trans transmission problem stuck in gear - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Jeep Commander Jeep Commander Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Sponsor Links
Go Back   Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

JeepCommander.com is the premier Jeep Commander Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

trans transmission problem stuck in gear

Heres a tidbet.
I waited a week to have my 06 commander serviced for a visiable leak.
It was running fine. i check the engine every week, cause im anal like that.
i see that I have fluid on a line. i send it in for service.

The service sucks, etc...long story , differnt thread
I pick up the truck, dianosed as a trans cooler line etc.

i drive home local roads. monday.
tuesday night, i go to take the truck to another dealer with better pricing and who calls me back for a remote start and some brake work.

I get on the highway now, and it felt a llittle sluggish when i started driving...
i realised the trans was struck in either 3 or 4th gear. i left it alone, got to the dealer and added (check transmission stuck in gear) to my to do list.

I kinda remember a thread about people having the same issue with a trans stuck in gear or not shifting.

i went to shift manually to lower gears etc, but the trans stayed locked in (d).

wonder if the dealer does suck like i said, or maybe they didnt reset the vehicle. cause it think i saw something where the trans computer has to be reset.

either that or dum nuts didnt add enough fluid to the system.

well ill see what the diagnoses is tommorow.

I miss my truck
2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000 1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

I know with most transmissions if there is a computer problem or it is in it's "safe" mode (for lack of a better term) then it will default to a high gear. Most of the time it is the highest gear but I am not sure it always is that way.

HILLBILLY DELUXE
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

I had this problem three years ago and several other forum members have experienced similar issues. I don't recall ever seeing a definitive source of the problem, although a recent post on the thread (see page 12) has a TSB linked to it. Hope your problem resolves quickly!

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...read.php?t=132

Gone but not forgotten: '89 YJ, '99 TJ Sahara
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

updated status

I got a call from the dealer today. Dealer #2 in Little Falls.

He stated there was , what looked like, a leak by the trans plug.

I told him that the lines and the plug supposedly were just replaced two days prior.

He stated maybe it was residual fluid on the plug, but also the fluid was about 2 full quarts low.

The invoice for my trans stated :
Transmision cooler line
Transmission adapter plug
hose-oil cooler pressure
plug
fluid

Obviously one of two things is happened.
Either it leaked and they screwed the new plug up , or
They never added the fluid to the transmission

I have to wait for them to wipe the plug today and add fluid, and drive the vehicle today and tommorow.

Again, it makes me feel that Decozen Service is mucho sucko!

All in all so far, to get the brakes done was about 360 for the front and 420 for the rear, also a brake fluid change, added since im doing the while brake system change.

that and the auto/remote start should be about 1300.00 with taxes.

I figure even if I buy four good jack stands, 150.00 and a portable heater for my garage ($80.00)(which would have to be cleaned up just to get the truck to fit in there), plus some ebay complete rotor and pad kit 400.00 Im at about 600.00

so to pay about 200.00 for the (professionals) and to get the fluid changed Im better off going with the dealer. Also Id rather have someone else than me do the brakes..so if I crash i can blam and sue them

Oh well, I'll give you updates. Im too pissy about the whole fluid trans thing right now. Either way, Im glad by checking the truck frequently, I saw the problem before I got stuck out on the highway somewhere in 22 degree weather.
2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000 1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service