Jeep Commander Forum banner

What is the Correct Coolant for the Commander?

144K views 72 replies 18 participants last post by  BBCBIRD 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I added some Prestone Coolant to my 06 Jeep Commander Hemi, and I want to make sure it's okay?

Thanks

#35 ·
I think that for a complete system flush the replacement coolant should be the HOAT or G-05 equivalent. However to add in some 50/50 just to top off the overflow tank I would think that any of the Chrysler Compliant or Universal coolants would not do any harm or have any serious affects other than cutting down the life of the coolant. Realistically, if I were a jeep dealer I would tell you that you should only use the Mopar fluid. Just like you should only use Mopar oils, batteries, and any other fluid that may cost less elsewhere but we all know that you can use non-Mopar stuff that works just as well or better.

#37 ·
See I think you have it backwards. If you were to do a complete flush of the coolant system on our commanders then you should be able to use any brand of 50/50 in the radiator since you completely flushed the system. That means there is no mixing of the two different coolants so no adverse effects should take place.

Now if you are just topping off our vehicles you would need to use a (HOAT) coolant so there are no adverse effects.

#39 ·
Did anyone else happen to call their local dealer and see what they had to say?

#41 ·
Thats a good question. Honestly Im not sure how this thread got so long. Just do as the owners manual states and put in HOAT coolant and there will be no issues. Plain and simple. If you going to take the time to go to the store and buy 50/50 why not just get the coolant that says HOAT and not worry about it? :stickpoke:

#44 ·
DO NOT PUT OATS IN THE COOLANT! that will defiantly clog the radiator.

#45 ·
Especially steel-cut, but you can use rolled in a pinch as long as you drain and flush immediately when you're back in civilization.

#48 ·
I'm with 07JEEPXK. It's not a "ka-boom" sorta mistake or condition, but overtime the system isn't working optimally and the fluid isn't doing it's most efficient work in that solution. It's your Jeep, but I wouldn't want to buy it second hand from you.

It's like aircraft fuel, sure you can burn AV Gas in a turbine engine and it won't go "boom", but you're going burn out the combustion chambers and cans eventually and total out your $250K+ turbine engine...

#49 ·
You make some good points and I appreciate it. I bought my Commander to travel the USA and I'll let you know how it holds up. So far it's the finest vehicle I have ever owned.
Not much chance of you buying my Comander Second hand. I still have 2 Cherokees in the drive. Just can't sell my old Jeeps once they have become part of the family. I have willed them to my Grandson so he can figure out what to do with them. They both run like new, but this Commander is the cat's buttocks. (Can't say "ass" here, might put a lifetime emotional scar on some kid.)
HT

#56 ·
Exactly. Im not sure whats so hard to understand about that.

#57 ·
:deadhorse:

#58 ·
You know. Gosh

#59 ·
I noticed my Commander has past its 3 year mark. I know the manual tells you the coolant is good for 5 years/100,000 miles.

Does anyone else want to change there sooner? I guess I am just used to the old style coolant. I usually changed mine every other year or so, but now I feel that I have to change it.

Does our radiator have a drain plug (bolt style)? I could not find one, but I did find this on the lower corner (driver's side).

#60 ·
Looks like a drain to me.

#62 ·
If it looks like a duck...

#63 ·
Sorry to beat a dead horse and years after the thread died, but I got here because it was linked to a new thread giving out info on Anti-Freeze.

Prestone has lost several Trade Court Cases, but the court has no authority to force them to change the labeling on their bottles. The courts have found Prestone has no basis to make their claim their anti-freeze mixes with others, nor that it is meets the recommendations of manufacturers that recomend using the type of anti-freeze they are marketing. Some day there will be justice and Prestone will suffer the enourmous liability they deserve by their deceptive claims.

It might be worth noting in the fine print on the Prestone bottle it will tell you that if your going to use it, you should drain and flush your cooling system completly before adding it. Huh? That doesn't sound like an antifreeze that works with all makes and models and mixes with any other antifreeze?

Next time you're in an autoparts store that sells Prestone Products, put a bottle of Prestone "All Makes, All Models, Mixes with any color anti-freeze" next to a bottle of Prestone GM Dexcool, compare the list of ingredients, THE LIST OF INGREDIENTS ARE THE SAME FOR BOTH ANTI-FREEZES.

And the key, that makes this undeniable is the ingredient "2EHA" or "2-Ethylhexanol", this chemical is only used in GM Dexcool. NO other antifreeze uses 2EHA, and it is the problem chemical that has created all the complaints you hear about GM Dexcool.

Some of the Japanese Manufacturers have their own form of OAT anti-freeze, those do NOT use 2EHA, but they also are NOT for mixing with other forms of anti-freeze.

GM has reformulated Dexcool to fix some of the problems that happened when it was first fielded and that has worked to some degree. So the fact that people have used Prestone's "All Makes, All Models, Mixes with any Color AntiFreeze" and didn't have a problem "YET", is NOT proof that it is good for your vehicle. What is always best is to use the proper fluid recommended for your vehicle and do NOT mix it with other fluids.

Yes, it is sad the state of affairs in the Automotive aftermarket, that so many consumers are so ignorant about their vehicles that companies actually get away with unethical behaviour like this, because even the few that know better are drowned by the millions that have no clue.

Chrysler/Ford and MB use HOAT, and the only aftermarket suitable replacement that I know of, that is actual HOAT is Zerex G-05.

The original green IAT type antifreeze, is arguably still the best antifreeze for protecting a vehicle, PROVIDED YOU USE DISTILLED/DEMINERALIZED WATER AND CHANGE IT AT THE RECOMMENDED INTERVAL. People kept mixing IAT with heavy mineral ladened tap water, and leaving it in their vehicles for 5 or 6 years, then when the antifreeze gunked or clugged up the radiator or some other type of failure due to their lack of proper maintenance, they blamed it on the antifreeze. That is why the manufacturers came up with long life anti-freeze that works with mineral laden tap water, it doesn't protect as well as the original IAT. But if your lazy, don't know the difference between tap water and distilled/demineralized water, or won't bother changing your antifreeze ever, then the long life stuff will protect you better.

Although its NOT a good idea to mix different types of antifreeze, the green IAT and HOAT are very tolerant with mixing with each other, they should NOT cause a problem as long as you change the antifreeze at the shorter interval for the two types mixed together.

And finally, NEVER TRUST THE COLOR, its just die the manufacturer adds to the antifreeze, the color won't tell you what kind of antifreeze it is, just what color die the manufacturer added to it. Prestone's "All Makes, All Models...." is yellow, while their identical Dexcool is Orange. Chrysler HOAT is Red while the identical Zerex G-05 is clear/yellow.

I saw a guy buy Red RV potable water antifreeze and was adding it to his chrysler vehicle, said that its red like what's in there, it must be the same thing. Ummmm, its NOT.

#64 ·
Good info Mongo. Thanks.

#65 ·
Both of these colors are OEM coolant.

#66 ·
I just replaced my water pump in my '06 4.7L. I drained the radiator by removing the allen head setscrew (located on the flange attached to the upper radiator hose) and using the draincock in your photo above (attached a piece of surgical tubing from the draincock to a bucket - kept things pretty clean).

Back to the point of this thread, I did refill using Zerex G-05 coolant (~$15 per jug for 50/50 pre-mix at NAPA auto parts).

#68 · (Edited)
If you're talking for the Commander, they are both HOAT anti-freeze, they should mix just fine.

Keep in mind, later Chrysler vehicles, like 2012 and on, Chrysler switched to OAT anti-freeze, so those vehicles the factory fill Mopar Antifreeze is NOT compatible with HOAT antifreeze. Also, Chrysler used IAT antifreeze up till 2000 in most of their vehicles, it will be green, and although you can mix HOAT with IAT, you have to change the mixture of the antifreeze at the shorter interval for the two, 3yr/36k miles for IAT.

Since Zerex advertises that it is the HOAT for Ford/Chrysler/Mercedes, it is likely identical or nearly identical in everyway except the dye they use.

BUT, you need to change your antifreeze every 5yr/100k miles, that means completely draining/flushing the cooling system and putting in all new fluid. If you only drain half of it, then the other half is still old anti-freeze with depleted anti-corrosion additives. Its when the anti-corrosion additives deplete that you get gunk, sand, solids, scaling and clogging in the cooling system.

Flushing just means filling with clear water to flush it out, you don't need to buy those harsh chemical "flushes" you see in the auto store, if you don't need them, that's a good way to leave some acid left over in your cooling system doing damage to it.

Heck, if you're filling up with the same anti-freeze, I'd say you'd be fine with just draining it fully and refilling it, thing is, its near impossible to drain the Commanders cooling system, unless you use compressed air and get creative, so you should flush it with fresh water, even use distilled water from the grocery store if you have hard tap water in your area.

#69 ·
I weighed the pros and cons and just took it to the dealer.
they did a complete flush of the radiator and lines. Cost
was $130, but I didn't have to spend time flushing it, or
trying to dispose of the old stuff. They also did a free 23
multipoint inspection, and said everything looked great.
They did everything from air pressure to topping off the
windshield wiper fluid.. LOL

It was worth it for another 5 years...

#70 ·
The overflow bottle is empty on my 07 Hemi, ever since the dealership flushed the coolant system and refilled it. I'm hoping the bottle was just overlooked and not an indication of a slow coolant leak somewhere.

So...after reading this long discussion on HOAT (and several others), I'm just gonna pick up a jug of ZEREX G05 and top the bottle off. I'll see if I can get a straight bottle and some grocery store distilled water to mix it myself. I hate paying too much for distilled water.

I never bought coolant before that wasn't green, so this is new stuff for me. Hopefully, that takes care of it and the low coolant isn't an indication of an issue.

#71 ·
Make sure the dealer put the correct coolant in. Do not mix the HOAT with another coolant.

#72 ·
2 things:

When draining and refilling the coolant, air often gets trapped in the coolant system. If you do it properly, you should bleed all air out of the system. But a lot of dealerships are NOT very good and often do NOT do the job properly. As you drive the vehicle the cooling system will force out the air and draw in fluid from the overflow jug reducing its level. That might be what you're seeing.

Or you do have a leak in the cooling system.

The overflow jug only indicates the fluid level if the system is working properly. It is smart to open the pressure cap (only when the engine is cold) and check the level below it.

Zerex G-05 is the proper coolant for your vehicle. Either mix it 50/50 with distilled water or buy the pre-mixed coolant.

Putting pure coolant into the jug, once is probably OK, but the coolant is designed to be used at 40% to 70% concentration. Any more or any less, you do NOT get the proper protection or performance.

Pure anti-freeze has about the same freezing temp as water, it has to be mixed with water to lower the freezing temp for both. Anti-Freeze does NOT cool well, water cools much better, so using too much anti-freeze in the mix and it won't cool well. Water corrodes the engine and cooling system, anti-freeze has anti-corrosion additive to prevent that, and its the anti-corrosion additives that wear out, that is why you have to change it and that is why if you don't you'll find you're cooling system gets damaged from the effects or by-products of corrosion; so use too little anti-freeze will NOT protect. So keep it close to a 50/50 mix.

#73 ·
I'm guessing it was just a matter of the dealership not properly burping the air from the system. I had a 2.2l engine in my old Dodge Aries that was just the same way, where you had to physically bleed off the air trapped inside the thermostat box.

The antifreeze level in the radiator looks fine to me, so hopefully the $13 jug of Zerex G-05 will do the trick. I expected it to be more expensive, so that was a big plus...but I had to go to three parts stores till I found a place carrying it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.