Vibration and Noise while accelerating + Front Propeller shaft leaking - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Points: 21,254, Level: 91 Points: 21,254, Level: 91 Points: 21,254, Level: 91
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Vibration and Noise while accelerating + Front Propeller shaft leaking

I went on off-road trip two days back and when I was driving back home I noticed a very strong noise and vibration while accelerating and goes out when I take off my foot of the gas. I left it to sleep over for one night and same thing happened next day.

I took it to the dealer this morning and they found that the front Axel isolator is damaged and it could be the reason.

While inspecting the underneath they noticed that the front Propeller shaft leaking some oil from the rear mount! ,, the mount doesn't come alone so I have to replace the whole shaft to fix it ,, around $245 for the front Propeller shaft !!

So I left there to replace the diff isolators and propeller shaft, will update you with the result once I get it.

The isolator was replaced November last year due to little vibration while accelerating ,, !!! isn't it too soon to fail again !!!!!

Also I think its soon for the shaft to leak the oil as well. !!! what could have gone wrong to cause this ?

Also see the pics below ,,,, do you think I can live with such leaking shaft !!

Pics ...

The damaged diff isolator:

The leaking shaft :

OME 2" Lift kit, Mastercraft Courser A/T 265/65/17 tires, Air-Lift rear bags

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 04:18 PM

update ...

I went today to pickup the Commander. they replaced the Diff isolator and Diff bracket ,,,, but unfortunately that didn't fix the problem ! as what seem to be a side problem (the propeller shaft leaking) now became the reason of vibration as they told me the lubricant is gone and the CV joint is damaged.

and unfortunately they don't have the shaft in stock ,, so I have to wait till they order it. but I took the Commander and driving it.

Do you think this makes sense? ,,,

I'm still wondering why it got damaged so soon !! all the rubber underneath are in great condition

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

Last edited by Ahmed; 12-20-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

All it takes is a pinhole to allow the lubricant to be lost from the driveshaft c/v.
Especially in the high heat conditions you are in.....the grease is likely the consistency of water and will escape just as easily.

Rob
Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM

Update: Dealer got the new shaft today and replaced it ,,, problem gone and the Commander is back to normal.

a close pic for the damaged shaft ,, now it looks much worse than what I thought !!

Question, Is there any thing I can do to protect the new shaft to get such damage?

First Jeep Commander,

Old 12-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

If your camera and my eyes are any good....looks like the rubber seal has dry rotted.
I think I'm seeing cracks in the seal that aren't torn open yet.
Or.......the shaft was poorly handled and rubber stressed during last mount replacement.
Now you see the results....time related and PURELY SPECULATION on my part.
I have found a good dose of spray silicone seems to keep these type of seals nice and pliable and seems to inhibit ageing.
Same stuff, or silicone grease (even die-electric) works well on every seal you can see.
Maybe an annual dousing may be benificial, especially in your extremely dry heat.

About the only thoughts that come to mind,
Rob
Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
If your camera and my eyes are any good....looks like the rubber seal has dry rotted.
I think I'm seeing cracks in the seal that aren't torn open yet.
Or.......the shaft was poorly handled and rubber stressed during last mount replacement.
Now you see the results....time related and PURELY SPECULATION on my part.
I have found a good dose of spray silicone seems to keep these type of seals nice and pliable and seems to inhibit ageing.
Same stuff, or silicone grease (even die-electric) works well on every seal you can see.
Maybe an annual dousing may be benificial, especially in your extremely dry heat.

About the only thoughts that come to mind,
Rob
Thanks Robby,, I should keep all the rubber greased or sprayed with oil in such warm and dry whether

First Jeep Commander,

Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

I'm having the same problem -- vibration between 2000-2500 RPMs. I'm posting all my comments on a similar thread at:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15018
2008 Black Jeep Commander, Overland Edition, 4WD Quadra-Drive II, 5.7l V8 HEMI, DVD, NAV, MyGig, Rearview Camera, Tow Hitch, Two-tone light/dark grey leather, Pictures here: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...hp?albumid=486
Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Points: 8,207, Level: 61 Points: 8,207, Level: 61 Points: 8,207, Level: 61
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

UV light and Ozone eats rubber away and dry rots it, something you have plenty of in the hot desert.

I've always used Armour all on the rubber boots, once or twice a hear, its protects against the Ozone and UV, as well as moistures and lubricates the rubber.

If they don't sell Armour All in your part of the world, look for the spray protectant, that makes your tires look black and shiney, the stuff that says its a silicon product to protect rubber and vinyl from heat, UV light and ozone.

AFA, bushings/isolators wearing out to soon, rough conditions, like driving off-road will tear or damage them. A trick that I, and many others, have done with sporty FWD (lateral transaxle) vehicles, since hard driving often does the same thing to their motor/trans/transaxle mounts; we fill the voids in the bushings/isolator with windshield urethane, the stuff used to seal new windshields when they are replaced. Its a very durable rubber/urethane. Filling those voids with a suitable material will toughen up the bushing/isolator and actual improve performance because they will deflect less while being used under stressful situations.

Of course it has drawbacks, since you've firmed up and toughened up the bushing/isolator signficantly, it will transfer more noise/vibration/harshness (NVH) through the vehicle and damp it less. Most of the time its only a minor difference, but if you want that just off the dealer lot manners and smoothness, this is NOT for you.

Last edited by Mongo; 01-24-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Points: 28,168, Level: 98 Points: 28,168, Level: 98 Points: 28,168, Level: 98
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
IS that metal shavings in there? Could the propellor shaft be bent?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Points: 2,774, Level: 32 Points: 2,774, Level: 32 Points: 2,774, Level: 32
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

can you post a pick of the new shaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service