Jeep Commander Forum banner

Replacing 3rd row seat with a Storage Box

114K views 156 replies 53 participants last post by  kehubbard 
#1 · (Edited)
I am starting a new thread to give all of the details for building a locking aluminum storage box to replace the third row seat.

I got a PM from 4.7 and hopefully I think he may build these for us.

Removing the third row seat is fairly simple and is covered in another thread on this forum. It basically unbolts from the floor. I am not claiming credit for this modification, someone did it last year. What I did do was to have the fellows at our plant do a professional job if executing the design to fit my needs. The first picture is of the area that is available after you remove the third row seat.

this picture shows the bolt hole that will be used to secure the box to the floor to prevent removing it.

See less See more
#120 ·
Wooden cargo box in place of 3rd row seats

I wanted to build this for my 2010 Commander. Aluminum sheets were too costly and carbon fiber would have been almost $600 to have built. I decided to make a locking storage box out of wood. It cost me about $80 and was simple to do. I used 1"x6" for sides and thin Oak plywood for top and bottom. I used a piano hinge and even put a lock on it. Covered in auto carpet. I used existing 3rd row seat bolt to hold it in place.

Attachments

#121 ·
You did a good job.

Short story about the storage box.

When Jon went to recover my stolen Jeep the dealer that had it told Jon that there was supposed to be a winch, but he never saw it. Jon did not say anything. When he got back in Maricopa County he looked in the storage box. The winch on it's cradle was still there. The Jeep dealer did not realize that there was a locked storage box under the carpet.

#122 ·
2nd Jeep, Best box I've seen yet! Please, post drawings with measurements. Cheers.

#123 ·
Glad you like it! I used the dimensions that Huey Pilot had listed only I made the height match the jack storage box height. I think it was 6 inches total. Unfortunatly I threw away my plans after the project was completed. The floor slants up a bit towards the 2nd row seats so there is a 1 inch height difference when the 2nd row is folded down. No big deal. I was going to put a 1 inch strip of wood on the bottom of that end to make it flush but decided against it. I used Gorilla glue and screws to connect the sides, and supports. I used Gorilla glue and small brads from my staple gun to attach the bottom and top plywood. Used 3M adhesive spray to attach the carpet. The piano hinge and lift hardware are available at Lowe's. I wanted to use small lift shocks (like on the Commanded rear window) to support the lid but I could not find any. I am real happy with it. I showed it to the salesman at the dealer and he thought it was a great job! You can't even tell it's there. Of course I have a Weather Tech cargo mat over it too. I keep bungee cords, ratchet straps, tools, fire extinguisher etc. in it. Be careful taking the 3rd row seats out, they are heavy and cumbersome.

#124 ·
I am in the process of making one of these now, I will post up some photos as soon as I get it finished. I too decided to go with the 6" tall box so that it is the same height as the jack storage box, but making the taller version would be an option with just a little more cost into material. I also thought about removing the jack tray but the A/C vent was more trouble to rework then to just leave the tray in place.

#125 ·
Any updates on the storage box?

#126 ·
I'm reposting photos that got tossed when village.com went down. I lost about EIGHT HUNDRED photos when it died. :( Choose your photo hosting sites carefully!

Removing the 3rd row seat:

The seat's gone!

Building a framework with 1x8 pine planks.

Installed.

Carpet etc. on the lid.

Stuff in it.

These are older photos. Since, there's trim on the edge, it's much more refined looking. There's an added rail to hold a storage box that on top.

#129 ·
Good job .. very good setup

Question why you have big jack ? ..

#130 ·
I have a new design under construction, all metal, level with the center row when folded and covers the A/C chamber at the rear of the vehicle. The unit will even have a lock.

#131 ·
Adondo said:
I'm reposting photos that got tossed when village.com went down. I lost about EIGHT HUNDRED photos when it died. :( Choose your photo hosting sites carefully!
That is why you should also store them on your hard drive.

#133 ·
You're kidding, right?

Of course, I have the 18 MP originals from the Canon on the hard drive. It's not even deleted photos that's the annoyance, it's the gazillion URL refs that get trashed along with them. All any hosting site has to do is change ONE character in the URL string to make a dead photo link. It's not easy to go back and figure out what photo was even there in the 1st place when the hosting site links crap out.

#134 ·
Just finished one but it will not fit as I made it too long and I have rear A/C. Anyone with out rear A?C interested?

#135 ·
Good job Jon

#137 ·
You know it! :roller:

#139 ·
Nice box! I decided to put my jack accessory box back in and I am in the process of mounting an ammo can to the floor until I decide upon a box design that also allows the OEM jack mount pieces to stay intact. That will mean a smaller box overall, but I think I am good with that.

I'll post pics of the ammo box mounted once it is completed.

Any ideas on where I can get matching khaki (speaker box type) carpet to skin my box with? I currently have a few pieces of charcoal/fleck carpet but it stands out and I would rather have something that matches.

#141 ·
#142 ·
Jon,

You are more than welcome to use any photos you need. I hope you sell a bunch of them. That box saved my winch by hiding it from prying eyes when the Jeep was taken.

#144 ·
Hey,

So mine is not near as cool as HueyPilot's but I decided to take out my third row seats and make a little storage box that provides more use then the seats being there. I made it from wood, carpet and parts I had around the house and I ended up spending a total of $20 on some glue and 1 piece of plywood for the top because I didn't have a piece big enough.

Attachments

#145 ·
Looks good to me. Practical, plenty of room and it is level in the transition for using the are for sleeping.

Good Job

#146 ·
Looks good Matygrom714. I'm more handy with wood than metal so this is something I've been considering too. Thanks for sharing.