Jeep Commander Forum banner

Possible Exhaust Leak???

48K views 100 replies 43 participants last post by  Deejay 
#1 ·
Im just curious if anyone has heard of there being problems with an exhaust leak on the 4.7 liter flex fuel engine. I just bought the Commander and it has approximately 600 miles on it now. When i get on the gas it sounds almost like there is an exhaust leak somewhere towards the front half of the vehicle. I checked out under the hood today and noticed that the fuel injectors make a loud noise and this might possibly be the noise that im hearing. Is this normal or should i get it looked at?

#3 ·
Nope, I have not done nothing at all to the Commander besides put gas in it!

#6 ·
Well i guess its a good thing that its not an exhaust leak but damm is that noise driving me crazy.

#7 ·
I have the 5.7, does the same thing. Sounds really crappy, I would rather hear just the rumble from the Magnaflow. The Jeep sounds good from the back, though.

#8 ·
Hello,

I also notice that if I let the jeep warm up to standard temperature, before driving in the morning, the noise is at lot less..... Every day I spend at least 5-9min letting the engine warm up and the effect is less noice from the engine compartment.:)

#9 ·
ALACRAN said:
Hello,

I also notice that if I let the jeep warm up to standard temperature, before driving in the morning, the noise is at lot less..... Every day I spend at least 5-9min letting the engine warm up and the effect is less noice from the engine compartment.:)
Do you have the Flex Fuel Engine or the regular 4.7? I think there were 5 states that dont use the flex fuel. NY and Ca are two of them if i recall correctly. Also how does the flowmaster sound on there?

#10 ·
I have the regular 4.7 engine. The flowmaster sounds good, not too loud but it gives you the sound of a low key V8. What I like about it is that compare to other applications, there is hardly any sound inside the cabin.... really happy about that.

#11 ·
07JeepXK said:
Do you have the Flex Fuel Engine or the regular 4.7?
The FlexFuel was not available on the 2006 models. It started with the 2007s.

#13 ·
sounds like exhaust leak

I have an 07 limited with the 5.7 hemi. Compleatly stock, with windows up you don't notice the sound. But with drivers window down, it sounds like a faint exhaust leak. Checked all connections and all is tight. Does anyone else have this problem with there hemi?

#14 ·
I'm glad someone else mentioned this. Yes, apparently all the Hemi's sound like this. I took it in to the dealer and they smoke tested mine and everything. I could not believe that a new vehicle would sound this way. I have and 08 Overland. So we wen't to the new car department and took out another Hemi powered Commander. It sounded worse than mine. From what I was told by the Service Manager, it's the way the air enters the intake manifold. Since then, I checked another Hemi Commander and yes, it sounded that way too. So for whatever reason, yes they do sound like they have an exhaust leak. Bugs me a little bit, but I'm getting use to it. Hope this helps.

Ryan

#15 ·
#17 ·
07hemijeep said:
I appreciate the info. I wonder if an after market intake system would solve that problem?
I have the same issue... I also have an aftermarket CAI and it does not change it.
-Hemi

#19 ·
I thought I was hearing things, but my 4.7 has a faint sound like an exhaust leak, but I don't notice it when it is warmed up. My '99 supercharged GTX Grand Prix with Ram Air had a worse intake noise when started cold and I found out it was associated with the MAF, and it would go away when warmed up. ???

#20 ·
I'll chime in on this one too. I have a 2006 4.7 with 40,000 mi. It just developed a what definitely sounds like an exhaust leak at the right side rear of engine. It sure sounds like exhaust manifold. Crack or gasket? I checked the pipe to manifold connection and that looks good. There sure is alot of spaghetti in the way for diagnosis. It makes the sound especially when you first start it and rev. Hardly anything when warm or idling or constant rpm's. I'm going to get a stethoscope and see if I can figure it out. It's unacceptable and frankly it scares me.(not covered by extended warranty and a major to replace if it is the manifold). I'll post again when I figure it out.

#23 ·
Well. Here's the update on exhaust leak: I crawled underneath this morning and and with mirror and flashlight found that the exhaust manifold is leaking at the cylinder head. ( that's passenger side/rear of engine). I put a wrench on one of the nuts and it turned really easy. The stud is broken off! There you have it, 40000 mi. and a really pain in the a## problem. I E-mailed jeep corp. and explained that exhaust is not covered in extended warranty but it is obviously a design error/flaw and that it is only fair and good business to take care of the problem. We'll see what happens from here. Anybody placing bets? I think I'll trade it in for an altima and just keep using my 96 cherokee for 4x4 and snow driving. I will post results. Get out there and check your vehicles!

#24 ·
I brought my Hemi in to have the exhaust leak sound looked at and they had found that the flange from the down pipe connecting to the "cat back" was overtighten at the plant that caused the exhaust leak. They ended up ordering and installing a new down pipe. All is well now. I just have the burn off smell from the stickers.

#26 ·
kidatforty said:
update: chrysler corp responded same day and gave me a ref # and instructed me to call and talk to a rep. with details mon thru fri. I'm happy with such a quick response. We'll see what happens this week.
That is surprisingly quick. Keep us posted, please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.