Transmission trouble code P0700 ??? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Points: 3,493, Level: 36 Points: 3,493, Level: 36 Points: 3,493, Level: 36
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Transmission trouble code P0700 ???

I have read through several other transmission post with kinda similar sounding problems but not the same. So I thought I would start a thread about the problems I am having with my 06 4x4 LTD Hemi Commander.

Its setting the following codes. P0700 and P2098 via the key dance. With a scanner its setting codes for 4th and 5th gear. From memory those were P0734 and P0735.

It is haveing trouble with 4th gear with going sort of wacky jerking then slamming into 4th. 5th seems to have problem in that its running over 3000 RPMs at 60-65mph. Below 40mph driving normal you would not know there is a problem, it goes crazy about 40mph and up. If you lock it manually into 3rd it seems to prevent the jerking and hammering 4th, sometimes it shifts fine into 4th, but it acts up more often then not going into 4th, once past 4th it cruise down the hyway just fine, it can still hit 100mph no problem. I also tested it on a few full throttle take offs and there does seem to be something odd with the shift pattern there as well, it seems to go from 1st then to 3rd, skipping 2nd, but on normal starts you don't notice any problems 1 through 3rd.

To me it sure seems to be an electronic issue, and after reading several post where there transmisions were mis diognosed and rebuilt, without solving the problem I am leary of the independant mechanics recomendation to rebuild the transmission, when it seems so clear to me that its and electronic control issue of some sort.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Black LTD/S W/Hemi

2010 Ford Raptor White 6.2L

2010 GMC 1500 SLT4 Ext cab White long bed 5.3L Z71 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Points: 4,016, Level: 40 Points: 4,016, Level: 40 Points: 4,016, Level: 40
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1999 View Post
To me it sure seems to be an electronic issue.
Fix it then.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Points: 4,553, Level: 43 Points: 4,553, Level: 43 Points: 4,553, Level: 43
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

According to the manual the P0700 code - Transmission Control System (MIL Request), This is an informational DTC letting you know that a DTC(s) is stored in the transmission control module. Which is caused by your P0734 and P0735 codes.

Now your P2098 - Downstream Fuel Trim System 2 Lean. Possilbe causes: Exhaust leak, Engine Mechanical, 02 sensor, fuel contamination.

Now your P0734 and P0735 codes, possibly a speed sensor. Similar to what superacerc is having. It lists alot of other possibilities as well.
2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L QD II.....[I]4in Super lift Supension lift, AEM Brute Force CAI, Defender Roof Rack, 285 70R17 ProComp Xtreme Mud Terrain tires, Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, Rear grab handles, superchips flashpaq tuned for 91 octane, polished throttle body, RCV performance CV Axles, 4X Guard belly guard, 2" receiver and front guard, Rear bilstein 7100 shocks, rocky road upper control arms with moog 3/4 ton ball joints and borla cat back exhaust.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Points: 3,619, Level: 37 Points: 3,619, Level: 37 Points: 3,619, Level: 37
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

The two tranny codes 34 35 are due to the speed sensors not sensing the known values for any certain RPM. They know what the rpm in the front of the trans. through any certain gear (in this case 4 and 5) should be at the rear of the transmission. Seems likely that it's the speed sensors on the tranny or the ESM itself causing the issue. If not it would be mechanical and likely need a rebuild. It seems according to many sources and my mechanic friend that the sensors on this transmission are known to be a failure point and they are what gives the shifting module all it's information. You can see the sensors if you lay under the commander on the drivers side and look up at the transmission. They have two wires going into a round plastic connection into the transmission. Jeep has them for about 60ish.

Those are pretty much my same issues as well and I'm fairly sure it's either the sensors of slipping inside the tranny requiring a rebuild.
Mods: 2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, front tow hooks, 2.25" lift, rusty's 1/4" leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, rear swaybars disconnected, 4xguard front skid plate, mopar steel engine skid, Defender Roof Rack, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" wheel spacers from rough country ($59.99) , Yaesu FTm350 70 cm, 2meter 220 50 watt mobile radio , 5db gain mag mount antenna, Hella 500FF lights.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Points: 3,493, Level: 36 Points: 3,493, Level: 36 Points: 3,493, Level: 36
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
The two tranny codes 34 35 are due to the speed sensors not sensing the known values for any certain RPM. They know what the rpm in the front of the trans. through any certain gear (in this case 4 and 5) should be at the rear of the transmission. Seems likely that it's the speed sensors on the tranny or the ESM itself causing the issue. If not it would be mechanical and likely need a rebuild. It seems according to many sources and my mechanic friend that the sensors on this transmission are known to be a failure point and they are what gives the shifting module all it's information. You can see the sensors if you lay under the commander on the drivers side and look up at the transmission. They have two wires going into a round plastic connection into the transmission. Jeep has them for about 60ish.

Those are pretty much my same issues as well and I'm fairly sure it's either the sensors of slipping inside the tranny requiring a rebuild.
Thanks for the info guys, sounds like I am probably on the right track with my thinking on this.
I really appreciate your detailed insight. Sounds like from what you have told me, that those codes are pointing right to the speed sensors.

I am dropping it off at the Jeep dealer Friday, and I am wanting to be as familar, or informed as I can be with this issue.

With it being out of warranty now, I am really trying to avoid a wrong diognosis leading to some pretty costly repairs that were not needed.

The dealer seemed to agree as well, that it sounded more like an electronic issue, like you mentioned a speed sensor or something along those lines. I am not familar with where all the sensors are located or exaclty which ones effect what, but I am just not sensing any slipage of the trany, just maily odd shifting patterns, and some rough shifts. I rememberd seeing some post that was reffering to a bad injectors, or bad ignition coils that were causing trans problems too. So be it a sensor, or engine issue, none of which would benafit from a trans rebuild if . With that lean code too, it has me wondering if that might not be relative to the trans issue somehow?

I am always afraid when these things are out of warranty, that I am going to get some mechanic that just wants to throw parts at it, till they get lucky and actually fix it. When its under waranty and on someone elses dime, its not that big a deal. LOL But with 80K on the clock and out of warranty it's can be a really big deal to me.

I am also planning to sell this vehichle soon, so spending a ton of money on it at this stage, is just not really something I am wanting to do.

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Black LTD/S W/Hemi

2010 Ford Raptor White 6.2L

2010 GMC 1500 SLT4 Ext cab White long bed 5.3L Z71 4x4

Last edited by cc1999; 02-02-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service