Jeep Commander Forum banner

what do you guys think of my custom startech Touch, please rate it

25K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 ·
so as most of you know getting startech parts for ur xk is tuff....so i decided to add a startech touch...with the stock bumper.and the black paint job

here is a pic witout the polised inserts

with inserts

i havent had time to put back the emblems on the front hood...

i think it looks better without the inserts,,what do you guys think? ....thanks...

what do you guys think of ghost flames on a commander? that might be my next mod...

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I don't think it looks anything like the Startech Commander.

#6 ·
He asked for opinions. I gave mine.

#5 ·
I like the inverse color scheme. You need the foglights though.

Show a pic of the sides and back end. Also need the molding below the front bumper.

You also need to invert the wheel color.

Good start on it!!

#8 · (Edited)
I think it has potential, and the quality paint job lends a nice touch! I think it looks better with the inserts to break up the black, but think it could look best with an OEM chrome or E&G grille. Definitely need to add fog lights, but lose the license plate cover. I have a hard time with blacked out lights on vehicles any color but black, but that's just me. The painted letters look really nice; I think "Jeep" is too short a name for our wide hood, but "Commander" spaced out as wide as the grille could look really neat (admittedly Range Roverish, but if you're already copying brand images...) I really like the concept of ghost graphics, but don't think the Commander is a good fit for flames. Maybe alien/Transformers type lettering or classic BOSS 429 stuff, though. Anyways, I like the prospects and originality. You've really got me thinking about hood text now, though...

PS: what's hiding under the cover to your left (my right)?

Attachments

#9 ·
He asked for opinions. I gave mine.
everyone else on here is offering constructive criticism. Opinions with the intent to help improve and guide a members mods. Your comments where more malicious in MY OPINION.

gover805, definitely need fog lamps. I am 50/50 on the inserts. I like the direction you are going in.

#10 ·
I like the inserts. That Startech Commander is sweet!

#11 ·
There is a thread here that explains how to take the headlights apart (remove the clear housing). I think you have to put them in the oven to loosen the glue. Where I am going with this is: have you seen a 2010 Liberty Renegade? The chrome area around the headlamps, behind the clear cover, is blackened! This would look really good on your Jeep, the way you have the grill painted. Ebay has Halo Lamps, circular lights that go around the high and low lights. The black background with Halo Lamps would really compliment what you have done!:eek:rangehat:

#12 ·
You may be getting a lot more than you were looking for when you asked our opinion.

Kansas commented on painted letters (JEEP) So I am wondering, if your painted the letters black, same color
as the grill...which it looks to be black, against the Silver hood.

What are "ghost flames"?

#13 ·
With the inserts.

That Startech Commander is gorgeous.

#14 ·
My opinion - good attempt but dont like the shiny black. Might want to extend the color along the bonnet lines. Personally, I don't care for the Startech - tries too hard to be a Land Rover IMHO which it is not and should not sink to be one - plus its too reliable to be a Land Rover. Commander is much better and should have its own unique styling. Having said that, I think you did a nice job making your XK your own. Fog lights would help the overall look. Maybe some wheel treatment to go along with the 2 color scheme you have? Maybe color code the rear view mirrors? Just my opinion cuz you asked.

#15 ·
Thanks for all your inputs guys....yea i know i really need fog lights, you guys are going to find it hard to believe but the black touch up( besides the grills inserts which i got on eBay) was less then a pair of fog lights... it only cost me 50.00 i spent the whole day browsing for a decent affordable shop,till i found it....a one man operation..(he was saying his friend can fabricate a custom carbon fiber bumper for a decent price so ill have to check up on his friend)but thats another story...anyways thanks Kansas for giving me a visual on that lettering..

.. hiding under the cover is my 65 coupe. this is what i really drop my pennies on.

heres a pic of the side, i haven't put my wheels back on cus I'm debating on getting some lowering springs.

i plan on getting hide away license plate but where i live the police will get you for not having ur license plate on ur bumper. so i figured if i put the tinted cover on in the mean time, the cops will say at least he dident take them off.

they got me before for smoked tailights,

#16 ·
Gover, since you asked, here are 2 lighting option you may want to look at.

1) You can get OEM fog lights from here very reasonable:
Factory Fogs
You can get a kit with the lights, wires for the Dakota PU which is the same
as used in the commander. You dont have to run the wiring, you can use the harness
that is already on the XK and add the stalk.

2) Euro Corner Lights. This has been a lot of interest in this over the years:
EURO SIGNAL CORNER LIGHTS

#17 ·
I like the look! the front license plate could go away for sure but maybe you could go with a "euro style" tag in front like the startech has something like "Commander" or "Jeep" on it and try to relocate the license plate to a different location like under the bumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.