Service Park Assist System - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Points: 1,007, Level: 17 Points: 1,007, Level: 17 Points: 1,007, Level: 17
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Service Park Assist System

I've searched the forum and read quite a few threads, but none of them really say, yes, do THIS to fix the problem.

I've had it happen several times, and my soon to be wife doesn't feel comfortable driving the vehicle due to loss of power and not being able to accelerate while on the highway.

We have the 3.7L V6 if that makes any difference...

Anyone have a specific answer for the problem..?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Points: 6,459, Level: 52 Points: 6,459, Level: 52 Points: 6,459, Level: 52
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Re

this has happened to me before with my 07 v6 xk, when it had 36k miles and recently when it had 56k miles now it has 57k......back when it had 36k miles i took it back to the dealership. and they told me that the transmission shift module was defective and they replaced it...the warranty covered it........at 56K miles it started doing the same thing again.the "PRND" lite up and stayed lite and or blinked,then it stalled, weeks later the "service park assist" displayed came on.the only reason i took it back to the dealership was because the service writer told me that it was still under warranty...long story short my warranty had expired...they told me the transmission shift module was acting up? no way in hell was going to pay 900.00 for that repair. i said no to the repair, they said u still gotta pay the diagnostic fee,120.00 bucks....ok fine....later that day the serviceman called and said if you buy the transmission shifter assembly its cheaper for you, out the door for 700.00. i said no...i told them "so if i get the repair done, 1 year down the road the shifter is going to act up again and im going to pay again????"he just shruged his shoulders, later on that day he left me a phone message saying he again got in contact with my warranty plan ppl and told me that because this part had gone bad on you once before. you will just pay a 200.00 co pay compliment of ur GE warranty ppl

so yea before he left me that message i had found a complete shifter assmlby for the xk for 400.00 bucks on ebay at the time.....i was going to change it myself.

but yea its the transmission shifter module and according to the TECH and the serviceman the complete shifter assembly includes the module.

honesty im not surprised if after a year from now it starts acting up again....
i too was pissed off that this was a new car, with low miles, and acting up..and yea it was unsafe...

i googled this and alot of ppl had the same senerio with there jeeps,
i too filed a compliant with NHTSA....but who knows....keep us updated.

Last edited by gover805; 12-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Points: 8,533, Level: 62 Points: 8,533, Level: 62 Points: 8,533, Level: 62
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Whats the problem? You title the thread "Service Park Assist System" but say absolutely nothing about that, and just mention you have a loss of power and not being able to accelerate while on the highway.

Yes, what engine you have could make a BIG difference.

Can you provide a little more detail to the symptoms, whats the actual problem you're talking about?

What is the problem with the Park Assist System?

What Year is your Vehicle?
What Trim Level is your Vehicle?
What Transmission does your Vehicle have?
What Drivetrain System does your Vehicle have?
HOW many miles do you have on the vehicle?

Have your reviewed the maintenance schedule in your Owner's Manual and made sure you have performed the required servicing/maintenance when its called for? If NOT have you at least performed it late and got it all kept up on the maintenance?

[EDIT]
Looks like gover805 was composing his post as I started mine, looks like he know exactly what you're talking about and should probably investigate what he is talking about.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-08-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Points: 1,007, Level: 17 Points: 1,007, Level: 17 Points: 1,007, Level: 17
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Whats the problem? You title the thread "Service Park Assist System" but say absolutely nothing about that, and just mention you have a loss of power and not being able to accelerate while on the highway.

Yes, what engine you have could make a BIG difference.

Can you provide a little more detail to the symptoms, whats the actual problem you're talking about?
The problem has happened year round. We bought the vehicle used. When you start it up, and put it into reverse, It gets boxes around PRND and the information center displays "Service Park Assist System" then you pull it down into drive and attempt to accelerate and there is no power, and the vehicle won't leave first gear or go more then 15mph. You come to a stop, put it in park, shut the car down, and start it back up, pull it into drive and its gone.

It will also happen when you are driving 65mph down the highway, you'll hear the warning chime, it gets boxes around PRND and you can't accelerate at all. The information center says service park assist system and eventually the transmission will clunk and the check engine light comes on, and the vehicle drives fine. You shut the car off and start it back up and the check engine light is off. It happens spiratically, you can't just make it do it. We have sense turned off the parking sensors in an attempt to bypass this happening and it will still do it.

Quote:
What is the problem with the Park Assist System?
Good question. We don't know of any and have sense turned it off.

Quote:
What Year is your Vehicle?
What Trim Level is your Vehicle?
What Transmission does your Vehicle have?
What Drivetrain System does your Vehicle have?
HOW many miles do you have on the vehicle?
2007 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 Sport package. Stock automatic transmission, Stock drivetrain system, and right at 52k.

Quote:
Have your reviewed the maintenance schedule in your Owner's Manual and made sure you have performed the required servicing/maintenance when its called for? If NOT have you at least performed it late and got it all kept up on the maintenance?
Yes, we service it regularly and anything that is needed at the time, we do.

Hopefully that helps. I know other people have had the problem, thats why I didn't elaborate too much on it. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Points: 28,168, Level: 98 Points: 28,168, Level: 98 Points: 28,168, Level: 98
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
This has been addressed several times here on the forum, you might find some
solutions using an advanced search.

Does that cover it? I wanted to get that out of the way before someone else did.

This has been coming along every so often. What commonly works is to pull the
plugs off the sensors, blow them out and push them back in. Wipe off the out
side of the sensor as well. Mine comes loose once a year, usually after a snow.
I puch the plug back in and thts it.

I don't care if you search or not, some members get itchy about that..............
it is just ass easy to respond with a positive reply as opposed to something else...
Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

I'm confused! What does the Transmission Shift Module have to do with the Rear Park Assist?
MODIFICATIONS: P255/65R17 Wrangler SA, Chrome Tow Hooks, 4.7L Badge, Black Grill w/Mopar Grill Guard, All LTD Chrome, LTD Exterior App Pkg, Mopar Molded Mud & Taillamp Guards, Woodview English Burlwood Molded Dash, Dk Slate Gray Leather Console Lid and E-brake Handle, Kicker/Infinity, NAVUS, Bilstein Shocks, aFe cai, Nokya HyperYellow Fogs, Rear Fogs
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Points: 4,795, Level: 44 Points: 4,795, Level: 44 Points: 4,795, Level: 44
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

I'm with DHH3 on this one ????????
Old 12-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Points: 46,971, Level: 100 Points: 46,971, Level: 100 Points: 46,971, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
I'm confused! What does the Transmission Shift Module have to do with the Rear Park Assist?
For some reason that message comes up when the Electonic Shift Module is malfunctioning.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6573&page=5

Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled

Last edited by jeep5253; 12-21-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Someone at Chrysler must be a lot smarter than me.
MODIFICATIONS: P255/65R17 Wrangler SA, Chrome Tow Hooks, 4.7L Badge, Black Grill w/Mopar Grill Guard, All LTD Chrome, LTD Exterior App Pkg, Mopar Molded Mud & Taillamp Guards, Woodview English Burlwood Molded Dash, Dk Slate Gray Leather Console Lid and E-brake Handle, Kicker/Infinity, NAVUS, Bilstein Shocks, aFe cai, Nokya HyperYellow Fogs, Rear Fogs
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Points: 8,533, Level: 62 Points: 8,533, Level: 62 Points: 8,533, Level: 62
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

The rear park assist doesn't turn on until you put the vehicle in reverse, there has to be something tied into the rear park assist to let it know the vehicle has been put into reverse.

Perhaps, when the transmission shift module malfunctions, it sends a signal to the rear park assist that its NOT expecting and makes it think that it is malfunctioning somehow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service