Air Bag Light - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Air Bag Light

I have looked on the forum and haven't found any info on this, my air bag light now come on at different times, sometime it goes away sometime it stays, I checked for codes and nothing. Anyone have this problem and know what to check for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Points: 4,325, Level: 41 Points: 4,325, Level: 41 Points: 4,325, Level: 41
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

seat reclined?

My '06 airbag light came on when the passenger seat was fully reclined. Set it upright, and the light went off. Somewhere in the manual, was the warning not to fully recline the seat when the car was in motion. This has to do with "submarining" under the seatbelts in the event of a crash. I never got a trouble code. I think there is also a sensor to auto shutoff the passenger airbag if a child is aboard.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Points: 2,832, Level: 32 Points: 2,832, Level: 32 Points: 2,832, Level: 32
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

I have the same problem in my 06. light comes on when the passenger seat is messed with. I checked under the seat and found some wires. gave them the old wiggle test and the light went off. I shoved them under the carpeting as best i could and haven't had the problem since. Although i imagine it would come back if stuff were to get shoved under the seat and disturb the wiring.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay in nb View Post
I have looked on the forum and haven't found any info on this, my air bag light now come on at different times, sometime it goes away sometime it stays, I checked for codes and nothing. Anyone have this problem and know what to check for?
You didn't indicate which light - the main one on the dash, or the one that indicates the passenger side air bag is off.
MODIFICATIONS: P255/65R17 Wrangler SA, Chrome Tow Hooks, 4.7L Badge, Black Grill w/Mopar Grill Guard, All LTD Chrome, LTD Exterior App Pkg, Mopar Molded Mud & Taillamp Guards, Woodview English Burlwood Molded Dash, Dk Slate Gray Leather Console Lid and E-brake Handle, Kicker/Infinity, NAVUS, Bilstein Shocks, aFe cai, Nokya HyperYellow Fogs, Rear Fogs
Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
You didn't indicate which light - the main one on the dash, or the one that indicates the passenger side air bag is off.
The main one on the dash, I'll check the passenger seat today as well.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Since it is intermittent, you'll have to find the sensors (behind the front bumper?) and check the connections, for fit and/or corrosion. Good luck.
MODIFICATIONS: P255/65R17 Wrangler SA, Chrome Tow Hooks, 4.7L Badge, Black Grill w/Mopar Grill Guard, All LTD Chrome, LTD Exterior App Pkg, Mopar Molded Mud & Taillamp Guards, Woodview English Burlwood Molded Dash, Dk Slate Gray Leather Console Lid and E-brake Handle, Kicker/Infinity, NAVUS, Bilstein Shocks, aFe cai, Nokya HyperYellow Fogs, Rear Fogs
Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Points: 1,291, Level: 19 Points: 1,291, Level: 19 Points: 1,291, Level: 19
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

my light is on with my 06' as well. dealer said the passenger side airbag sensor is bad. they want 300 dollars for a new one
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Administrator
Points: 53,891, Level: 100 Points: 53,891, Level: 100 Points: 53,891, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
My light is on too but I am guessing it is related to the accident I was recently in.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

Garage Thread
Old 05-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Points: 3,191, Level: 34 Points: 3,191, Level: 34 Points: 3,191, Level: 34
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

I had that issue when it was brand new. They had to replace a sensor.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Points: 7,694, Level: 58 Points: 7,694, Level: 58 Points: 7,694, Level: 58
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

When you do the key dance to read codes in the EVIC/Odometer, it only reads the codes stored in the PCM and some of the codes stored in the TCM.

There are a lot of codes for other controllers and the rest of the codes in the TCM that will never show. And the cheap scan tool that big franchise auto stores use, don't read anymore than what the key dance spits out, although they have stored information in the tool to associate with the code to tell you what the code means, instead of looking it up.

You need the proprietary tool from Chrysler to read airbag codes, that means either going to the dealer, or if you're lucky an independent repair shop near you has invested the big bucks to hae the proprietary tool or very expensive universal tool that can do almost everything the proprietary tools can, most can't afford it, or you have to pay the $8k bucks youself for the tool, that could be done with laptop and adapter cable, if chrysler would allow to happen, which they don't, NOR do any of the manufacturers.

That means you most likely will have to go to the dealer and pay them a fee, up to an hour labor, to spend the 2 minutes to hook up the tool and press a button to read the code. If no code is stored, which is possible, you still have to pay the fee and get nothing out of it.

My '02 Mini-Van still has an airbag light, I can't bring myself to pay the $100 the local dealers want to just pull it into the service bay and read the code and tell me what it is. The light does go out on occassion, it seems to be associated with temperature, when the temperature is below freezing it will go out, as the vehicle warms up, it will come back on again.

Keep in mind, the air bag system is like the Evap Purge System, the Federal Government has set unrealistic standards for the system, resulting in some ridiculous self-tests, so a perfectly good system can fail self-tests and still be good working order, and you can spend a lot of time, money and aggrevation in multiple visits trying to track down the non-problem causing the self-test to fail. For air-bags we are talking they do things like test resistance in circuits and throw a warning light if they are off a couple of ohms. OR, your airbag may NOT work at all, you really don't know, you just get a light, and it could be one of the non-problems or a real problem, unfortunately that is the only way the engineers could get the system certified with the ridiculous standards the Fed's set.

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion