Jeep Commander Forum banner

Basic Citizen Band (cb) Radio Discussion

99K views 204 replies 51 participants last post by  taz_acadian@hotmail.com 
#1 ·
CB anyone?

Has anyone installed or plan on installing a CB in his or her Commander? I plan on doing this before driving up North for Christmas.

#5 ·
Re: CB installation

Unless CB's have changed over the years you can simply tie into any switched power source such as you aux power outlet and a ground wire to the frame. Magnetic antennas are real common but you have to deal with the cord issue and how you are going to get it into the vehicle. There is nothing special to the installation of a CB.

#6 ·

The most important thing as far as power goes is a clean power and ground for the CB unit. I run a Painless Cirkit Boss auxillary fuse block to power the CB in my XJ. For antenna's look at Firestik's NGP (No Ground Plane) antenna kits. Also be sure to test your SWR before using the unit.

What are you looking to run a CB for? Planning to go off-roading? You won't find much CB traffic these days except on long haul trucking routes like I-40, I-81 etc. I run mine in my XJ for off-roading as some folks still run them instead of FMRS/GMRS radios. The FMRS/GMRS radios that are out now have real good range... up to 14 miles.

#8 ·

EasternSierraMarc said:
Yep, for off-roading. Sounds like you'd recommend an FRMS radio instead?
Depends on what the folks you are off-roading use. If they are using a CB then get one, but if they have nothing pick up a set of FMRS/GMRS radios.

I have a Rino 530 GPS & FMRS/GMRS radio combo unit. I also have a cheapo Cobra FRMS/GRMS radio I let people I off road with borrow. It doesn't have as long a range as the 530.

#9 ·
CB Radio Location

Where do you have your CB Radio installed? What type of antenna do you have and where do you have it installed?

#14 ·
Uber, that's actually what I was really looking for in terms of a CB mount. Do you have a CB antenna mounted that way? I had a Teraflex mount that was mounted via the bolts of a rear brake light on my old LJ.

Any ideas on mounting the radio inside the XK? I'm thinking about cutting out the little cubby at the bottom of the center stack and placing it in there, then running an external speaker somewhere.

#15 ·
#16 ·
CrzCajun said:
You could just get you an All-in-Handset Mobile CB. This will give you more options for mounting. I have a friend that has one and loves it because it takes less space. Here's an example of one.
I have that one in the Cherokee... quality is a bit iffy. Mine stops putting out audio whenever it is more than 80F inside the vehicle. The rest of the functionality works, but kind of worthless if you can't hear what they are saying. :p The concept is great, just which they had made it a better quality.

#18 ·
Right now I have a RadioShack CB that works fine. I don't have it mounted and it slides around on the dash, hence why I asked. After my last trip up the mountain, I've decided I'm done with the magnet mounts, it fell off about a dozen times. If we weren't concerned about getting the Commander in our garage, and we were ready for a luggage rack, I would probably attach the antenna to the luggage rack.

#23 ·
#25 ·
#26 ·
Can't go wrong with Cobra!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.