QuadraDrive II, experiencing crow hop - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Points: 4,050, Level: 40 Points: 4,050, Level: 40 Points: 4,050, Level: 40
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

QuadraDrive II, experiencing crow hop

Crow hop as defined by Jeep.com: Vehicle shudder and tire scuffing due to a binding condition in the driveline. Usually caused by operating in basic 4WD or part-time 4WD modes on dry pavement.

So I test drove a Commander with QuadraDrive II. I understand how this system functions, but I noticed mild crow hop when performing tight turns. Not as severe as my Rubicon would be on the same surface in 4x4, but it was there. Is this normal with QuadraDrive II? Part of me finds it reassuring. I know 4 wheel drive is functioning to some degree because it's doing this. But, I expected Jeep would have done their best to engineer crow hop out of the system when it's not in low range. I can just imagine how many people would be in a panic at the dealer because of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Points: 6,472, Level: 52 Points: 6,472, Level: 52 Points: 6,472, Level: 52
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMischiefVIP View Post
Crow hop as defined by Jeep.com: Vehicle shudder and tire scuffing due to a binding condition in the driveline. Usually caused by operating in basic 4WD or part-time 4WD modes on dry pavement.

So I test drove a Commander with QuadraDrive II. I understand how this system functions, but I noticed mild crow hop when performing tight turns. Not as severe as my Rubicon would be on the same surface in 4x4, but it was there. Is this normal with QuadraDrive II? Part of me finds it reassuring. I know 4 wheel drive is functioning to some degree because it's doing this. But, I expected Jeep would have done their best to engineer crow hop out of the system when it's not in low range. I can just imagine how many people would be in a panic at the dealer because of it.
How fast were you going around the tight turn. QDII has traction control in the front and rear with both electronically controlled limited slip differentials as well as individual abs at the wheel level.

Basically the system does everything it can to prevent wheel slippage and ensure straight tracking (reduce under steer / over steer).

So if you were trying to power around a tight corner it might of been locking up an individual wheel or tieing both wheels on the axle together as it saw fit to prevent slippage. Overall these systems work extreemly well and rarely slow you down or are even noticeable.

One execption I've seen (with QTII) is when making a sharp right turn where the left side is sloped down on an icy/snowy surface you can get some clicking and clunking. From what I've heard, the QDII doesn't do this, or at least not so much.

If it was dry pavement and you were moving slowly there might be an issue with the vehicle you tested.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:40 PM

dry pavement, sharp left turn in a cul-de-sac, at idle. I suppose it is slightly downhill as you come around, but nothing severe. I did not buy this vehicle for other reasons, but going out to test another one maybe on Saturday. I'll be sure to test it again and see if this other vehicle does it as well. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I've never noticed anything like that in my Commander. The only time it does anything is when the ESP is kicking on when the roads are icy/snowy.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Points: 4,553, Level: 43 Points: 4,553, Level: 43 Points: 4,553, Level: 43
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

I have no problem in mine. I even have a 4" lift and have no engagement like that.
2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L QD II.....[I]4in Super lift Supension lift, AEM Brute Force CAI, Defender Roof Rack, 285 70R17 ProComp Xtreme Mud Terrain tires, Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, Rear grab handles, superchips flashpaq tuned for 91 octane, polished throttle body, RCV performance CV Axles, 4X Guard belly guard, 2" receiver and front guard, Rear bilstein 7100 shocks, rocky road upper control arms with moog 3/4 ton ball joints and borla cat back exhaust.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

I am assuming you are experiencing 'crow hop' with the transfer case in the normal high range.
If this is the case, thats a bit unusual.
Do make certain there is no mismatch regarding tire size and brand.

Testing in low range on dry ground will make it 'crow hop' and sometimes a loud bang as the driveline snatches and unloads......horrible sounds coming from a very unhappy transfer case.

Rob
Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Points: 5,970, Level: 50 Points: 5,970, Level: 50 Points: 5,970, Level: 50
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

You didn't say what year your commander was. My 06 did that (Lock Shudder) and there was a TSB on it to change the oil in the Transfer case to a new oil. I put in the new oil and it stopped the hop. The oil is a dealer part only and about $17 did it. Oil for the transfer case is NV245 (QT-II & QD-II): 1.8L (3.8 pts.) For 06 and probably newer also, check your owners manual.
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town

Last edited by rblapham; 12-03-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Points: 6,472, Level: 52 Points: 6,472, Level: 52 Points: 6,472, Level: 52
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMischiefVIP View Post

You mention your Rubicon doing it on a dry surface in 4x4..... Did you engage the low range transfer case on the Commander????

If so....and on dry pavement.... it would be hopping all over the place.

The Commander is always 4wd, but when you put it in low range (pull up on the "T" handle) the front and rear axles are tied together....this will cause all kinds of hopping and banging on dry surfaces.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Points: 3,956, Level: 40 Points: 3,956, Level: 40 Points: 3,956, Level: 40
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I'm assuming your not test driving a new commander as they've been discontinued.
With QDII the ELSD front and rear differentials require a Chrysler anti friction additve.
If the axles have been serviced w/o the correct lube, you can get some binding/release in the clutch packs., most notable in tight turns.
This would happen in either Hi or Lo range.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblapham View Post
You didn't say what year your commander was. My 06 did that (Lock Shudder) and there was a TSB on it to change the oil in the Transfer case to a new oil. I put in the new oil and it stopped the hop. The oil is a dealer part only and about $17 did it. Oil for the transfer case is NV245 (QT-II & QD-II): 1.8L (3.8 pts.) For 06 and probably newer also, check your owners manual.
06. it's not on a Jeep lot so I'm sure not much had been done to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by thance View Post
You mention your Rubicon doing it on a dry surface in 4x4..... Did you engage the low range transfer case on the Commander????
I did, but the crow hop I'm concerned about occurred in "high range"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer9 View Post
I'm assuming your not test driving a new commander as they've been discontinued.
With QDII the ELSD front and rear differentials require a Chrysler anti friction additve.
If the axles have been serviced w/o the correct lube, you can get some binding/release in the clutch packs., most notable in tight turns.
This would happen in either Hi or Lo range.
Yes, it was an 06, not new because as you said the last model year sold was a 2010 and we're now at the end of 2011. A new 2010 with the hemi would be a great find for someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion