Jeep Commander Forum banner

MarbleGT's 08 Overland

14K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  MarbleGT 
#1 · (Edited)
MarbleGT's Garage

Let the Modding Begin!

2/1/13 - First Day of Ownership

My other car is a Miata (Marble White GT Spec) with EVERYTHING done to it. It's my daily driver/track beast. It has no problem swallowing Corvettes on twisty tracks & then gettting 35+ MPG on the way home.

I'll say that I don't want to go crazy with it...but I don't have a good record with lightly modding cars. I just want to keep it simple, but functional.

Current Mods : Purchased / Not Purchased

Appearance
Eagle Eyes LED Tail Lights
VLED License Plate Lights
TFP Chrome Fuel Door
Morimoto HID Retrofit
Mopar Bull Bar
Rigid 50231 LEDs
30% Tint

Performance/Protection
1.5" SpiderTrax Spacers
2.25" Rocky Road Lift
265/65/18 Toyo Open Country ATII
Magnaflow 12256 Muffler
RockyRidge Tow Hitch Shackle
OEM Tow Hooks

Audio
Infinity Basslink II

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice Commander and Miata. On the Commander, I would suggest a 2" lift, spacers and larger wheels - that is just me though.

#9 ·
I love the leather in your XK!!!!!

#13 ·
Within the next few weeks or so. I'll update this thread when I do. I am going with a 265/65/18 Toyo Open Country II. Should be a good fit...those tires are new but hugely popular. A lot of factors went in to picking them from size to weight, to tread pattern and cost.

#16 · (Edited)
Very minor rubbing at full lock. Im not sure if its enough to worry me, I will however do the pinch weld mod as a safe gaurd. Looks freak'n sweet going to the road...I can't wait to get it dirty.

I also had a Magnaflow (12256) muffler installed. It's perfectly subtle and is just enough to get some head-turning when started. No drone or weird frequencies....simply perfect!

3/26/2013

#17 ·
Looks great!

Tires have much noise? If you do the pinch weld mod, do you have to cut on the plastic inner fenders?

Do you have measurements on the distance from the hub center to the bottom of the wheel well? I was given some measurements of what to expect with the OME and wonder how it compares to the spacers.

#18 ·
The tires are surprisingly quiet...as in silent. There is zero noise. There weren't any balancing issues either. I'll reserve judgement until I've got at least 5k miles on them, but all predictions are this is a killer tire.

Measurements from the front are right at 21.5" and the rear right at 22". The rake is still there, but it looks so good that I don't care. I followed my wife home and was in love!

#19 ·
Thanks for the comparitive values. I been told 21.25" (F) and 21.5" (R) with the OME HD setup. Very similar to your height.

I'm torn between the Toyos and the Goodyear Silent Armors. Your making a great argument for the Toyo's. I tend to think the Goodyear Silent Armors may be better snow tires and I do want good snow traction.

#20 ·
Both are great tires. I'm not sure how much a thin layer of Kevlar does for sidewall protection, but every little bit helps. I am taking this Jeep into Ouray this summer and that will be the ultimate test. If I don't blow a tire, ill swear by them!

I know the original Open Countries were great in the snow, I would assume the new version would be good too.

I was able to save about $110/tire by going Toyo in this size from TreadDepot. Plus, they are a one day ground ship from me. Trust me, I considered them all, but in the end, the Toyo was a no brainer for me. Go with what works best for you. There is a slight lack of online reviews for the ATII, because it is relatively new.

#25 ·
Both are great tires. I'm not sure how much a thin layer of Kevlar does for sidewall protection, but every little bit helps. I am taking this Jeep into Ouray this summer and that will be the ultimate test. If I don't blow a tire, ill swear by them!
Trust me the Kevlar makes a huge difference in sidewall protection. I have been running Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar since 2009 and have been on many trails that others have destroyed their side walls on.

#21 ·
Jordan, I love the decal in your back window. It looks a little like mine :). Thanks again. Your XK is sweet. I love the interior.

#23 ·
Sorry...a bit late.

I could not be happier with #1 the Jeep itself, and #2 the lift/tire choice.

The lift has given us no issues, weird noises, vibrations etc. Rocky Road gets a lot of flak for their customer service, which I have not dealt with yet, but this spacer lift was very well built and presented. I installed it myself in an afternoon with no hiccups. The overall look of a lifted Commander is a sight to behold. It looks like a rugged and purposeful all terrain vehicle. Had my one major requirement not have been to fit in the garage, I would have had no hesitation with going with a 4", or greater, lift kit.

The tires have been wonderful. I've gotten it off the pavement just getting my feet wet and they are perfect. The work wonders in slick mud. Also, on the hwy, they are super quiet and VERY smooth. Once again, all my research paid off. I would highly recommend these for a daily driven Commander that sees the trails. I've been tough on them when I have been able, but nothing excessive.

I probably wont do intake or a tuner as the reviews are too mixed to fool with it. There isn't anything that stands out to me as a must buy as far as performance goes, plus I have my Miata for that stuff. The Magnaflow muffler woke it up just enough to sound like it means business but not attract everyones attention.

I'd like to get several 4XG skid plates and the grill guard, as well as some driving lights. Also on the list is a roof rack with full size spare for when we do hit the more difficult trails.

I shot these pictures (apologies for the quality) the other day parked next to a stock Commander. The 2.25 + tires really work wonders for a standard Commander.

#24 ·
Once again I love your interior (Leather)!!!

Also whomever posted the OME HD hub to flare measurements, are you sure that's correct. I can't see the Rocky Road lift sitting higher than the OME HD. Also I'm sure his suspension has settled a hair since install

#29 ·
With 17" wheels you could probably make it look better with a taller profile tire. With the 18's I'm really limited as to what I can run. I'd probably do a 265/70, though you'd have to run spacers.

#31 ·
It does.

It is fairly close, but I made sure my wife could pull in and out without thinking about it before pulling the trigger. She, and I, like the cross bars on the top as well, so although taking them off would net us another few inches of clearance we opted not to. I will get some measurements today as well as post pics of the clearance we've got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.