Jeep Commander Forum banner

Lost Spare

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  limitedxk 
#1 · (Edited)
We lost the spare tire and wheel for our 07 Commander! Had it in for service and I noticed there was a large void area under the Jeep. Apparently the steel cable rusted through and the spare fell out. It had never been used. I don't need the special chrome rim. I've contacted the local salvage yards with no Commanders available to strip one off of. Looking for a inexpensive suggestion for replacing, prefer to remount as it was previously. Is this a known problem with the steel cable? Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Are you looking for the cable assembly or the rim?

#7 ·
Just a thought, but I bet that the cable was cut and the tire was taken. The cable should not have rusted thru.

#11 ·
It almost looks like someone tightened it too much and twisted it off.

#15 ·
That was true a few years back.

Is Slime TPMS safe?
Yes, Slime makes a TPMS safe formula for cars and trucks with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS). Look for the yellow bottle and the TPMS Safe icon. Many of Slime’s Spair kits also feature TPMS Safe Sealant. If your vehicle has TPMS, try the Smart Spair or Safety Spair from Slime.

#17 ·
Maybe the spare was loose, and the cable failed from fatigue. Not sure even I buy that one though, as the tire and cable would be sliding back and forth underneath rather than bending/kinking the cable.

Maybe the cable was just defective from day one.

#18 ·
I cracked a rim and was able to find several on Craigslist locally. I paid $100 for a new rim with an almost new tire.

This post has been deleted
#19 · (Edited)
i would have to agree on it being stolen. don't know for sure but you would probably feel, hear or see the spare coming off at any speed. but anyway to solve ur problem i would say either try the dealer or hit the junk yards. Another option is a hitch mounted spare tire carrier. I made one a lil while ago it works out pretty good. I'm making another that folds down so you can access the rear door easier.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.