pioneer dual din navigation in dash? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,368, Level: 20 Points: 1,368, Level: 20 Points: 1,368, Level: 20
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

pioneer dual din navigation in dash?

We recently purchased a Commander limited and love it. The only option it is lacking is the nav. I would prefer to put in a pioneer hard drive/nav but:

1. Crutchfield says it will not fit has anyone sucessfuly installed a full size in dash aftermarket nav?

2 Will I lose the rear parking assist with anything but the aftermarket nav?

3. Will I have to buy all new speakers if I go away from a Chrysler a Nav?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Points: 2,554, Level: 30 Points: 2,554, Level: 30 Points: 2,554, Level: 30
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

Re: pioneer dual din navigation in dash?

1.the deck is an over sized din 1/2. The double din will not fit the space. You will have to get a custom dash built to fit the double din. by dash i mean the plastic piece around the radio. You can get this done by any custom radio shop and can run you anywhere from $150-350.

2. you will lose the feature where the radio cuts off so you can here the warning beep. You can turn your radio down and the sensor will still beep. You can add a back up camera to the pioneer. If you have steering wheel controls you will lose that as well.

3. you dont have to replace your speakers. I beleive you have to get an adapter if you have the upgraded boston speakers. Hope that helps
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Points: 1,505, Level: 22 Points: 1,505, Level: 22 Points: 1,505, Level: 22
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

I posted this before, but its worth repeating! I too was sold on the Pioneer, but after comparing it to the Alpine, I felt the Alpine was the better purchase (not just a better value). The gentleman at the stereo shop advised me that in January, the buzz is that the Alpine will have the double din GPS/DVD/MP3 player with all the bells and whistles. Similar to the one they have now, with more 'features'. I'm gonna wait until January since I'm in no real hurry. Now, it doesn't have the 30g hard drive like the Pioneer, but its IPOD ready and that fine with me. Perhaps if you wait until January, more of the bugs will have been worked out of Pioneers new models too! Remember, as I was told, that all the '07 stereos don't actually start appearing until '07! I really hope this helped...RAT

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

my concern with not getting the factory NAV is when needing to update it. i've never had one of these (except a handheld). if it needs a software update how do you do it? do you need to remove it from the vehicle and take it in to your computer or can you insert a CD? i will be buying one in the next 6 months and would like it to be in the dash so to keep a clean appearance.

From the land of the 6-time super bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

for the factory unit, the map comes on a DVD. To add new maps later you just insert a new DVD.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

The OEM Nav from Jeep is an Alpine. All software updates, internal AND maps are provided by newer map DVD's. Once updated by the DVD, you cannot go back to the previous DVD.

Actually, I prefer this, as the unit, itself, will be kept up to date. My other vehicle, '04 Cadillac SRX, is NOT like the Jeep. It only gets new map data, but no internal updating.

'06 Commander Limited, Black, Hemi, Nav; '04 Cadillac SRX AWD, Blue, N*, UltraView, NAV; '00 Regal 29' Commodore
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

if any of you guys buy an aftermarket in dash unit let me know how you like it. i was planning on buying one to set on top of the dash but i'm kinda a neat freak and hate clutter. an in dash would be perfect but i was afraid to get one when i bought it.

From the land of the 6-time super bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers!!!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30 Points: 2,576, Level: 30
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

If you change options at the Crutchfield site to with Nav it says it fits. You would need to get a Nav bezel, which is the entire fron upper piece with all the allen screws. You will also have to remove the metal pincher bracket from the top of the opening, its held in by one or two small screws. List price for the bezel is about $100.

Last edited by ktek01; 11-08-2006 at 11:07 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

You can easily put in a double-din unit...order the OEM bezel kit for the factory navi system, I got mine from www.just4jeeps.com.....

Order the CAN bus interface, I used the CHYAH05 from Peripheral Electronics, http://peripheralelectronics.com/pro...559&strSearch=

This device makes the install very simple, it provides all the connections you need rather then hunting for them.

Metra makes a dash kit to mount the DD unit in the OEM Bezel.

All factory functions are reatined, including the speakers, amp, mutes, etc.

I did a full Kenwood system, with Navi, Sirius, iPod and Bluetooth in about an hour.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Points: 1,718, Level: 24 Points: 1,718, Level: 24 Points: 1,718, Level: 24
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

So, in order to make a double din fit..I'll need to order the nav. bezel from the stealership. Otherwise, the shop will have to do a custom job possibly shaving the old bezel's opening to fit the new unit.

a custom job will look like the one done on this pic.

What was used to fill in the control knob openings? Reguardless, nice job by the installers.

Links just incase you all see a red "X".

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...11_33_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...11_29_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...11_28_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...11_32_full.jpg

//EDIT// added pics w/ links of custom job.

Last edited by another chris; 11-26-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in