Most likely no one that has read this has an answer for you. I know I don't and I've been here for almost 7 years.

#4 ·
Also wanted to add that back in the late summer when it was very hot and humid I noticed something else happening. When I pulled into the garage I noticed the water that normally drains from the AC was super hot. I would see droplets actually sizzling as they hit the floor.

Never happened before but I just thought it was due to how hot it was.

#5 ·
Really desperate for some help!!!

So I am new here. Maybe I posted my thread in the wrong area? I posted in the dealership area and I have 67 views and no answers. Can someone please look at my thread and help?

Jeep Commander bogging down when going up hill.

Thank you in advance.:)

#6 ·
You might need a firmware update to the computer system in your jeep. Check for recalls. It would be free at any jeep dealership if this were the case.

If this is not your issue, I would think it might be exhaust related... Take it to any mechanic and ask them to check your exhaust system.

#8 ·
So when going up your driveway, did you manually put the trans in first gear for the heck of it to see if for some reason it was starting in 2nd? Sounds like either a backpressure issue or a transmission issue.. My V-6 does a strange thing on hills, it upshifts even though it's struggling.. I put the peddle right to the iron and it downshifts.. This mercedes transmission shifts smoothly but it doesn't work right IMO.. Seems to be a programming issue I would think, someday I'll have the dealer hook it up..

#9 ·
This commander has run smoothly until the last few weeks when it started this on the hill. I've lived here 15 years. It just bogs down starting up the hill and only way to fix it is to release gas, then give it more gas. Trying to figure out what the issue is because the dealership is getting no codes. They did a TSB update but I found out it was not even for my year vehicle.
Today the transmission seems to be clunking into several gears. Around 35 to 40 and then at 55 it really doesn't want to shift. Tachs up to 3,000 before it will shift. I'm thinking now that this issue with my hill is the beginning of the transmission messing up.
Does anyone know if it hurts the vehicle if a update for a 2006 commander is applied to a 2007 model Commander? Would that affect the transmission. It was TSB 18-049-07 or 18-014-09. One of them superceded the other, can't remember which one.
Going back to the dealership on Wednesday of this week to continue the fight. Why are their favorite words "We can't replicate the problem".
Chrysler told them to find a hill similar to mine and test drive it with me.
Any thoughts?

#12 ·
The fact that your fix is to release the gas, which is a method to disengage the torque converter and then press it again which gives you a little push in speed, until it locks up again. Im thinking fluid levels maybe, so the hill makes the fluid push to the back of the tranny, which affects the torque converter to engage causing bog. I noticed our converters tend to engage quite early. Also the fact its clunking says low fluid, when the pressure builds up enough, it just drops final gear in, at about 55...

#13 ·
Fluid levels have been checked. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Commander. I seem to remember hearing someone mentioning the problem that occurs at 35 to 40 mph. Has to be transmission. Does the computer throw any kind of code when the transmission is messing up?

#14 ·
Possible faulty tcm, which would control the TQ lockup. is there any difference with Tow haul engaged?

#15 ·
Is the transmission work covered under the extended powertrain warranty? And does the computer throw any codes when it is a transmission problem?

I have found that when I go up my hill from the right it always happens. I can pull into my neighbor and turn around, go up the hill entering from the left and it goes up the hill fine.

Remember here I am a woman and have no clue what the TCM is. English please.

#17 ·
Remember here I am a woman and have no clue what the TCM is. English please.
My apologies. The TCM is the Transmission Control Module. and yes, more often than not it will throw on the check engine light and a code.

Adondo
Valid point on the Esp system but wouldnt the traction light come on when its being engaged? A lot of the time mine tries to control the roll condition with wheel braking and then if i really push her she throttles back.

It also would not surprise me if her wheel input sensor needed to be calibrated, if its off to one side than it could also engage the esp.

#16 ·
I just discovered this thread.

The XK's ESP system is a drive by wire. A long time ago, I found that what feels like a completely gutless rig when driving on soft sand is just the ESP system taking away your throttle. It's IMPOSSIBLE to blast up a dune with the ESP system on because it will "run out of power" because the computer "thinks" the Jeep is bouncing around too much and is going to tip over or the like. You would swear for all the world that your Jeep has the power of a lawn mower engine under the hood.

You might try this: turn off the ESP system with a long press of the ESP/traction control button. You have to hold the thing for at least 20 seconds while driving slow, or parked. Finally, the dash display will say "ESP system disabled" and you then have whatever power you want feeding to the engine via the pedal. Full throttle sand plumes from your tires now works, and you can blast up steep dunes. If that cures it, then the G-force sensor or related circuits is shutting you down. (Removing your throttle input) The ECM might think your hill is too steep, or the Jeep is leaning when it's not.

#18 ·
The traction light comes on when a tire is slipping. You can usually hear a buzzing sound as well, which is a rapid brake pulse to control the wheel spin.

When the ESP system is off, you have full control of the Jeep. You risk rolling it if taking hard turns and the like, but that's the way it is.

ESP = Electronic Stability Program
ECM = Engine Control Module
TCM = Transmission Control Module
BCM = Body Control module. (Controls lighting, dome light timing, etc. etc.)

If a wheel speed sensor fails, (Happened to me a couple months ago) you get warnings such as SERVICE 4x4 SYSTEM on the display, and maybe the ABS warning light.

If your ESP system "thinks" the Jeep is getting unstable, it will remove throttle from you, but probably won't display anything. That's why I said to hold in the button until it's disabled, then try your problem hill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.