Stalling Issue - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy Stalling Issue

Help!! I pray someone has an answer for me. I've read many posts about this issue, but didn't see any answers or fixes.

I have a 2007 Commander (Overland) with a 5.7L HEMI engine. Everything on it is stock. I just bought it used about three weeks ago.

It sporadically (at highway speeds) will stall when aggressively accelerating - during downshift. It needs to be pretty aggressive acceleration to get it to do it, but when it does it - it's SCARY. There are two scenarios that occur -

1) When downshifting the Jeep stalls and very quickly picks itself back up and running again. (usually within 1 or 2 seconds) I will lose all power (including electrical systems) for a brief moment and then it will pick itself back up again and everything operates as usual.

2) When downshifting the Jeep stalls and is unable to recover itself. I will lose all power and electrical systems and as such - must coast to the side of the road. Now when this happens I've noticed something...if I coast to the side of the road, put the Jeep in park and then simply turn the key to restart it - it won't restart. However if I turn the key completely off - remove the key and put it back it...it will start right up!

As I mentioned this is sporadic and I've not been able to intentionally cause it to stall - it's random.

So far I've taken it to the Jeep dealer (and spent about $1,000) to have the following work done:

1) There was a clunking noise when coming out of reverse. The dealer said it was the front differential bushing. They replaced the bushing and the transmission pan gasket.

2) Stalling when driving - the dealer replaced the ECM and performed 'software updates' on the Jeep. They mentioned something about a known problem with the wireless ECM and needed to replace it and update some software. But it did not work. The other day I was accelerating on the on-ramp of the freeway...it stalled.

Can someone PLEASE help me?!?! Has anyone been able to figure out the problem and more importantly WHAT FIXES THE PROBLEM?

I'm at a complete loss. I've read there are some recalls on certain Jeeps for this exact problem - but my VIN is not included in the recall. And of course, since I bought it used....I own it. I'm sad - and scared.

I bought this to pull my boat - if it stalls going up or downhill with a boat attached - I'm afraid the results could be fatal.

Help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Points: 3,976, Level: 40 Points: 3,976, Level: 40 Points: 3,976, Level: 40
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

I'd replace the crankshaft and camshaft positioning sensors, easy to get to and not very expensive. They go bad and are directly related to stalling.

2006 3.7l Silver and Black Sport W QT1
K&N CAI, 1.5" Spider Trax
Tinted windows, Mobile1 Synthetic
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Points: 46,643, Level: 100 Points: 46,643, Level: 100 Points: 46,643, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhobll View Post
I'd replace the crankshaft and camshaft positioning sensors, easy to get to and not very expensive. They go bad and are directly related to stalling.
I don't think this is his solution. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with his ESP. That's what it does -- it cuts the power to the engine when it is activated, thus the "stalling" effect.
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled

Last edited by jeep5253; 12-29-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Points: 3,976, Level: 40 Points: 3,976, Level: 40 Points: 3,976, Level: 40
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

But why does the esp activate during downshifting?

2006 3.7l Silver and Black Sport W QT1
K&N CAI, 1.5" Spider Trax
Tinted windows, Mobile1 Synthetic
Old 12-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Points: 46,643, Level: 100 Points: 46,643, Level: 100 Points: 46,643, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhobll View Post
But why does the esp activate during downshifting?
I haven't got a clue.
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled
Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

It's not ESP related. We just had a snow and the ESP worked a lot (and surprisingly well actually), but didn't stall the Jeep.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Points: 2,920, Level: 33 Points: 2,920, Level: 33 Points: 2,920, Level: 33
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

See if this affects your year:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ep_recall.html
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as I am having related problems in an '06 with 3.7 L.

The only difference is that mine will do this without acceleration, just idling or driving at a smooth/constant pace in the city. Mine has always saved itself before completely stalling.

The second time it happened I was messing with the driver's side window, going up and down trying to get the "auto" function to stop where I wanted it, and the next time I was at a red light and right when I put on my left turn signal it started happening. That made me think there might be a short somewhere in a wiring harness, but not sure.

It will continue the die/restart process until I stop, take the key out, and restart. After that all seems good again.

Oddly enough, the very first time this happened, I was unknowingly using a defective key (the chip inside is defective and not always recognized by the on-board computer - sometimes it works, sometimes it won't). That made me wonder if the on-board computer might need reset or reprogrammed by the dealer.

I drive the car about once a week and this only happens to me, and my wife drives the car daily and she has never had a problem. I did replace the oil pressure sending switch a few weeks ago, but I would not think that would be related, and haven't had the oil light come on since.

shanealbrandt - if you ever get this resolved please post solution. Like I said earlier, this is my wife's daily driver and I'd hate to see it actually stall and die at highway speed with her and kids in car.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanealbrandt View Post
It's not ESP related. We just had a snow and the ESP worked a lot (and surprisingly well actually), but didn't stall the Jeep.
Whatever you say. I guess you know more than I do.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM

Something you might want to try is changing your transmission filters (there are 2) and see if that helps.

Last edited by jeep5253; 01-04-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
commander, hemi, overland, stall