Possible solution for intermittent starting problems! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Points: 64,924, Level: 100 Points: 64,924, Level: 100 Points: 64,924, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Possible solution for intermittent starting problems!

Edit: ... turns out this was just coincidence ... see my post at the end

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started a new thread on this to see if anyone else can duplicate my solution to the intermittent starting problem.

I'm off warranty so there's no running to the dealer every time it won't start.

My problem has been the same as others except I've always manged to get it started every time by boosting or just trying the key 25 times.

OK I am NOT kidding ... if I leave the dash FAN switch ON overnight or even for an hour or two the Jeep will NOT start when we get back ...

If I shut the FAN dash switch OFF while the Jeep is running and then shut off the Jeep it WILL start when we get back.

It's not verbatim of course .. but I've been testing it for a month now and it's well over 80% (close to 90%)

For the last week (probably 30 or 40 starts) we have not had ANY starting problems and we have shut off the fan every time before we shut off the Jeep.

My theory as to possibly WHY at this works is simple .. the starting problem for what ever reason seems to be voltage sensitive.

Once the battery drops below a certain voltage the Jeep won't start easily ... The fan switch controls the fan of course, but also a HOST of air gates, valves and switches (listen sometime when you turn it on and off) ... when it's left on the system is sucking down the battery.

Am I correct??? I do not know for sure ... but that's my opinion ... try it and report back

Last edited by Yeggster; 02-12-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: add more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

I have noticed if I sit in the Jeep for a few minutes after shutting it off, that there will be some little motors or something run. I have assumed the sound was coming from changing the vent/heat openings.

But so far for me, the only time it didn't start was when I left the key in the ON position without it running for a couple of hours. My recollection is that I went to get something out of the Jeep and put the key in the ON position to move the seat back and then forgot to take the key out.
2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Do you take your keys out at night? This exact thing has happened to me twice, but both times I left the key in, but did not relalize that I turned the key only to ACC on not off. If the key is at ACC, you can't pull it out. Jeep was in the garage, parked overnight. The first time it happened, I had it towed in under warranty. The second time I just jump started - only took 5 minutes to start. Now I just take the keys out every night. I never turn the fan completely off - it's always on the slowest speed.
MODIFICATIONS: P255/65R17 Wrangler SA, Chrome Tow Hooks, 4.7L Badge, Black Grill w/Mopar Grill Guard, All LTD Chrome, LTD Exterior App Pkg, Mopar Molded Mud & Taillamp Guards, Woodview English Burlwood Molded Dash, Dk Slate Gray Leather Console Lid and E-brake Handle, Kicker/Infinity, NAVUS, Bilstein Shocks, aFe cai, Nokya HyperYellow Fogs, Rear Fogs
Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM

Not sure who your question was directed to, me or Yeggster. But I take my key out at night. I just left in that one time for a couple of hours in the ON position.
2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Points: 64,924, Level: 100 Points: 64,924, Level: 100 Points: 64,924, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
Do you take your keys out at night?

Defiantly! I live down town in a area where you just can't leave your keys in the car
Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM

So far I have had only ONE incident of non starting since keeping up with the FAN-OFF drill ... and that time I shut the fan of AFTER I shut the Jeep off.

Possible fly in the ointment is winter set in just after I cam up with this theory ...

... I'm re-reading other threads and the 'corroded-connector-theory' seems more plausible then mine .. it's possible the winter weather here is thowing enough snow up on my 'connector area' to keep it "washed clean" enough, that, THAT is the solution?

Don't know .. but will see how it goes and keep everyone posted.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:43 AM

I feel now the OP solution I posted was just a coincidence .. maybe the voltage sensitive angle made a little difference but it's defiantly no real solution ... the Commander got bad enough it would not start for 10 or 15 minutes of trying and we were even avoiding using it.

What I ended up doing was reading all the old posts and found this one

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11029

and this one

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5647

On page 4 with pictures

It's so darn cold here I didn't want to mess with any wires while I could still start the Jeep ... but now I had no choice ..

So I studied the threads and reach down as far as I could on the wire bundle (it's right near the oil dipstick) and PUSHED on it just with medium to light force while my wife tried the key and sure enough it started RIGHT up EVERY TIME.

She took the Jeep to work today but this weekend I am going to have a better look at it and see if I can isolate that exact wire and fix it permenantly .. and will report back
Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Good find Yeggster. These intermittent problems drive people crazy.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 PM

I have not had time to take apart the wiring and fix it properly ... so I was experimenting on how much the wiring harness needed to be pushed over to get it to start and it was not very much.

One morning this week I was leaving early and the Commander would NOT start on it's own ... I got the idea to put something against the wire temporarily so i could start is and found a tuna can in the recycle box.

Well days later it's still there and the Commander starts EVERY time now .. I still will fix it permanently as I don't imagine the tuna can is good up against the steel pipe for any long period of time... but so far so good

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01481.JPG
Views:	11297
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	3182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01482.JPG
Views:	9981
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	3183  
Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 PM

We're going to have to start calling you "Tuna".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service