HID Install gone bad! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Points: 361, Level: 7 Points: 361, Level: 7 Points: 361, Level: 7
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Exclamation HID Install gone bad!

So my brother sent me a set of HIDs for my jeep, so i plugged them and and my whole jeep shut down. No headlight, windows didnt work, wont start.... nothing. So i take it to jeep and it turns out the hids sent back 150 volts to my circute board and control modular and burned that all up. keep in mind the head lights are only suppose to send back .5 volts. so ya, totally fried my jeep. They ordered the parts and will be in tomorrow. This one will cost me over 800 bills.... The also informed me that there might even be more wrong but they cant check until these new parts are in because everything is so fried there computer cant get past those 2 parts..... So if you want HIDS let the dealer install them.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Plenty of members have installed HIDs themselves with no problems.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Title changed to reflect contect of thread.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

I'd think we need more info.

HID's are electric arc lights. The ballast can put out a couple of THOUSAND volts to get the arc started, then drops back and maintains the lit arc at around 85 volts.

The usual HID ballast has high voltage leads for the HID element, and low voltage wiring for the input. I could see something getting hooked up wrong and Kingdom-coming everything in the rig.

2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

You betcha.....and trust me, I know, you'll never get the smoke back into the box!

Rob

|
|
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Points: 524, Level: 10 Points: 524, Level: 10 Points: 524, Level: 10
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

I think I'll stick with Silver Stars. My car's too new to dink with it. I wanted HID's, but the only model with it when I bought my '09 didn't have as much of a discount. In fact, if I were to factor the difference in price after the discount, the HID's would have cost me about 4 grand! and that's for a $450.00 list option. I'll keep the bulbs!

'09 Bright Silver Limited, 4.7. QD II with ELSD's, skids, uConnect, Nav, backup cam, iPod, Sirius, tow IV, front hooks, 17's, Superbumper SU 318
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Wow that sucks. Man I don't know if its the Commander in general or just an unlucky batch, but HIDs are a bit of a problem. My old set was the worst. When you first turned them on, the left light would quickly blink and shut off. Then once you turned the lights off and on again, both would ignite with no problem. This drove me so crazy that I upgraded to a new 25000K set. Although the flickering problem went away, when I initially turn the lights on the right light begins as a dark purple and the left one is bright white. After a very brief moment (about 3 seconds from initially turning the lights on), they both adjust themselves to the deep blue they intended to emit. All my friends have HIDs on their cars and I seem to be the only one with problems (thankfully my new problem isn't that bad, just a bit weird for a few seconds). Well, at least I know I'm not alone, although I haven't quite managed to fry the electrics in the truck. I wish you luck and, given the apparent Commander HID curse, recommend you having the dealer install factory HIDs.

2007 Jeep Commander 4x4 BLACK: 2" RC Lift, 17" Matte Black V-Tec Rims, 255/75/17 Tires, E&G Classics Grill, K&N CAI, Tinted Windows/Turn Signals/Taillights, 25000K HID Low Beams/Fog Lights, 12" Kicker CVX Subwoofers, AVS Vent Visors, MOPAR Roof Bars/Step Bars, LED Lighting, 13" Rubber Antenna, Rear Grab Handles, MOPAR Front Suspension Skid Plate, Chrome Fascia, Weathertech Floor Liners.

Future Mods: Black Out Grill, AVS Bugshield, New Kicker Speakers.

Wish List: Dual Super 44s
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4 Points: 238, Level: 4
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

I am havng the same issue wont start after HID install everything inside works but car will not start getting a transmision overtemp error for some reason
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Points: 4,556, Level: 43 Points: 4,556, Level: 43 Points: 4,556, Level: 43
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

guys! be really carefull with the polarity! i had to switch the wires in the truck harness connector cuz it was inverted to the ballast.yes it connects directly but make sure positive is with positive and ground with ground.dont go by colors please use a test light or better multi meter.and also the relay harness is a very good idea!
i always buy from ddmtuning but im sure threres a lot of great stuff elsewhere !

2006 commander limited 5.7 hemi silver loaded and now with hid's hi low and fogs,now with viper 5901 alarm starter combo and idatalink ads al ca ch5,yokohama geolandar I/T GO72
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by H311B0Y View Post
guys! be really carefull with the polarity! i had to switch the wires in the truck harness connector cuz it was inverted to the ballast.yes it connects directly but make sure positive is with positive and ground with ground.dont go by colors please use a test light or better multi meter.and also the relay harness is a very good idea!
i always buy from ddmtuning but im sure threres a lot of great stuff elsewhere !
Yes, the headlight connector can be either way, you need a test light. Better yet, do NOT connect directly to the headlight connector. Use a relay instead, and that will also isolate the Jeep wiring from the HID ballast. You will also need a resistor to ''fake out'' the Jeep's computer, or you end up with HID's that won't shut down etc. Been there, done that.

I gave it up anyway, because the OEM headlight reflector is all wrong for the lengthy HID elements, and there's no bulb shield. People will flash their brights no matter how you aim them. That's why I converted my fog lights instead.

2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Tags
hid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in