transmission fluid lines follow up questions 2006 JC - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Points: 1,275, Level: 19 Points: 1,275, Level: 19 Points: 1,275, Level: 19
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

transmission fluid lines follow up questions 2006 JC

2006 JC V6. 3.7L

So if I replace my trans fluid lines (rubber hose with fittings on each ends as they are leaking). I'm assumming that:

1. Once hose and fitting is off, large amounts of trans. fluid is going to leak out?

2. If #1 true, and 2006 JC V6 does not include a transmission dip stick, how am I to replace the fluid amount that leaks out without a dip stick? Just record the amount that I collect, and then add that exact amount back? Is this something I should take in to get done to make sure fluid is at correct amount? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Points: 46,743, Level: 100 Points: 46,743, Level: 100 Points: 46,743, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

The V6 has the Mercedes W5A580, which has no dipstick, just a plastic cap on the tube for the dipstick.

The Mercedes W5A580 does have a special tool that is a dipstick, to check fluid level. The trans is very sensative to fluid level, more so than other trans, so they make it a Dealer/Shop service item only and do NOT include a dipstick.

You can find the dipstick tool on e-bay and other places, it is a tool, NOT designed to stay in the trans like other dipsticks. You pull the cap and put it down the tube and a good portion still sticks out after it bottoms out. So no, after you get the special tool, you can't leave it in the trans like its a regular dipstick.

The procedure for checking the trans fluid level is to use the dealer starscan tool, or another enhanced scan tool that can access the electronics of the trans and read the trans temp from the sensor. Then look up the proper fluid level vs temperature from a table in the FSM, you can find them on the internet as well, and measure that level with the special tool. (See why they made it a dealer/shop only service item.)

If you don't have an enhanced scan tool that can read transmission sensors, you may be able to still use the special tool dipstick, using an accurate temp measure tool against the trans fluid pan.
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Points: 1,275, Level: 19 Points: 1,275, Level: 19 Points: 1,275, Level: 19
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

OK, so I need the special dip stick plus this scanning temp tool. Don't have either of those so Is it really that sensitive, I just can't measure it with dipstick only?

Also, see attached pictures, I read from another post
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...hp?albumid=295

others have just used a dremel and cut the metal fluid lines, then re attached new tubing with clamps and has worked fine. My question then is, where should I cut the metal?

#1 (in picture) maybe an inch past or so where the current metal cringe is touching/attached to the actual metal line.

#2 (in picture) or cut into the metal cringe itself?

(The 2 tubings in picture look clean now as I wiped them off, so I can monitor next few days to make sure is leaking from there)

I also took picture (# 3) of where the metal cooling lines enter the bottom of the transmission unit near bottom of car, it looks like is also leaking from there? Can you give me your opinion on that also based on picture?

If so this is now even a bigger job, that i 'm not sure I want to tackle. I originally thought maybe just leaking form the 2 upper tubings Any info would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	6026   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	6027  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Points: 3,969, Level: 40 Points: 3,969, Level: 40 Points: 3,969, Level: 40
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Man, number three looks nasty! Wonder if mine is like that too! But your rubber to metal connections don't look that bad. Mine look worse and I wouldn't say they're necessarily leaking.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Points: 46,743, Level: 100 Points: 46,743, Level: 100 Points: 46,743, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrj0122 View Post
OK, so I need the special dip stick plus this scanning temp tool. Don't have either of those so Is it really that sensitive, I just can't measure it with dipstick only?
It's your transmission so you can do whatever you want. But the manufacturer thinks it is important enough to make it dealer serviceable only.
Camera, Chrome Wheels, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance