Commander Discontinued???? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Points: 2,125, Level: 27 Points: 2,125, Level: 27 Points: 2,125, Level: 27
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Angry Commander Discontinued????

An article in Four Wheeler Magazines states:

Quote:
"The industry buzz about the commander being dropped from Jeep's future product schedule, and news reports have said that the Commander will not be redesigned when the current model's life cycle is over in 2009. The reports surmise that the Commander has not brought in new and different customers, rather cannibalizing Grand Cherokee sales while not meeting it's own sales targets!"
So what is this going to do to the value of our Commanders... I am VERY concerned!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned
Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Re: Commander Discontinued????

As much as I like the looks of the Commander, I always questioned the logic of building/selling a vehicle so similar in size and purpose to the popular Grand Cherokee. Personally, I like the blockier styling of the Commander over the shape of the Grand Cherokee, but I don't think the Commander has been a very strong seller, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it discontinued.

I'm not sure what will happen to the future resale value of Commanders if they should be discontinued, but I would imagine a Commander in good shape would probably be worth quite a bit years down the road, as it will probably be a very rare Jeep in the future.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli
An article in Four Wheeler Magazines states:

So what is this going to do to the value of our Commanders... I am VERY concerned!!!!!!!!!
I am not too concerned about it. It won't be much different than any other SUV. I didn't buy it as an investment. I bought it to drive. Cars go down in value the minute you drive them off the lot and they keep going down. The Jeep hardcore may pay a little more for one in good shape with low miles just like they do with any older Jeep. Who knows, they may "command" a premium in a few years by people who want to continue driving one long after they stop making them. In the meantime, enjoy it.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr

I'm also not concerned about it as I bought mine to drive & tow with. All cars lose value when you buy them, unless they are very rare cars. Since these aren't, they lose value. That's just life and car ownership.

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Points: 3,865, Level: 39 Points: 3,865, Level: 39 Points: 3,865, Level: 39
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkjon
I am not too concerned about it. It won't be much different than any other SUV. I didn't buy it as an investment. I bought it to drive. Cars go down in value the minute you drive them off the lot and they keep going down. The Jeep hardcore may pay a little more for one in good shape with low miles just like they do with any older Jeep. Who knows, they may "command" a premium in a few years by people who want to continue driving one long after they stop making them. In the meantime, enjoy it.

I agree.

I dropped my car off to Jeep this morning to get an issue looked at and there was not one Commander in the lot and there are very very very few driven on the road.. so they did not sell too well over here.. but people that do love jeep and love this shape and size they will pay for it.. i mean there are plenty of people out there buying used SUVs and im sure there are still people out there that love the commander but just cannot afford it (here in Australia they are quite pricey) so when they get the opportunity in the years to come to buy a used one they will buy.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Points: 10,005, Level: 66 Points: 10,005, Level: 66 Points: 10,005, Level: 66
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

I think it would be a mistake to end the Commander especially if there's something about it that's taking sales away from the Grand Cherokee. I don't see the Commander as being that much of an expense seeing as how they share so many parts with the GC. I would compare it to the 300C and the Charger as far as parts sharing. The problem was overbuilding.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Today, a beautifully restored CJ-7 sells for more then when it was new, yet IMHO it cant compare to a TJ. I have yet to actually meet a Commander owner who doesnt LOVE his commander. that indicates to me that if it goes the way of the DoDo bird it will be a sought after vehicle. Personally, I think they ought to improve the Commander even more (higher lift, larger tires, diesel engine) and drop the GC. Todays GC is not very impressive to me so far as looks go. john
Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Points: 2,100, Level: 27 Points: 2,100, Level: 27 Points: 2,100, Level: 27
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

I'm not buying into the rumor until it comes from DCX (or whoever buys them out...). If the Commander is a thorn in Jeeps side enough that they want to get rid of it, then why are they launching other vehicles (2008 Liberty) that take from its' design? It seems to me that it was popular enough to pull its' lines into future jeep design. Unless of course that is the plan; to take the popular features of the Commander and move them to the Liberty, then nix it... Big mistake if they do.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Points: 1,322, Level: 20 Points: 1,322, Level: 20 Points: 1,322, Level: 20
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%

It is very curious that rumors of the demise of the Commander, as we know it, are spreading when both the Patriot and Liberty are Commander style vehicles.
I suspect they will merge the Durango, Commander, Grand Cherokee, and possibly even the Aspen into one vehicle. I also speculate it will look more like a Commander than anything else.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Points: 1,625, Level: 23 Points: 1,625, Level: 23 Points: 1,625, Level: 23
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

So what is this going to do to the value of our Commanders... I am VERY concerned!!!!!!!!! [/QUOTE]

Afterall, the Commander is the pinnacle of resale value right now, what with selling prices of $10K - $12K off MSRP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion