'07 Commander Won't Start - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Points: 4,950, Level: 44 Points: 4,950, Level: 44 Points: 4,950, Level: 44
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to AlphaSig293
'07 Commander Won't Start

Sorry if this is a re-post....

About a month ago I tried to start my jeep to run to the store...when I turned the key, nothing. All the electronics came on, but it wouldn't start. I tried jumping it, wouldn't take a jump. Volt Meter read 12.5 on the battery. Left it set over night and started up the next day. I tried to get it to recreate the problem and it wouldn't. Dealership told me to let them know when it did it again.

A couple of weeks later, I was working late, went to go home, and it wouldn't start AGAIN, same thing, turn the key, nothing, wouldn't take a jump, etc. I had it towed to the dealership (they were closed). The next day, it started up for them. They looked at it and said that it MIGHT be the "ignition switch" so they replaced it.

Two weeks later, did the same thing, I left it set on my own and it started up the next day. I called the dealership to let them know that the problem still existed. Took it to Advance and had them check the battery 738 CCA...not the battery.

This morning, literally 5 days later it failed to start AGAIN. So I had it towed to the dealership. Maybe, just maybe it won't start for them. I called to check up on it, it supposedly started right up for them. They are looking into it.

Any ideas? Or has anyone had similar issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Points: 46,373, Level: 100 Points: 46,373, Level: 100 Points: 46,373, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

How old is your battery ? Even though it checks out OK it can still be bad/going bad. Other members here have had a bad battery when it checked out ok.
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM

It is the original battery, but does it make sense that it won't take a jump?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

Park switch

Next time it won't start try pulling it out of park and then put back into park. Maybe transmission park switch isn't quite engaged.

good luck
Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 PM

Dealership called...they now think that it's the starter...$500 to fix it (includes their "diagnostic work" that they've already done).

When I asked if they had it torn apart or if it was back together, because I might just drive it home, they told me it now won't start for them.

How hard is it to replace the starter?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

here you go
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15115
Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Same problem

I can't offer a solution because I have the exact same problem. My dealer could not replicate the problem (full power but would only get one click and then nothing) so they blamed it on my remote car started which has been in the car for 5 years with no problem. My problem started one day after the dealer did a software upgrade for $95 last week.

I took the car to have the starter disconnected and it died in their bay. They can't get it going. Of course I am stuck in another city and have to have it towed to another dealership. We have tried all the computer reset tricks (disconnect the battery for 30+ minutes, lock and unlock the doors 10 times, etc.) but it still will not turn over. I am even using my spare key which I was not using the last time it would not start.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 PM

update to my situation

So...When I told the dealership that I could put the starter in my jeep magically wouldn't start now...so I had it towed home where i pulled the starter off...checked out fine (as I thought). However, I decided to change my battery. This appeared to fix the issue, up until the middle of Dec when I was at the zoo to see the lights...hit the auto start (it was cold) and my jeep wouldn't start. I left it there over night...went back the next day...started up.

A couple days later went to go out...wouldn't start again. So I borrowed a vehicle to use over the holidays as I was out of town. I get back it starts up works from Mon up until 20 mins ago. Now my Jeep won't start AGAIN!!!!!

Now, I've tried putting it in and out of park, applying e-brake, disconnecting the negative on the battery and leaving it set for 15 mins...I have no idea what this could be, but this awesome vehicle has now become a thorn in my side and is 100% not reliable. I can't even drive to work, get gas, etc for fear that is the time that it won't start?

I'm going to go back in 3 hours to see if it will start and then again in the morning on my way to work...Any suggestions would helpful...I'm not sure if I have a short or what, my uncle who is a CJ guy thinks its the remote starter.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Points: 8,952, Level: 63 Points: 8,952, Level: 63 Points: 8,952, Level: 63
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

When you had the starter out did you check the push on terminal and connector for corrosion? I had the same thing happen to my 06 several years back, there is a lengthy thread on here, had the wiring harrness changed and no problems since.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%

i have the same jeep and having the same problem. i too am wondering if it is the remote starter? and is there any way that you can possibly bypass the remote starter to see if i can get the jeep to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion