Should a used Jeep come with a spare key? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4 Points: 202, Level: 4
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Should a used Jeep come with a spare key?

Hi, I just bought an 06 Commander in mint condition with only 74K from one original owner, however the dealership only gave me one key. "We'll try to get the spare from the owner if they still have it"

I feel they should cough up the money for the spare key as a dealership, seems like the decent thing to do. Just wondering what is common practice for used vehicles? It's a general question but I'll be back with my mod questions to change the wood panel console.. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Points: 54,375, Level: 100 Points: 54,375, Level: 100 Points: 54,375, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
All vehicles are sold with at least two keys, it is common sense to expect two with a purchase and I would demand the dealer provide you with a second key. Since you only have one you cannot program a replacement key and I would hate to be stranded without a key because you lost your only one someplace.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

Garage Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 PM

I think so too, thanks for your input!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Points: 2,792, Level: 32 Points: 2,792, Level: 32 Points: 2,792, Level: 32
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

why can you not get a second one programed?

2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Muds, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front Guard & Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Bilstein 5150 Rear shocks, Robby's front leveling spacer, Pinch weld mod and trimming!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Points: 46,321, Level: 100 Points: 46,321, Level: 100 Points: 46,321, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
why can you not get a second one programed?
It takes 2 keys to program another key if you do it yourself. With one key you have to have the dealer do it and it is big $$$.
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled
Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 PM

I'm sure I can, my question is who should be responsible for paying for it? Me or the dealership?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

Mine came with only one key.....from a dealer. I smell a rat! (this dealer would pull that to make an extra buck)
I only needed one key.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

I'll bet only about twenty percent of trades come with both keys.

Most of the time, the person trading it can't even remember where they put the second key, let alone have presence of mind to bring it with.

Responsibility......thats a rough call.....most dealers will just shrug their shoulders and say that is the way it was traded in.

In the majority of cases, the dealer will get a second key to close a deal but the cost eats into the profit and they rarely take the second key into account when making the appraisal.

Do they owe it to you?
Not really, it's a second hand car.
But, if they take pride in their used car business, they should, but that is my opinion.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Rob
Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 PM

Thanks Rob! I guess I look at it like this.. as a realtor if my clients don't have two sets of keys to their new OR old home or need a cleaning service because it was left a mess etc., I'll cough up the money to close the deal on a kind note to make them happy. It just seems like the decent thing to do. I was just wondering if it was common practice or just something extra that some dealerships are willing to do to separate themselves from the shady car salesmen (like bad realtors that give us a bad name!). I get if most people don't want a spare key but if someone requests it like I did, I don't think that's too much to ask and costs them less than for me to do it myself! Not to mention it wasn't a trade in at another dealership, it was at JEEP.. I just find it extremely tacky

Last edited by theatricalism; 01-16-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Points: 7,910, Level: 59 Points: 7,910, Level: 59 Points: 7,910, Level: 59
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Ask the dealer for a price quote to make an extra key? The Fobik costs about $450 and only the dealer can do it. The earlier transponder keys may be cheaper, but easily into several hundred dollars I'm sure.

Starting in 2009 Chrysler started removing the self-programming feature for keys, by 2010 MY, the Commander no longer has the Customer Key Self-Programming Feature, you have to bring it to the Dealer to have spare keys made.

Sure, in the past, when the Dealer could cut a spare key at cost for a couple of bucks, they would provide you two keys whether the original owner had them or NOT. But today, when the original owner learns that it will cost $450 to replace the key they lost, they make do with one key and trade it in with just one key. The dealer to make a spare key, even at cost is several hundred dollars, sorry, they ain't going to provide you a second key for a full set, unless you pay for it.

I've seen it posted on another forum from a guy at a company that makes the keys says they supply them to Chrysler at $7 a unit, but ask at the parts counter and they'll list at least $350 a unit, and then charge $105 service to program it.

So, you see why what robby says is true, only about 20% of used car buyers are getting two keys.

Its this and other Chrysler Corporate scams/schemes that has made this life long Chrysler only customer, that has never been happier with the engineering and quality of their new cars, to probably never buy Chrysler again. I'm sick of putting up with an Auto Manufacturer that is modeling itself after COMCAST.

You may be able to get a new key off ebay for a lot less than what the dealer charge, you'll need the part number to make sure you get the right one, and watch out for scams, once a key has been programmed it can never be reprogrammed for another vehicle, so it has to be a new, never used key that works for your vehicle. Since you only have one key, you'll have to have the second programmed by the dealer, call around and comparison shop, some may only charge a half hour labor for the 5 minutes of work, others will charge the full hour, and don't be surprised if they refuse to do it for a key you bring them. I still had to wait around for an hour and half, even with an appointment, for them finally to get to my vehicle and do the 2 minute procedure.

Once you've got a 2nd key, you can program more yourself with 2 keys, only the 2010 Commanders had this feature removed by Chrysler.

Last edited by Mongo; 01-16-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion