Jeep Commander Forum banner

LuvMyCommander's Garage

25K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  LuvMyCommander 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a quick peek into my garage.

This is my stock 2008 XK, love this Jeep:

Added the OEM tow hitch and 7 pin wiring:

(pic lost)

Installed OEM fog lights and stalk:

(pic lost)

My XK baring it all in order to install the stud plates to hold the 4xGuard Matrix, my XK did not have tow hooks:

Finally mounted my 4xGuard Matrix with black bow shackles (you can't really see them in this pic though):

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
XK and Liberty side by side. The Liberty is my sister's:

#3 · (Edited)
Attempting to install RC 2" lift kit... FAIL! Tried all sorts of hammers including one that is not picture and still the lower strut bolt didn't budge:

Commander after 2" lift install. There's a Commander at work that always parks close to mine, maybe after he sees the difference he won't park as close anymore lol:

#4 · (Edited)
My XK (pre-lift) towing a 6x12 trailer with about a total of 2,500 pounds of weight. Pulled that sucker without a problem; V6, mind you.

#5 ·
Looks good, I see a ton of Commanders throughout the city/state, but never another lifted. Yesterday coming back from my place downstate, i passed one up in a small town my father grew up in, looked goog also, lifted, brush guard on the front.

#6 ·
Looks good, I see a ton of Commanders throughout the city/state, but never another lifted. Yesterday coming back from my place downstate, i passed one up in a small town my father grew up in, looked goog also, lifted, brush guard on the front.
Thanks 8ball. I see quite a few around here too and I've only seen one that was lifted around the Joliet/Bolingbrook area, it was one the same color as yours, was it you? lol It looked like an asian guy driving it. All the other XKs I've seen are not mod-ed with the exception of 1, he dropped it and added bigger wheels with smaller tires, not really my cup of tea.

#7 ·
Looks really good lifted! Great pics, thanks for sharing! Have your sister take her Liberty out to Attica lol

#9 ·
Thanks Pete. I did mention it to her but she didn't seem to show any interest in it lol.

#8 ·
Nope wasn't me, although when I've had a few pops in my my eyes get kinda squinty.

#10 ·
Very Sharp looking Commander, Oscar.
I have not seen too many white ones that I have liked, but yours is turning out great.
Keep it up, bro.
PS: Where did you get the fogs w/stalk from?

#11 ·
I've always liked the way white looked on trucks and SUVs so when I was looking for a Commander I knew that's what i wanted to go with, white with a black interior. The first thing my friends and family said when they saw my Jeep was "why white?" lol My response was always, why not? Thanks for the comment.

I got the fog lights and stalk from www.leeparts.com , they come together in a kit. They are very easy to install but the only thing is that you'll have to take your XK to the dealer to have them enable the fog lights with a Starscan tool.

#12 ·
love that 4xGuard Matrix Guard

dude thats an awesome lo0king ride. now i see that you have those d-rings on your 4xGuard Matrix Guard are they as strong as the factory front tow hooks?oh oh and was it difficult to install

#13 ·
dude thats an awesome lo0king ride. now i see that you have those d-rings on your 4xGuard Matrix Guard are they as strong as the factory front tow hooks?oh oh and was it difficult to install
Thanks! They are very strong, just as strong as the factory tow hooks if not stronger. The install was pretty easy.

#14 · (Edited)
I completed the Matrix system with the grill hoop kit and added PIAA 510 ATP aux lights.

#15 ·
I like what you have done ! Looks Good.....

#17 ·
Hi,
Sorry to drag up an old post. New to the forum. I've a 2007 3.7L Commander that I've been thinking about converting to towing capabilities. I like the OEM tow hitch and 7-pin wiring conversion you did. Did you need to improve on the transmission cooling system over stock for towing? Thanks for your help.
Darrell

#18 ·
Hi,
Sorry to drag up an old post. New to the forum. I've a 2007 3.7L Commander that I've been thinking about converting to towing capabilities. I like the OEM tow hitch and 7-pin wiring conversion you did. Did you need to improve on the transmission cooling system over stock for towing? Thanks for your help.
Darrell
Hey there, sorry for the late reply- no I didn't do any further modifications for towing since I wasn't planning on towing anything greater than 3.5k pounds. I do like having the option of the 7 pin wiring, especially since it includes constant power, good for future projects (eg. camping trailer).

#19 ·
Just to update my garage- I recently added new Bilstein HD struts in front, changed to lower ball joints, and replaced the upper control arms with JeepinbyAl's UCAs. The ride is so much better and accurate and now the alignment is back to within factory specs. Turning and handling has improved as well so overall I'm very happy with the new suspension.

Attachments

#20 ·
Very cool! This guy right here is having Jeep Envy

#21 ·
Very cool! This guy right here is having Jeep Envy
Lol, I had to since my struts were starting to leak and my ball joints were loose. Doing it right this time around.

Btw- did you end up going to the Badlands that weekend? If so, how was it?

#23 ·
That looks sweet. I just got the JBA UCA's in yesterday. Waiting on the OME HD springs and shocks to replace the Daystar 2 in lift in the front. I am hoping to get back the inch and a half I lost when I put the steel bumper on the front!
Ouch, I could imagine the stock suspension would not hold up for long with a steel bumper but sounds like you have a good plan. Do you have any pics of your bumper?

#25 · (Edited)
This was when I said goodbye to my old XK and traded her in for something more fuel efficient. Got rid of her on September of 2012. Such a sad day.

#26 · (Edited)
Here's a showroom pic of the latest one I picked up on June 2014. Mods will come slower this time around as now I have more expenses- child's tuition, bills, family, etc. You know, the typical grownup expenses haha. I sure did miss driving a Commander.

So far I've added the rear grab handles, roof rack cross rails, LED rear license plate bulbs, new climate controls, new StrongArm liftgate struts, new sunroof seal, trimmed the nipples on the sunroof drain tubes, new blower motor control module, new battery, replaced spare tire winch, new spare tire, changed spark plugs, new PCV valve, changed ALL oils, new wipers, and that's all I can think of right now. Not off to a great start but slowly getting her up to the condition I would like for her to be.

#27 ·
I fixed the pictures that were missing from my old posts in my garage.

#28 ·
I can't see any of your pics except the one in post #19.

#29 ·
I realized I couldn't see them from my work computer while on VPN, only my home computer. I still see them now. I uploaded them to the server but rather than attaching them I linked them. Is that how you usually do it?

#32 ·
Thanks for the tips. I was using the alternate method described in the Tom's post but linking to the URL where my pictures were uploaded to but I guess that doesn't work well. I'll have to create a photobucket account for this then. I had them linked to a Facebook album in the past but I deleted it, which is why those pics didn't show up for a long time. I'll work on this later.

#33 ·
Ok, I think I finally got the pictures working. Can you guys see them now? Thanks again for the tips.

#35 ·
Yes, can see them now. Thanks.

#39 ·
Thanks! I'm glad to be back.

Funny how that works for your second XK. Maybe since on the first one we were all excited about how it would look with this and that and we really didn't care about dropping money on it. Now I think my priorities are where they should be haha. Oh well, we'll get them there eventually.

#40 ·
Look forward to seeing it develop.

Having had the 4xGuard Matrix on your prior rig, would you recommend it?

If I recall I did see you had some rust issues, but I also understand they changed the coating process.

At any rate it seems the only unit available that provides both extraction points and light mounting points that I've seen. (Maybe I'm wrong)

#41 ·
Without a doubt this is a must have for my second XK. Not only does it provide solid extraction points and light mount options but it also can be used to jack the front end. Is is built like a tank; solid as can be. I don't think any of the other brush guards I've seen provide this level of protection.

I remember one time I was out late at a bar and when I left I was warming up the Commander and two cars ahead of me I guess the driver was drunk and he reversed out of his spot pretty fast. He hit the car in front of me, which I guess had a manual transmission and was in neutral, and it rolled hard right into the 4xGuard Matrix. I was so glad it was there as it saved me from a repair to my front bumper and not even a scratch.

I also used it once to push someone out of the road after their car had stalled and again nothing happened to it. I think it's a must have, at least this particular one.

Customer service was awesome and the incident with the rust in a short amount of time proved it.

I'll definitely be getting this before the lift and tires, maybe after the holidays.

#42 ·
Great to hear the positive feedback.

I need to find a spot to mount my Rigid LEDs and I need front extraction anyway, so may go that way too.

Was leaning toward roof rack for my lights, but it seems more trouble than it's worth and although I didn't buy the XK for fuel economy, I don't want to make it worse than it has to be--and roof racks are notorious for killing MPGs.

In terms of rust... not nearly as much rust concern in NW Arkansas so hopefully I'd be in a good position there either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.