HD Radio integration... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,052, Level: 27 Points: 2,052, Level: 27 Points: 2,052, Level: 27
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: .
Send a message via AIM to atljar
HD Radio integration...

Are there any options for integrating HD radio into the factory system (2006 Commander)? I have the RAQ head unit, BA speakers, no Nav and no VES.

I have looked and looked but havent found anything.

-Jared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,499, Level: 100 Points: 59,499, Level: 100 Points: 59,499, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
What is a HD radio ? High Definition ? Never heard of high definition radio.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned
Points: 2,634, Level: 31 Points: 2,634, Level: 31 Points: 2,634, Level: 31
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

HD radio is digital quality radio over the air waves, which offers a better signal, and also offers multiple simultaneous programs for the same stations, for example, in new york, z100 has 3 channels, PLJ has 3 channels, etc. The beauty about it is that it is free, without monthly subscription fees. I replaced a factory radio on my malibu and chose one with HD radio built in. when commercials come on, you can select one of the other channels, which may have content or music from the station that took place at a different time of the day.

here is a link to the HDradio website:
http://www.hdradio.com/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,052, Level: 27 Points: 2,052, Level: 27 Points: 2,052, Level: 27
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: .
Send a message via AIM to atljar
Spot on description above. I had it in my Durango with aftermarket head unit and fell in love. I would like to keep the factory 6 disk in the JC however, so looking for integration options.

FM becomes more crisp and defined, without any background noise/hiss. AM stations sound like regular FM. Then you get the added bonus of the simul cast stations which around here are all free of commercials

Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I just installed an HD Radio adapter in my '08 Commander with the factory Nav/Sirius radio. I also installed a Lockpick at the same time which made the installation of the HD unit a snap. The unit I bought is the Visteon Zoom and is on Amazon for about $40 - a great deal! I mounted the small control head right under the ignition switch with Velcro and it looks very inobtrusive. The only extra thing you'll need to buy is antenna lead adapters which you can find on ebay, Frys or Amazon. The Metra 40-EU30 (VW/BMW adapters) is what you'll need. Do NOT buy the "2002 and up" Chrysler ones as they won't work.
I located the control units for both the Visteon Zoom and the Lockpick behind the glovebox. After removing the glovebox there is a perfect padded shelf to place the boxes. Using the Lockpick, the HD Radio plays through the VES Aux input.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Before going to all this trouble, make sure there are HD's stations within tuneable range of you. I got an aftermarket radio with HD, for one of my other vehicles, its is really neat, but I live in a semi-rural area and do NOT have any HD stations within tuneable range, its only on road trips I get to use it.

An aftermarket radio in a '99 vehicle is many times easier than a module add-on in todays vehicles.

HD radio is a hybrid radio signal with old fasioned analog broadcast simultaneously with digital. Your radio tunes the analog signal first, and it can tune it farther out than the digital. Then if it can lock on to the digital signal, it combines the signals for higher quality sound and extra channels of programming.

When you tune in, if you can lock onto the digital signal, the display on the radio will say "HD1" in the corner, bump up the tuner and instead of going to the next frequency, you go to "HD2" which is the same frequency, just another station sqeuzed into it, you can go to "HD3" as well and even a few even have "HD4".

FM radio is boosted to "CD" quality, the same as Satellite, although I still say satellite sounds better, you can notice the difference in sound quality with HD.

AM radio is boosted to "FM" quality, and you can get stereo and hear the difference.

Like already mentioned, your favorite station triples it programming, and you can jump back and forth between several feeds the radio station can provide over the digital signal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in