How to replace water pump - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Points: 2,119, Level: 27 Points: 2,119, Level: 27 Points: 2,119, Level: 27
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

How to replace water pump

Help guys -
I have a 2006 Commander 4.7L that needs the water pump replaced. Can anyone give me a step by step? Major problem as it's darn cold outside and i have to do this in the driveway. I really don't want to spend lots of time "figuring it out". At the least, can anyone tell me if the radiators needs to come out or can I get the pump out with minimal dissassembly?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Points: 9,167, Level: 64 Points: 9,167, Level: 64 Points: 9,167, Level: 64
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoymail View Post
Help guys -
I have a 2006 Commander 4.7L that needs the water pump replaced. Can anyone give me a step by step? Major problem as it's darn cold outside and i have to do this in the driveway. I really don't want to spend lots of time "figuring it out". At the least, can anyone tell me if the radiators needs to come out or can I get the pump out with minimal dissassembly?

Thanks again
I have never replaced a water pump on the XK, but any I have replaced have been major jobs. Take a look at the on line service manual post. You can access the factory manual with just a few tries. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the online Chilton manual and the instructions are very vague. In a nutshell it says, "remove old water pump, install new water pump".

Anyone else replace this?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Points: 9,899, Level: 66 Points: 9,899, Level: 66 Points: 9,899, Level: 66
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Looks pretty straight forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwhO0MT2xMI
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Points: 8,583, Level: 62 Points: 8,583, Level: 62 Points: 8,583, Level: 62
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I haven't changed a water pump on an XK either, but changed them lots of other vehicles.

Transverse mounted FWD motors, changing the water pump is often very difficult.

Longitidinal mounted RWD/4WD motors (XK configuration), changing the water pump is usually pretty straight forward, and fairly easy.

I've never had to remove the radiator to pull a water pump, including my 4 cyl XJ, BUT, it can be a tight fit, so I can't garauntee you won't have to on every vehicle, until someone has tried it.

Having to drain fluid that is mostly water and working with things that are wet will add even more to the discomfort of working in freezing temps.

One word of advice, loosen anything bolted to the shaft of the water pump before removing the accessory belt. The belt will help the shaft resist turning so you can put torque on the bolt heads, if you wait till after removing the accessory belt, the water pump will spin freely and you will be left tyring to improvise a way to hold the shaft still as you try to put torque on the bolt heads to loosen.

Don't completely remove the bolts until after you get the belt off, if the bolts hold the pulley on the shaft, the shaft can pop off and damage the belt or make the belt real difficult to get off.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-20-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Edit: I wrote this prior to watching that video. The engine in the video is a little different then ours on the XK so not all of those steps are needed. Also, If you dont plan on changing the thermostat, then you really dont need to drain all of the coolant out of the radiator. That would be a waste of time and money unless you plan on flushing the system of all the old coolant.

On the XK, the water pump pulley is pressed on. When you purchase a new water pump, it already comes with a new pulley attached. Its a very easy swap, very straight forward, but working in the cold in your driveway will make it miserable. There are several bolts holding on the water pump, and one of them is behind the idler pulley. So that pulley will have to come off to get to that bolt. Since you dont have to worry about the water pump pulley, you can take off the belt first. There is no need to have the belt on there. After that loosen all the bolts and pull off the water pump. If you have a mechanical fan, this will obviously need to come off first before you can start taking off the water pump. A cresent wrench and spanner wrench is all thats needed to get this off. Once the water pump is off make sure you scrape all the old gasket off of the engine so you get a good mating surface with the new gasket. Install the new water pump and reinstall the idler pulley assembly and belt. Reinstall mechanical fan if you have one and refill the coolant. To refill the coolant, first take off the radiator cap and fill the radiator to the top. Next, turn on the XK with the heat on high. Let the vehicle warm up to normal operating temperature. As the coolant cirulates through the engine, air pockets will come out of the radiator. When this happens slowly refill the radiator. Once all the air pockets are out and HOT air is blowing out of the vents top off the radiator and overflow tank and you are set! While you are at it you might as well replace the thermostat too. Normally the thermostat is located towards the drivers side top of the engine right behind where the upper radiator hose meets the engine. However, on the 4.7 Liter the thermostat is on the bottom of the engine near the passenger side lower radiator hose. If you change the thermostat, your mostlikely going to lose a lot of coolant. Remember the only coolant you can use is the Mopar coolant right from the dealer or zerex g-05 HOAT Coolant.
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Last edited by 07JeepXK; 12-20-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Points: 8,583, Level: 62 Points: 8,583, Level: 62 Points: 8,583, Level: 62
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

07JeepXK has a good right up for you.

One more to consider, the Pressure Cap wears also and can cause problems in leaks or maintaining a lower pressure in the system then designed, which can cause problems. I make it a habit to replace the pressure cap with the thermostat, and do it every couple of years, like when I change out the coolant.

Zerex G-05 is the aftermarket equalivalent of Chrysler HOAT, I'm NOT aware of any others, so either get the Zerex G-05 or the Dealer fluid.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanks to all, I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM

Hey guys, for anyone interested, it came off like a charm from the bottom after removing the fan blade. Now to warm up and put the new one in!! think I'll wait for a warmer day to replace the thermostat.
For the record, the reason I can't work in the garage is because the '70 Charger is currently torn to pieces in there.

Thanks again
Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Nice. So I take it you do have a mechanical fan on your Commander? When you mendioned that you removed the fan blade, did you just remove the four bolts holding it onto the clutch and drop the whole thing down as one unit or did you actually remove the entire mechanical fan assembly from the water pump?

Again, just make sure you use the correct coolant when you fill her back up!
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Tags
4.7, coolant, replace, water pump