Jeep Commander Forum banner

Code P0700 = Transmission Control System Malfunction

135K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  tyler.d.crips 
#1 · (Edited)
I Have a 2006 Commander 2wd 3.7 L. with the check engine light on. I took it to Advance Auto, they scanned it and said Code P0700 Trans control malfunction. And Uo404 Invalid data recieved from control module gear shift. Anyone have this problem or know how I can fix this problem,Please let me know. :bowdown:

The trans acts funny going about 30mph let off gas just coast then get on gas abit and let off and the trans acts and sounds like it shifts into low gear,when you let off gas the RPM's go up and you can feel the torque like it shifted into low gear.

Now when in drive all the dash shifter lights are on P,R,N,D,O/D all are lit up, should and use to be just the gear you are in is/was lit up.

Jeep is 2 months out of warranty.:grim: :(

#3 · (Edited)
From justanswer.com:

Question
I have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee with the v-6 auto trans and sometime all of the trans indicators light up at the same time and gives me a drivability issue. What would cause this? the dealer has had it three seperate times and since they cant duplicate the proplem they don't know what to do.

Submitted 639 days and 8 hours ago.
Category: Car Value: $15 Status: CLOSED
+Read More

Optional Information
Optional Information:
2005 Jeep grand cherokee 3.7 v6

Already Tried:
I take it to the dealer when the check engine light comes on and of course by the time i get it there the light has turned off and they say they don't know what to do.

Accepted Answer
Hi Brad,

This is a rather common problem, I'm suprised they are having trouble diagnosing it.

Your jeep has an electronically controlled transmission, with 2 computers.

transmission control module - does all the shifting, etc..
electronic shifter module - located down in the shifter assembly. basically all it does is relay what gear your in to the transmission control module
95% of the time it's caused by the electronic shifter module not relaying the proper information to the transmission module. That's why your display gets wacky, as the car doesn't know what gear your in. Make sense?

The fix is to replace the electronic shifter module. Hopefully your still under warranty, as they are quite expensive, for what they do.

This problem will store a code "implausible data recieved from electronic shift module". Even if the car is back to normal operation, and the light has turned off this code will be stored in memory. If it's acted up recently (say last 300 miles or so) and nobody has erased the codes, I'd try another dealer, they should have no trouble diagnosing it.

I hope this helps answer your question, if so please click accept. If you need more information, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
Leo

Expert: LeoPos. Feedback: 100.0 %Accepts: 70Answered: September 27 2007Auto Service Technician
2005 Dodge,Jeep,Chrysler ASE master technician of the year

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/vfqz-2005-jeep-grand-cherokee-v-6-auto#ixzz0JfxZADwJ&D

#4 ·
From www.check-engine-light.com/jeep :

Question: Hello, 2005 6cyl jeep grand cherokee. 15,800 miles. check engine light stayed lit-up when i started car. next morning was normal. 5 days later,stayed lit-up again. jeep was 4 weeks past orig.3yr warranty period. took to dealer and they ran diagnostic test. fault code was u0404. said i needed to replace shifter/electronic control module. since it was past warranty, it would cost me $657.00. i said i'd let them know. called jeep to find out if they would help on cost to replace. jeep talked to service manager at dealer and manager told me they would replace for $190.00 as per jeep. offer is good for 30 days. engine light has not stayed on since i told dealer i'd let them know which is now 22 days. should i believe i neeed to replace module and accept offer? thanks - Ron, September 2008

Answer: Hi Ron. The description for a U0404 code is Invalid Data Received From Gear Shift Control Module. Since a Jeep factory-trained technician has looked at your specific problem, given you the code and diagnosis, I'd say, YES, definitely take them up on the offer and get it fixed. The reality is if you don't fix it now it may wind up costing you the full $657 a year from now. Do you see what I'm saying? I guess the other option would be to take it to a different shop and get a second opinion. But honestly since they've already looked at it and are willing to give you a discount on the repair, I say let them do it! Thanks for the question.

#6 ·
you may want to check with the dealership...this may be on eof the problems that called for the recall for the tranny to be reprogrammed.

#8 ·
The TSB # 21-016-06 REV.A lists
Groupe: Transmission & Transaxle
Date: November 15,2006

Shifter Bezel Service
2005 - 2007 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2005 - 2007 (WH) Grand Cherokee (international markets)
2006 - 2007 (XK) Commander
2006 -2007 (XH) Commander (international Markets)

part No. Description
68004143AC Bezel,shifter,with A580 transmission and without transfer case switch
68004144AC Bezel,shifter,with A580 transmisson and transfer case switch
68004145AC Bezel,shifter,with 545RFE transmission and without transfer case switch
68004146AC Bezel,shifter,with 545RFE transmission and transfer case switch

Link to 5 page TSB http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101606a.pdf

#9 ·
The Commander has been sounding funny recently (lifters, or normal HEMI sound I thought) and when I went for the oil change they looked at it, but didn't find anything. I figured it may have just been the Commander being jealous of all the attention my wife's new (to her) baby Wrangler sibling has been getting - and that it would get over it soon. No biggie. And then...

Today, I went to go see the fireworks and as I was backing out of the driveway, the transmission hesitated and then caught, but when I went to go forward, it was responding very sluggishly. I noticed that the transmission was stuck in 3rd and wouldn't go to anything else. After the fireworks (just a few miles away), I started it up and as I pulled into the long line to get out of the parking lot, it stalled out. It restarted fine, and actually seemed to run better (and was in "D" instead of "3" the whole time).

We just got home and I ran the DTC code and picked up the P0700 - the Transmission Control System Malfunction. I searched and found that others have had the same issue, but I don't recall seeing whether changing out the Module actually fixed the problem - or how much it cost. I'm taking it in on Monday.

Is the module something most Chrysler Dealers would have in stock? Is it used in other Chrysler vehicles? How long should I expect it to be out of my hands?

#10 ·
I replaced the ESM / Shifter bezel and No more problems. Check engine light is off and No more codes. The STEALERSHIP wanted $416.00 for the ESM/shifter bezel. I bought a new one from a Mopar Dealer on E-Bay for $189.00 + $ 9.95 shipping Brand New in the box 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. Seller has now uped the price to $319.95 + $9.95 shipping. I got a hell of a deal.

#12 ·
#11 ·
I had 2 codes P0700 & U0404 = Invalid data recieved from control module gear shift = ESM Shifter Bezel needed to be replaced. I replaced it 2 days ago and check engine light is out and trans shifts correctly now,No more codes. I have the 3.7L.

Yours is probable something differant since you dont have the U0404 code. I know the 4.7L have had alot of problems with the TCM trans. control module,There is a TSB out on them and I belive a recall also,but could be wrong on the recall. STEALERSHIP had to reprogram them.

If you dont get the answer here go on Jeepforum.com search for and ask Merlin Tech He is a Jeep Master Tech in the UK. You might get the answer right off of Jeepforum just post and see,if not Merlin Tech will know the correct answer.

#13 ·
Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a look!

#14 ·
Not looking good... the dealer picked up the P0700 (Transmission Control System Malfunction) plus P0876 (UD Pressure Switch Rationality) and P0736 (Reverse incorrect gear ratio). I guess its backwards and irrational - at least I know I need a female name now. =)

The dealership is dropping the pan and looking for some transmission filters that may be split (apparently there is a TSB for it). If they are, they will be replaced, if that isn't the issue, they will have to tear apart the transmission to look for burnt clutches or something like that. Regardless, it sounds like a bitch.

Happy to have my MaxCare Warranty right about now. If it goes past Wednesday, the warranty covers a rental for five days too. Bonus! I didn't even know that was in there.

#15 ·
1st code is primary.
2nd and 3rd codes are resultant.
Till primary code is resolved chasing resultant codes is a wast of time.
I don't dispute the T.S.B. for the cracked filters though.
That one has come up over and over on the forum.
If the clutches are burned (because of the filter allowing air into pump) the pan will have much clutch material at the bottom.
Then trans would have to be reconditioned before any more diagnosis could take place.
Usually though, the cracked filter case shows itself as delayed engagement, usually reverse.
Did your Jeep display any odd behavior before this occured?

Just asking to add to my and the other readers info,
Rob

#16 ·
The only strange behavior happened immediately prior to the code - I tried to go in reverse and it hesitated and then jerked into gear.

Although, I have noticed that over the past few weeks, it doesn't seem to have the same power at idle as it used to. I used to be able to throw it into Reverse and it would begin to move down the driveway - recently, it just sits there until I give it some gas.

#18 ·
had my filter changed two months ago and so far so good. theres several other tsb for the tranny. do a search and see if they can fix them also

#19 · (Edited)
A couple of years ago I had the same problem, but I could not use the gear select. I believe the dealership did replace the shifter control module.

Now, I noticed every time I put the key in and turn it on the message appears for a split second.

I have not noticed any problem, but should I worry for any future problems?

#21 ·
I have a 2007 Jeep commander with the 3.7 v6 and quadratrac 2 awd. Fow a while i was getting all gear selector lights lighting up when i shifted it into drive. I thought it was something i was doing. I now pull the shifter slower into drive and have not had this problem for months. just recently started getting the delayed reverse problem but have only noticed it when the jeep has been driven for a distance. I typically back into my parking spots so dont know if this is an issue when cold as well. I have been getting a weird vibration that happens very random. Sometimes at highway speeds sometimes while traveling slow. vehicle will accelerate and vibration increases. If I come to a compleat stop and accelerate again the issue goes away and all is well.

Thank You to any one with input
Andrew

#22 ·
I just recently purchased an 06 3.7L commander. And not 4 days after I got it I got this same code. Is this transmission control module considered part of the powertrain. Im fighting with the dealership to get them to cover the cost. I really dont want to dish out an extra $800 on a jeep I literally JUST purchased.

#23 ·
Well, in general, 'Powertrain' refers to the mechanical elements in the powertrain, beginning with the engine and ending at the final drive(s).
This, being electrical, would not be considered 'powertrain'.
To help with perspective, those of us with the lifetime powertrain warranty (original owners) would not have coverage on this component either, unless we have added a piggyback extended warranty.
The extended warranty, depending on the agreement, would cover the repair, not the powertrain coverage.

In your case, it would be at the dealers discretion if they would cover the repair, or possibly share the expense......but that means the dealer, not Chrysler, would be involved.

I would advise trying to get the dealer to at least share some of the expense and the part needed priced at dealer cost......again, at their discretion.....technically they owe you nothing so this would be a goodwill type situation.
I am assuming this is a Jeep dealer and all agree that this module is definatly the failed part.

Good luck,
Rob

#24 ·
my commander did the same yesterday

hi im new at this site and also new to jeep since i bought my firts jeep commander used is a 06, i had it for 5 months and yesterday i was driving to my house and all of a sudden i couldn't go faster at a stop light that was strange and it didnt go any faster that like maybe 20 mph and i had to go over a little hill and it was going so slow like 5 mph the check engine light came on and i was scared because i dont really have money to fix some kind of transmission problem so i decided to check it out at a autozone today but everything work fine and the engine light was gone,it has been working fine after that, this worries me because i will be on a road trip in 3 days and i will be using the commander i did call the service center and unless i pay 120 dls they cant tell me anything to help me. do anybody had this before and if you did does it come back or it was just a hiccup?
thanks

#25 ·
ESM/SHifter Bezel

Could someone help me out on where to get the part I have a jeep 2006 Commander dealership is want $600 for the part!!!! I know FLVJepper posted that you could get it on Ebay I can not find any on Ebay any help would be appreciated!!!! Looking for ESM/Shifter bezel!!!!

#28 ·
update on 06 commander

here is an update to my case
i took my jeep to the dealer and they charged me 260 dls to replace some wires that were broken or something like that so they called me december 23 and said it was fixed i paid and drove of 5 blocks later it does it again and i returned to the dealer , disappointed since you know they are supposed to be experts at jeeps and i told them that it was the control module everybody is talking about in this forum but you know they act like they know everything.
well they were very concern and said that they were going to fix it but it wasnt going to be ready since the next day was december 24 and they would open only half a day so i need it the car for a family reunion in california (im in denver) they called a rental car for me very cool i was supposed to pick it up the next day but they called me December 24 and said they had fixed the jeep and went pick it up and guess what it work!!!
they changed the whole transmission module and some other electronic stuff i didnt pay a penny for it, drove to california and back with out a problem
great service from go jeep west in golden co!!!!

#30 ·
P0700 p0758

On our return trip from Yellowstone and the Gran Tetons, trans started acting funny but I just thought it was the hills asscending and descending.
After about 20 miles the CEL came on and got codes P0700 and P0758.
Sitting at a dealership in Rapid City SD now hopefully they can get us rolling quickly.

No complaing for me mileage is right around 128,000.
A little inconvient so far from home.
Anybody have a dealer cost on replacing the shift module?

#31 ·
On our return trip from Yellowstone and the Gran Tetons, trans started acting funny but I just thought it was the hills asscending and descending.
After about 20 miles the CEL came on and got codes P0700 and P0758.
Sitting at a dealership in Rapid City SD now hopefully they can get us rolling quickly.

No complaing for me mileage is right around 128,000.
A little inconvient so far from home.
Anybody have a dealer cost on replacing the shift module?
Last January it was around $800

#32 ·
Finding the shifter bezel/ESM?!?!

I know I'm a bit late into the game, but I just purchased my 06 Commander 3.7L 16 days ago. I had an "As-Is Warranty" for 15 days from the dealership... yes. 15 days... dash lights up on day 16. Joy. :mofo: So I contacted the dealership, and guess what. Can't decide if they want to help. Not a yes. Not a no.

So I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow and they are going to run "tests" on it themselves. I know it is a P0700, as I ran it myself. Also came up with the "insufficient info" code. So I know I need to change out the shifter bezel/ESM.

The cheapest one I found was online and they want $602 for it. The local Jeep dealership wants $747, but said they could discount it to $600 for me, since I found the same part online. Has ANYONE found this part cheaper ANYWHERE???? I really do not want to dish out $600 for my new Jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.