Starter goes click, then nothing. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Points: 787, Level: 14 Points: 787, Level: 14 Points: 787, Level: 14
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Starter goes click, then nothing.

Did a search and came up with different conclusions.
Everything has been fine, until we came out of the gym
tonight. I turned the key, and all I got was a click! I tried
about 5 more times, then it started right up. (like normal)
So I shut it off, went to restart and after about 20 tries
it starts right up like nothing was wrong. Not going to press
my luck anymore, I drive it home and shut it off. Tried to start
it, and it started just fine about 5-6 times in a row. Starter
sounds strong, battery seems fine. (lights don't dim)

Could this be the NSS going bad, or another sensor that needs
cleaning?

1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4x4, 3" OME lift, 31" Destination M/T's, Quick discos, SYE hack and tap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Points: 24,643, Level: 95 Points: 24,643, Level: 95 Points: 24,643, Level: 95
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Check the wiring harness that goes to the starter. The harness is known to corrode causing issues. Wiggle it around a little bit and make sure it's got a got clean contact with the starter. Usually when you hear a clicking noise it means the battery is dead. If that happens again, see if the jeep start by jumping it from another vehicle
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs and Bilstein 5125's | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | JKS Rear Sway Bar Quick Disconnects | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | 4.7 Liter Badge
Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
Check the wiring harness that goes to the starter. The harness is known to corrode causing issues. Wiggle it around a little bit and make sure it's got a got clean contact with the starter. Usually when you hear a clicking noise it means the battery is dead. If that happens again, see if the jeep start by jumping it from another vehicle

I'm sure the battery is good. I just hear one click.
Went out about 15 minutes ago, and it started 5
times in a row like normal. I'll check the connections
tomorrow.

1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4x4, 3" OME lift, 31" Destination M/T's, Quick discos, SYE hack and tap.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 AM

Also check the battery terminal connections
2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift Springs and Bilstein 5125's | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | JKS Rear Sway Bar Quick Disconnects | Black Rock Series 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | 4.7 Liter Badge
Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

The single click is what I got when my starter went out. Battery was strong. Got that single click over and over again.
'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Yea so check your starter connections!!! If the issue is misdiagnosed, your just going to be told to replace the starter. And of course it will work fine after that cause the wiring harness would have to come off to replace it and when the new one is installed it will probably get a better connection

Last edited by 07JeepXK; 11-07-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

This is very interesting. I have had my 2010 commander since January of this year and hadn't had any problems until one day about two weeks ago, I jump in after it had been parked at worked for roughly 8 hours, and I went to start it up and NOTHING. No dash lights, no clicking, nothing. So, I immediately tried it again and it started right up with no hesitation, but all my dash gauges and personal settings were back at factory default ,and my clock even resetted to 12:00. So strange. So my husband thought it might have been a battery terminal that was prob loose, but that afternoon I was in and out all evening and never stopped to have the battery or terminals checked at a repair shop or auto supply because it fired up every single time. I didn't think twice about it, but kept in mind to be aware. So, fastforward to this morning, I was sitting in the parking lot before I went into my office and I had the radio on, the heat on a low fan setting and in the park position, and all of a sudden, my gauges all went out and the jeep cut off and then almost instantly, the gauges popped back on and I got all power back. The ignition didn't restart of course but it was in the ACC mode but again, ALL my settings were wiped back to default and my clock was back at 12:00. This is crazy. I drive about 30 miles each way back and forth to work each day and these two instances were the first time this had ever happened or any problems for that matter, I love my Commander... But, since it did happen once before, I decided I am going to go by Advance Auto on the way home in a few and have them check my battery and posts as well if any codes come up because the only code I have that is on there now is low tire pressure because I got a plug a few weeks ago and I think it just may be a little low. And after reading some of the previous posts about this in this forum, I too have noticed that there has been a few times since I've had it that I couln't get my key fob to unlock the doors without doing it a few times. But, just chaulked it up as a low battery in the fob maybe???? I didn't know. But, I guessed I'm perplexed because both times this happened, it was parked and been still for at least a few minutes before it just went completely dead and also both days were pretty cool temps, like in the 50's but I live in the southeast so it doesn't ever snow here and winters are pretty mild, so some common denominators but none that pinpoint why this should be happening. Any help?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
Yea so check your starter connections!!! If the issue is misdiagnosed, your just going to be told to replace the starter. And of course it will work fine after that cause the wiring harness would have to come off to replace it and when the new one is installed it will probably get a better connection

I stated in my 2nd post I would check the connections first.
Wife had the XK today, then I took it to the dentist and it's
starting just fine.

Went to check the connections, and I'd like to know how the
happy hell you're supposed to get to them? It almost looks like
you have to drop the exhaust on the XK? Is there some access
panel to get to it?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Points: 8,494, Level: 62 Points: 8,494, Level: 62 Points: 8,494, Level: 62
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Search for starter replacement. There are some good threads as to how to best get to the connections. Maybe jeep5253 will jump in to give you the sites.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 PM

Just got to reach your had up there. It's really tight but trust me you can do it. If not take ten minutes to disconnect the front drive shaft. That will open up some room. The exhaust doesn't need to come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion