Clogged A/C drain - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Clogged A/C drain

Anyone know where the A/C discharge tube comes out on a 2007 Commander?? Mine is clogged and I was hoping to thread a thin wire up it to unclog the tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

thats not gonna happen, just went through round TWO of my problem, the tube exits out the front of the firewall, dead center at the top of the transmission housing, almost over the bell housing. Nothing short of removing the engine will let you get to it from outside. Better yet, the tube passes through the firewall, and you CAN NOT see it because of teh sound/heat insulation. THe water runs down this aluminum covered stuff and drips on the ground right under the passenger seat area.

I just had to have my dealer remove the entire lower dash/console heat exchange box to unclog mine...... a quarter had somehow fallen in the heat ducts, worked its way down the the drain, and blocked it off. So I have a $1000 quarter, I'm going to have it mounted as soon as I can afford it

The normal leaves/debris built up over 3-4 years and formed a perfect seal, and the torrential downpours the last few weeks totally

Fought with dealer and Chrysler over covering this, BAD design to not have any exterior access to the drain. If I had, I could have at least popped the quarter out of the way and solved the problem..... Dealer did an OK job with this, but I was mad and being a bit of a jerk at first.....

Good luck, and make sure your problem is not a leak.
1976 Porsche 912 E
(being resurrected)
2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1978 Yamaha XS750
[/B]
Old 06-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Points: 2,677, Level: 31 Points: 2,677, Level: 31 Points: 2,677, Level: 31
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

Had the exact same problem with mine. Water started leaking out from the fan area and somehow a quarter had gotten into the drain. What I did was pull the carpet back and everything out of the way. On the right side of the evaporator box where the drain goes down I bored a 1" hole through. I then discovered the quarter and then pushed a camelbak tube cleaning brush through the drain. Worked well for about 6 months and I just recleaned it and covered the hole with duct tape and put the carpet back.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Points: 1,616, Level: 23 Points: 1,616, Level: 23 Points: 1,616, Level: 23
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboyjs View Post
What I did was pull the carpet back and everything out of the way. On the right side of the evaporator box where the drain goes down I bored a 1" hole through.
Where is the "Evaporator box" and what does it look like?

I have the same problem...I need a DIY solution!!

MyLifeOutdoors: Blogging outdoor adventures in Texas and surrounding states.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Points: 1,616, Level: 23 Points: 1,616, Level: 23 Points: 1,616, Level: 23
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Clogged A/C Drain Tube fixed

Well after tearing out half the dash...and then realizing I didnt need too. I have fixed (I hope) the clogged drain tube. For any of you who might have the same problem...here is what I did.

As Bulldog and Jonboys points out there is no way to get to the tube under the car. But from the inside passenger side remove the glove box and black plastic from under the dash. you can then see where the tube exits the firewall almost directly above the transmission.

The black plastic right next the the arrow is the heater core tubes. The plastic is to protect your legs from the heat (I assume). Right behind the heater core tubes is where the drain exits the firewall. It is a black box about 3x2 inches sticking down from the evaporator box.

I took Jonboys lead and drilled a hole where the drain goes down. I drilled a much smaller hole...about 1/4 inch. water started shooting out immediately and didn't stop for more then a min.

After the water stopped a shoved a coat hanger down inside the hole until water started pooling up under the jeep. I ran the A/C for about an hour with no water coming out of the hole I drilled but plenty pooling up under the car. Satisfied I plugged the hole with some silicon and am hoping for the best.

MyLifeOutdoors: Blogging outdoor adventures in Texas and surrounding states.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstop28 View Post
Well after tearing out half the dash...and then realizing I didnt need too. I have fixed (I hope) the clogged drain tube. For any of you who might have the same problem...here is what I did.

As Bulldog and Jonboys points out there is no way to get to the tube under the car. But from the inside passenger side remove the glove box and black plastic from under the dash. you can then see where the tube exits the firewall almost directly above the transmission.

The black plastic right next the the arrow is the heater core tubes. The plastic is to protect your legs from the heat (I assume). Right behind the heater core tubes is where the drain exits the firewall. It is a black box about 3x2 inches sticking down from the evaporator box.

I took Jonboys lead and drilled a hole where the drain goes down. I drilled a much smaller hole...about 1/4 inch. water started shooting out immediately and didn't stop for more then a min.

After the water stopped a shoved a coat hanger down inside the hole until water started pooling up under the jeep. I ran the A/C for about an hour with no water coming out of the hole I drilled but plenty pooling up under the car. Satisfied I plugged the hole with some silicon and am hoping for the best.

CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do NOT do this unless you are a betting man/woman. I followed this step by step and now not only do i have a plugged drain, but I also have NO A/C! My drill hit the evaporator and all the refrigerant has leaked out. So, i guess this cheap fix is now going to be not so F@##$^ cheap.

Just saying.

I'm not bashing this poster, I'm just cautioning anyone else that might attempt to do this.
2006 Inferno Red Commander------RR 2.25" lift, Smoked corner lights, "Limited" Color-coded rear Grab Handles, Mopar hitch, Matrix w/hoop, "Jeep" driving lights, Rear Bumper lights, Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14et wheels, Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17
Future mods---- skids, Rage roof cargo basket, PIAA 525 auxiliary lights,
Buy My Wheels <---- Click Here

My Garage

..,====,_o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___
Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Points: 299, Level: 5 Points: 299, Level: 5 Points: 299, Level: 5
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

are the pictures gone? i am having the same problem as of right now. please post up the pic again please
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

You can find "how to" videos on youtube. I would be careful drilling the hole.

If you follow the how-to, you can use a nail to locate where the tube is. It seemed to work for me, though I'm not sure that was the source of my leak.

I'm too lazy to post a link, but it was easy to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion