Jeep Commander Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tire Size Calculator / Sidewall Description Data

18K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  LIBERTYinLIBERTY 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Those are good web sites. Thanks. I usually just went to tirerack and did the calculation manually, but this is much easier.

#4 ·
Thats pretty slick. I like the visual. And the Speedo change.

#5 ·
If anyone is interested, I wrote an Excel spreadsheet that calculates the physical dims of the tire, revs/mile, revs/km, speed (mph) & speed (km). I set it up with seven lines so you can input stock size and then compare below. Speeds are compared with stock tires at 60 mph. If anyone wants this I'll be happy to e-mail.

#5 · (Edited)
Tire Sizes

I never knew what all this meant, so I thought I would share the knowledge with those who care:
Reading Tire Sizes:

Example Size: P205/60R-15OWL
P - Passenger
Tire sizes can also start with the following:
LT - Light Truck
205 - Width in millimeters of tire from sidewall to sidewall.
60 - Aspect Ratio - Percentage of tread width that equals the sidewall height.
R - Radial
The letter “R” can also include the following:

HR - H=Speed Rating
VR - V=Speed Rating
ZR - Z=Speed Rating
15 - Rim diameter in inches.
Other letter combinations include:
OWL - Outlined White Lettering
RWL - Raised White Letters
W - Whitewall
B - Blackwall
ORWL - Outlined Raised White Letters
WW - White Wall
BW - Black Wall
Tires can also be listed as:
205/60R-15 93H
93H - 93 Load Index, H Speed Rating
Light Truck (LT) sizes can include a letter at the end of the size.
LT265/75R-16/C
C - Load Range
From Discount Tire Web Site

#7 ·
Thanks for the information, I too had some of the same questions.

#8 ·
The street tires on my Mustang are Z rated. I think the rating is 149 mph. I only exceeded that on the street one time up in Vermont. But since officer 49er is here it might not have happened and I don't have a picture of it happening for sure.

#9 ·
HueyPilotVN said:
The street tires on my Mustang are Z rated. I think the rating is 149 mph. I only exceeded that on the street one time up in Vermont. But since officer 49er is here it might not have happened and I don't have a picture of it happening for sure.
If you have no pictures, then it did not happen :)

#11 · (Edited)
I thought this was worth posting....but not sure where. If you have a better place for it, cool.

"Construction" tells you how the tire was put together. The "R" stands for radial, which means that the body ply cords, which are layers of fabric that make up the body of the tire, run radially across the tire from bead to bead. A "B" indicates the tire is of bias construction, meaning that the body ply cords run diagonally across the tire from bead to bead, with the ply layers alternating in direction to reinforce one another.​

"Wheel Diameter" is the width of the wheel from one end to the other. The diameter of this wheel is 15 inches.​

"Load Index" is a number corresponds to the maximum load in pounds that a tire can support when properly inflated. You will also find the maximum load in pounds and in kilograms molded elsewhere on the tire sidewall.​

"Speed Rating" is a number that corresponds to the maximum service speed for a tire. "H" means that the tire has a maximum service speed of 130 mph. Please note that this rating relates only to tire speed capability, and is NOT a recommendation to exceed legally posted speed limits; always drive within the legal speed limits.​

"DOT" means the tire is compliant with all applicable safety standards established by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). Adjacent to this is a tire indentification or serial number; a combination of numbers and letters with up to 12 digits.​

"UTQG" stands for Uniform Tire Quality Grading, a quality rating system developed by the Department of Transportation (DOT).​

The side of your tire, known as the sidewall, contains all the information you will need to know about your tire. Whether your tire says "Goodyear" or some other name, all tires are required to have this information.
"Tire Type" defines the proper use of the tire. P means this is a passenger car tire. If the tire had an LT then the tire would be for a light truck.
"Tire Width" is the width of the tire measured in millimeters from sidewall to sidewall. This tire is 215 millimeters.
"Aspect Ratio" is the the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width.​

#13 ·
Moved your post to this thread and temporarily stuck it so others will see it.

Thanks Jeep5253 for knowing where to move it too.

#14 ·
You're welcome.

#15 ·
Discussions on tire sizes and marking referenced in this thread can be found by clicking here

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.