Wrangler DuraTrac 265/70R17s? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires

Wheels / Tires This section contains discussion about wheels and tires for your Jeep Commander.
Sponsored by: Discount Tire

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Points: 2,700, Level: 31 Points: 2,700, Level: 31 Points: 2,700, Level: 31
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wrangler DuraTrac 265/70R17s?

Has anyone used these on an XK with a 2" RC lift?

My BFG MTs need replacing (really BAD vibration from uneven wear*) and I've pretty much settled on DuraTracs for a replacement, but they don't come in the 255/75R17 size my MTs are. I'm thinking of going for the 265/70R17s - that size is listed here (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8393) as being OK with that lift and spacers (I have 1.5" spidertrax), but I'd like to hear if anyone has experience with either these tires in that size, or ANY tire in that size. I'll be ordering them online so I really don't want to worry about them not working out.

Since my first choice for supporting vendors aren't allowed to work on my XK because my spacers scare their lawyers, I'm going to order them from TireRack.com and have my friendly neighborhood speed shop install them and give me an alignment at the same time. I'd like to hear about any experiences here with TireRack as well. I've done a search here and not found anyone complaining about them and I know someone who has used them so I think I'll be OK, but would also like to hear from my Jeep peeps.

*When I last had my tires rotated (about every 5,000 miles) I noticed some really bad vibration between 64 and about 75 MPH. I took them to two separate tire shops to have them balanced and they both told me there's no point in balancing them because the treads are worn unevenly. They first said I hadn't been rotating them (I HAVE!) and one of the shops told me that the MTs really aren't made to drive on normal roads (really?). The vibration is only getting worse - steering wheel shakes like crazy and my son started humming with a clear vibrato coming from the vibrations... So I'm going to hold onto them and maybe get a set of wheels to use them when I want to get really dirty and don't have to drive too far on the freeway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

The problem you are experiencing is cupping to the best of my knowledge. I have that problem with my MT/R with Kevlar in 265/70R17 (size has nothing to do with it but I am running the size you are asking about). I didn't really understand what cupping was but it is just what MT/Rs do on normal roads especially through curves at speed (canyons/mountains where I live). I rotate them a lot and real careful about pressure. Still cup. My friends f-350 had same problem with different M/Ts.

The CHiPs out here run Duratracs on their Durangos and Expeditions all year round. Great in all conditions. Also have a co-worker who loves them on Wrangler. They will be my next choice in tire.

As far as the size goes with the lift. I have no problems... anymore. 4WheelParts pinned my wheel wells back a lot better then they were with zip ties (unnoticeable from naked eye) after I modded pinch weld as recommended and reshaped wheel well with heat gun. So you can run the tires but it takes more then just a 2" lift.

Compare prices at 4wheelparts.com to tirerack.
'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE
Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMP View Post
The problem you are experiencing is cupping to the best of my knowledge. I have that problem with my MT/R with Kevlar in 265/70R17 (size has nothing to do with it but I am running the size you are asking about). I didn't really understand what cupping was but it is just what MT/Rs do on normal roads especially through curves at speed (canyons/mountains where I live). I rotate them a lot and real careful about pressure. Still cup. My friends f-350 had same problem with different M/Ts.

The CHiPs out here run Duratracs on their Durangos and Expeditions all year round. Great in all conditions. Also have a co-worker who loves them on Wrangler. They will be my next choice in tire.

As far as the size goes with the lift. I have no problems... anymore. 4WheelParts pinned my wheel wells back a lot better then they were with zip ties (unnoticeable from naked eye) after I modded pinch weld as recommended and reshaped wheel well with heat gun. So you can run the tires but it takes more then just a 2" lift.

Compare prices at 4wheelparts.com to tirerack.
USMCMP - thanks for the response and your service (guessing Marine Corps. MP by the handle; ain't I bright?).

Your thoughts on the cupping sound right on.

When I look at the tire sizes with the calculator at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp, I get that the MTs I'm currently running are 32.05" in diameter; the 265/70R17s are 31.06" in diameter (1" less) so I would expect that they would fit well since they have a smaller diameter, even though they're a touch (0.40") wider.

I had some rubbing with the MTs and ignored it too long, until the wheel well wore through and broke - this made some really obnoxious noises when the blocks on the tread would catch during a sharp turn, so I just trimmed the wheel well out where the rubbing was and haven't had a problem since - no apparent contact on the pinch weld. So I'm wondering why you say more than a 2" lift is necessary. I'm guessing that your lift is 4".

Don't take it as "I don't believe you," I'm just looking for a basis for the statement. I didn't go through all the size calculations above until now - I was being lazy and looking for others' input

I'll check out 4wheelparts.com for pricing as well.. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

I have the 265/70/17 duratracs in load range C and am very pleased with them. The wear on them has been great at 30,000 miles. I do a 5 tire rotation so I'm sure that has helped at this many miles. Most people still think the tires are new.

They will fit fine with your 2" R/C lift. I have the RR 2.25 in front and OME HD springs in the rear with stock wheels (no spacers) and get pretty minimal rub. If I turn full lock it will rub, but since you have spacers it shouldn't be a problem.

Traction off road is great. I have been mostly in mud, sand, and a few rocky areas. No idea about snow (I live in Houston) but I hear they do great. Traction is very good on wet roads as well.

The noise is definitely more than stock forteras, but still quieter than a M/T. They are even more quiet when compared to my brothers BFG All terrains..
2006 Commander, 4.7L, QT2, Dark Khaki, - RR 2.25" lift in front, OME HD springs rear, 265/70 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (no spacers, original wheels), OME shocks in the rear, Bilstein HD front struts, 4xguard: front guard, belly guard, side guard 2, & rear sliders. Skid plate group with front two hooks, heavy duty tow package, AFE CAI (dry filter)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 PM

Let me say this again another way,

What you will need is:

A 2" lift (I have the ROugh Country)
Mod Pinch Weld (Bent mine back with sledge hammer)
Reshape wheel liner (I used heat gun)

The reason being is the tire is wider plus you have a spacer pushing the tire outboard so when you turn the wheel full lock to the right or the left the outside tread is going to be rubbing that much more against that plastic in the back of the well where it sticks out from factory. See what I am saying or want pics?
'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE
Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 PM

This pic shows how the back of the driver side wheel is rubbing and the front of passenger side rubs a little in this position and catches on the front of liner while reversing. So with your 2" lift do the other modifications or drive your Commander straight. I was so frustrated when I first got it back from shop cause thought I would need smaller tires. I have to run at least a 265 cause 17x9 rim rather then 17x8. I dont run spacers but have 4.53 backspacing which is equivalent.

Last edited by USMCMP; 09-12-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM

I get it USMCMP - and thanks for the pic - I really like those wheels!

Thanks for the response Aggie07. Where do you keep the fifth tire? does it fit (uninflated) in the spare tire well?

I'm going to order them later today; hopefully my XK will be rocking them by this weekend.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 AM

For a long time I kept the spare in the back of the Commander. Now I have it back in the spare tire well un-inflated and carry a small, portable tire inflater. It took some coaxing to get it to fit but it does without any real distortion to the tire.
2006 Commander, 4.7L, QT2, Dark Khaki, - RR 2.25" lift in front, OME HD springs rear, 265/70 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (no spacers, original wheels), OME shocks in the rear, Bilstein HD front struts, 4xguard: front guard, belly guard, side guard 2, & rear sliders. Skid plate group with front two hooks, heavy duty tow package, AFE CAI (dry filter)
Old 09-13-2011, 02:21 PM

I just ordered my tires from TireRack. Not three minutes after the transaction went through, I got a call from TireRack confirming the size of the tires and making sure that I didn't mean 245/70s instead of 265/70s and was I lifted or?? I let them know I am lifted and that I've talked to others using this size and it works so they sent it to shipping. They're estimating tomorrow or Thursday for delivery - and that's shipping ground.

Hopefully I'll be able to have them mounted by this weekend, although I was coming to appreciate the vibrating seats my MTs were giving me at highway speed I won't miss the vibrating steering wheel.

I'm impressed with TireRack so far...
Old 09-13-2011, 04:31 PM

I think you will be pleased with them. I really like the way they handle on/off road.

Will TireRack mount them with wheel spacers? With my stock wheels and lift they just barely cleared the UCA bolt. This was fine since everything moves as a unit, but I still trimmed it ~1/4" just to be on the safe side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Wheels / Tires