Differential fluid change - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Differential fluid change

Ok, so I changed my differential fluid. First time I've ever done that, so GO ME!! Anyway, I spilled a little on the cement of my carport, and I'm sure you all know that stuff stinks like crazy. I did find a way to remove it though. Clean as much of it up as you can with shop towels, paper towels, whatever. Get some trisodiumphosphate (tsp) powder. I had some on hand from Lowe's from when I put down my linoleum tile. Anyway, wet the cement a bit and sprinkle the tsp powder over the spill. Scrub on it for a bit with a stiff bristled brush and let it sit for a bit. Mine sat for about fifteen minutes. Then wash it off with a hose. There's still a little bit of a stain on the concrete, but it's 90% gone. I'm sure there are other ways to remove it, but that worked really well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Next time just use brake parts cleaner. Spray it all over the spill area and then use a rag to wipe it up!
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't have any rake parts cleaner, I haven't done any sort of maintenance on my brakes yet. I will probably get to that in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to do all of the required maintenance myself, and learning it all as I go. I don't know what was done when on my Commander, so I want to make sure everything's been done at least once.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Points: 8,195, Level: 61 Points: 8,195, Level: 61 Points: 8,195, Level: 61
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Brake cleaner works on anything! Even cleaning your hands. Though it dries them out.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Points: 2,363, Level: 29 Points: 2,363, Level: 29 Points: 2,363, Level: 29
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

how much dif fluid do you refill with?

i've been told "up the fill port hole, just before it leaks out"

as well, this will be my first diff job, and im kind of scared to tackle it.

i assume you just unscrew the drain plug, drain, screw the drain plug back in, pull the plastic fill port cap, and fill until it's just about to spill out?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFive View Post
how much dif fluid do you refill with?

i've been told "up the fill port hole, just before it leaks out"

as well, this will be my first diff job, and im kind of scared to tackle it.

i assume you just unscrew the drain plug, drain, screw the drain plug back in, pull the plastic fill port cap, and fill until it's just about to spill out?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

The front differential has a drain and fill plug. Just take out the lower plug to drain it, put the plug back in and the refill with new fluid through the top plug until it starts pouring out. Once it stops pouring out put the plug back in. You will need a pump of some sort to get the fluid in the front differential. Any auto parts store will sell one and its usually located near the gear oil.

As for the rear it doesnt have a drain plug. You have to take the differential cover off to get the fluid out. Once the cover is off you need to get all of the old RTV off both the cover and differential casting. Apply new RTV and put the cover back on. With the rear the manual says to fill it approx 1 cm lower then the fill hole.

When I do both differentials I buy 4 quarts of Mobil 1 gear oil and still have some left in the last quart.
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply.

RTV - I'm assuming thats the silicone that is used to form the 'gasket' between the dif and the cover?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Correct. I use the RTV that's made just for gear oil. If I recall correctly it comes in a silver tube.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM

My rear dif actually did have a plug. Popped it off, used the pump to drain it, refilled using dif fluid and friction modifier.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM

I'm going to double check my dif cover, I could have sworn I saw a plug. If not, I guess I'll pull the cover. Just thinking ahead here, when removing the dif cover, would it be best to 'loosen' the bottom bolts to allow the oil to drain before attempting to rip the whole cover off at once, or is this not so easy with the RTV thats already on it?

Also, any suggestions in to lubricants for tight or rusted bolts? WD-40? Is there anything better?

The trucks under carriage is very rusty, I'm in CA, but this truck must have come from an eastern, or salty state before we purchased it. I had a mechanic bust a few bolt heads off trying to loosen them.
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance