Odd problem after NAV/Stereo Installation - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Odd problem after NAV/Stereo Installation

I have a 2007 Commander that I recently decided to upgrade the audio system. I had the Stock radio w/Sirius and Boston Acoustics speakers.

I had a local audio shop install a new bezel (nav) and then install a Kenwood DNX7140 with iPod Adapter and Sirius.

After delivery I noticed that my remote door entry and remote start was working only part of the time. Sometimes it would work with no problem and other times I would have to open the door to set off the alarm and then it would begin working.

The audio shop (national chain) looked the system over and took the Commander to the local jeep dealer. They ran diagnostics and reflashed the ECM (I may have the module wrong). They lost power in the middle fo the flash and I had to wait a day to get a new chip.

When I received the Commander back it still displayed the same behavior.

I asked the shop to remove the new system and replace with the old in an effort to determine if it was related to the new equipment. They agreed. At this piont I have had the old radio installed for a couple of weeks and the doors locks and remote start are working fine.

The shop told me that I will most likely have to keep the old radio in the vehicle along with the new and use a special harness in order for everything to work properly.

Does this sound right?

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Points: 4,795, Level: 44 Points: 4,795, Level: 44 Points: 4,795, Level: 44
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

I say take it to a dealer and hve them try to install it correctly.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Just a thought...

When I installed my aftermarket headunit there was a period of time that it (the stereo) would turn off/change function/mute/fuzz screen/etc. without any user input. I spoke to the tech. rep about the symptoms (because I thought UPS had dropkicked it to my door or something) and he said that it sounded like a weak power connection and to recheck the connections/power source. Sure enough when I opened everything back up I found that two wires (of the huge excess that accompanies aftermarket stereos) had been pinched in between the unit and mounting bracket just hard enough to slice the wire insulation. A quick wrap with Etape and a few zip-ties later and everything works like a charm. Hope your fix is just as easy!

On a side note, though, your shop wanted to keep the factory headunit wired to the Jeep system AND install the Kenwood? This sounds ridiculous. This sounds like the same people that wanted to screw/secure my overhead monitor to where the sunroof tucks away, because "there is electronic stuff in the headliner between the skylights that you don't want to hit with a screw." Crazy people!

Last edited by Kansas1230; 12-01-2009 at 02:06 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Points: 4,039, Level: 40 Points: 4,039, Level: 40 Points: 4,039, Level: 40
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%

sounds to me of a simple case of the installers at the big box store not having a clue of what theyre doing. The most likely have the wrong or wired up wrong, the canbus adapter. All the units you mentioned are controlled by the canbus and it sounds like the adapter they used may be the wrong one.

Other words yes you do need a "special harness" for your vehicle, it is the canbus adapter that converts the digital signal that controlls most of the vehicle to a signal that the aftermarket HU can understand. (and only chevys do you have to keep the original radio in the vehicle hidden in the trunk or so)

I don't want to offend anyone, but this is where you get the difference taking a vehicle to a box store vs a local car audio shop. Its all in the experience. (sry if that does offend anyone)

Jeff K

Jeff Kidwell
2009 Car Audio Nationals 1 seat Champion
2009 IASCA Amature SQI North American Champion
Team ARC Audio Team Dynamat
TeamAudionutz Team Kinetik

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in