Front Diff. Leaking...and engine using oil now. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Points: 4,897, Level: 44 Points: 4,897, Level: 44 Points: 4,897, Level: 44
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Front Diff. Leaking...and engine using oil now.

Just got back from driving 4500 miles to WI. and back. Halfway to WI I popped the hood to check the oil and noticed oil was all over my engine! On top of that, it was 1 qt. low. On the way home, once in NM I felt the Jeep was downshifting harder than normal. Today I changed the engine oil and got to looking around underneath and what do ya know? There's oil stains all over the undercarriage of the Jeep! I traced part of it to the front diff. (hence the hard downshifting due to low fluid) the other part is obviously the engine leaking! I'd swear my Jeep was made either on a Monday or a Friday. it goes in again this week.
2007 Sport 4.7L Bought New in Dec. of 07' w45 miles. Now has 70k+ Miles & 8 pages of Repair orders-255/65/17 Nitto Crosstek's, Flowmaster 50 SUV, A/C Delco Double Platinum copper cores, AMS Oil All the way around, K&N Air Filter, Weather Tech Floor mats, Lifetime Bumper to Bumper Warranty Exp.- 2082
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned
Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Blame the pot smokers!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOPAR85 View Post
Just got back from driving 4500 miles to WI. and back. Halfway to WI I popped the hood to check the oil and noticed oil was all over my engine! On top of that, it was 1 qt. low. On the way home, once in NM I felt the Jeep was downshifting harder than normal. Today I changed the engine oil and got to looking around underneath and what do ya know? There's oil stains all over the undercarriage of the Jeep! I traced part of it to the front diff. (hence the hard downshifting due to low fluid) the other part is obviously the engine leaking! I'd swear my Jeep was made either on a Monday or a Friday. it goes in again this week.
Please explain the correlation between hard downshifting and the front differential leaking. This does not compute! If the oil filler cap is not tight, oil can be blown out (been there, done that) which could explain the oil all over the engine and the undercarriage. You could have leaked out a quart this way. Just driving would cause the leaked oil to travel down the chassis.
MODIFICATIONS: P255/65R17 Wrangler SA, Chrome Tow Hooks, 4.7L Badge, Black Grill w/Mopar Grill Guard, All LTD Chrome, LTD Exterior App Pkg, Mopar Molded Mud & Taillamp Guards, Woodview English Burlwood Molded Dash, Dk Slate Gray Leather Console Lid and E-brake Handle, Kicker/Infinity, NAVUS, Bilstein Shocks, aFe cai, Nokya HyperYellow Fogs, Rear Fogs
Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Yeah I also dont think the hard shifting has anything to do with the front diff being low on gear oil. Thats transmission related.
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Points: 8,207, Level: 61 Points: 8,207, Level: 61 Points: 8,207, Level: 61
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

If the low oil level did damage to the front ring/pinion and/or differential, its possible it created lash or binding in the drivetrain and that could cause hard shifts. Sorry, if low fluid in the axle is causing the problem, it likely means the low fluid caused damage.

Low on Tans fluid could cause hard shifts also, and often bringing it back up to normal level will return the shifts to normal.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Points: 2,900, Level: 32 Points: 2,900, Level: 32 Points: 2,900, Level: 32
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Check the transmission cooling lines running to the radiator. They are known to leak around the metal fitting that the rubber hose runs into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion