Jeep Commander Forum banner

Full drivetrain lube

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bigpav7 
#1 ·
First of all I wanted to say hi and its my 1st post. I picked up 07 3.7 v6 commander 4x4 and with 80k on the clock I really want to change up all the fluids on it. First I want to focus on drivetrain such as transmission, transfer case, and rear differential. I have read my owners manual and this is what I have so far:

1. transmission is only serviceable by dealer since it has no dip stick... :shocked:

2. transfer case takes Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid

3. rear differential takes Mopar Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140 (API-GL5) or equivalent with friction modifier additive.

Once again this is for 07 commander (3.7, v6, 4x4)

Would that complete my fluid purchase list? Can I go with Mobil synthetics instead? Is friction modifier purchased separately? I have also heard that Mopar ATF+4 is a lifetime fluid... I have hard time believing this.

Thanks in advance for your input

See less See more
#2 ·
also do the coolant. Mobil synthetic is a great gear oil. it already has the modifier in it. I thought only Quadra-Drive II had LSDs, so not sure if you need the modifier. If you do, only add extra if you hear chatter from the gears. ATF +4 is a synthetic fluid, dont believe its lifetime though. Change it at the recommended interval.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.