Couple simple questions for expirenced commander owners - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Couple simple questions for expirenced commander owners

My girlfriend owns a black 2006 v6 commander and theres a few things she wants fixed on it.
1) the windshield washer fluid reservoir is either cracked or something cause she said when she puts fluid in it, it just leaks out. I personally havent got to look into it so I was just wondering if it is cracked, how hard they are to replace. I know in my dodge ram it's simple to replace them.
2) her dash lights on the stock CD players are burnt out..and again, just wondering how easy they are to get to.
3) one of her fog light inserts fell out and she was just going to order a new one, but theyre like $40 and actual fog lights were about the same so
I said that she should just get fog lights. So I was looking into it and from what I saw it said that the commanders have a factory wiring harness for fog lights, you just have to get the computer flashed letting it know it now has fog lights by a dealer. (not sure how true this is, thats just what I comprehended from reading other posts)
Im pretty mechanically inclined so im not too worried about doing anything, i just like to have an idea what i'd be getting into before, So thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Points: 5,859, Level: 49 Points: 5,859, Level: 49 Points: 5,859, Level: 49
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Wish I had some answers, but welcome to the forum. I'm certain someone will chime in and help.
2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

The washer fluid resevior should be just as simple as you think... There may be a sensor of some sort connected to it (not sure) but would assume, pop some hoses off, unscrew the mounts and possibly re-plug in any wiring or sensors... Should be straight forward.

As far as the stereo system is concerned... Sounds like fuses? Maybe check any fuses pertaining to the radio and a simple replacement would fix it. I wouldnt think that you would need to dig into the stereo system itself... Check fuses which would either be located under the steering column or under the hood. Seach for diagrams online to locate fuses and establish what they are responsible for...

I have no idea about the fog lights...
Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJorge View Post
Wish I had some answers, but welcome to the forum. I'm certain someone will chime in and help.
thanks, i appreciate it...Forums usually seem the best way to go for advice so I figured I'd come here haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Walter View Post
The washer fluid resevior should be just as simple as you think... There may be a sensor of some sort connected to it (not sure) but would assume, pop some hoses off, unscrew the mounts and possibly re-plug in any wiring or sensors... Should be straight forward.

As far as the stereo system is concerned... Sounds like fuses? Maybe check any fuses pertaining to the radio and a simple replacement would fix it. I wouldnt think that you would need to dig into the stereo system itself... Check fuses which would either be located under the steering column or under the hood. Seach for diagrams online to locate fuses and establish what they are responsible for...

I have no idea about the fog lights...
ah good point on the fuse, never thought about that. i'll look and see
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

There was definitely some recalls on the 2006 models. One of them was a flash/ update to the computer having something to do with going up a hill but I think it was something having to do with brakes while going up a hill.

Get you vin number and call any jeep dealership to establish any and all recalls. Then take your jeep in for the service. Its all free...

I believe that there are actually websites where you can type your vin in and check for recalls that have or have not been resolved on your vehicle. Carfax will usually tell you as well...
Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Points: 4,553, Level: 43 Points: 4,553, Level: 43 Points: 4,553, Level: 43
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

My $.02 on the washer fluid and foglights.

Recently I messed up my drivers side front end while off roading. What happened to me with my washer reservoir was, on the bottom drivers side of the tank there is a plastic type connector that plugs into it. This is where the outlet is of the take to feed your washer nozzles. My came unplugged and caused the tank to drain empty. All I had to do is snap it back into place. To get to it, you would have to go through the drivers side inner fender lining. It can't hurt to check it, you could open that little access panel for your headlamps and see if you could reach it.

On the fog lamps, I'm not sure if I understand what your talking about, but I just replaced the whole assembly, ordered mine from moparpartsamerica.com . It came with everything, even the bulb.

Hope it helps.
2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L QD II.....[I]4in Super lift Supension lift, AEM Brute Force CAI, Defender Roof Rack, 285 70R17 ProComp Xtreme Mud Terrain tires, Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, Rear grab handles, superchips flashpaq tuned for 91 octane, polished throttle body, RCV performance CV Axles, 4X Guard belly guard, 2" receiver and front guard, Rear bilstein 7100 shocks, rocky road upper control arms with moog 3/4 ton ball joints and borla cat back exhaust.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Points: 9,713, Level: 66 Points: 9,713, Level: 66 Points: 9,713, Level: 66
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

For the fog lights, if you get the mopar stuff, you need a new signal stalk in addition to the lights, and, yes, the dealer will then have to activate the lights for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs
Caroline Driveline front drive shaft
285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors
Activated: DRLs + Tilting Mirrors
Autolite Iridiums
Cobra LX 29 LE CB with Firestik antenna
Rear fog lights
Mopar Grille Guard with Rugged Ridge HID driving lights
Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low
Optima Yellow Top

"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 AM
Points: 7,898, Level: 59 Points: 7,898, Level: 59 Points: 7,898, Level: 59
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
My girlfriend owns a black 2006 v6 commander and theres a few things she wants fixed on it.
1) the windshield washer fluid reservoir is either cracked or something cause she said when she puts fluid in it, it just leaks out. I personally havent got to look into it so I was just wondering if it is cracked, how hard they are to replace. I know in my dodge ram it's simple to replace them.
2) her dash lights on the stock CD players are burnt out..and again, just wondering how easy they are to get to.
3) one of her fog light inserts fell out and she was just going to order a new one, but theyre like $40 and actual fog lights were about the same so
I said that she should just get fog lights. So I was looking into it and from what I saw it said that the commanders have a factory wiring harness for fog lights, you just have to get the computer flashed letting it know it now has fog lights by a dealer. (not sure how true this is, thats just what I comprehended from reading other posts)
Im pretty mechanically inclined so im not too worried about doing anything, i just like to have an idea what i'd be getting into before, So thanks in advance!
1)for the washer fluid u have to check the pipe that links the reservoir to the pump and to the hood. Maybe one is not properly linked.

2)for the light, i guess u mean the led bulb, well is not expensive at all but is very hard, and is common on the 2006 commander. I get the same prob on my C/T button. For the cd/radio unit i don't know if is the same process that u follow for the AC module or for the other dashboard lights. I get one burn and i ll let it there cause is too long the process to fix it...i wait other ll get burn too
3)so, if i get i understand it good, u dont have actually fog lights and u wanna install it..right?? well did u check on Ebay? there is the full kit: lights, bulb, relay and button. Did u have the button for the fog light on yours already??

hope to be helpful!!
Present: 2007 Jeep Commander 3.0 L CRD - 2" lift kit - full led interior lights - 6000K HID low beam - 4500K HID fog lights - black HULK wheels - custom side exhaust system - DPF removed - matte black front grille (plastidip) - extra HP and torque chip tuning.
Previous: 2003 Jeep Cherokee/Liberty 2.8 L CRD - custom exhaust system - front bar protection - custom rear tail light - sold at 110.000 KM
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 AM
Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9 Points: 471, Level: 9
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

You have to remove the front bumper for both of these things, so your lucky in that sense. For the fogs, I would consider doing a desperate circuit and switch inside the cab for them. Easier than getting the new pull out signal stalk, then flashing the computer. Steering columns are tough to work on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion