Aftermarket Radio '07 Commander- parts - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Aftermarket Radio '07 Commander- parts

Hi Guys,

New to the board. This is an awesome community!

I am looking to change my factory head unit to an aftermarket one. I realize there are probably a few other accesories on the Jeep right now that connect the factory unit, so I want to be prepared before taking the dash apart.

I have Boston Acoustic system, but no Navigation. I am looking to swap out the single factory unit and throw in a double din DVD player like the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD, Not interested in a Navigation system as I already have a Garmin I got as a Christmas gift. So just going with a DVD player. Reason I like this one is because of the IPod feature and Bluetooth.

So I have basically done some homework based on a few of the threads here and other sites. But see if you can help me out:

1) I have to swap out the entire Dash Bezel so that I get the Navigation opening. I will try to mess around with the current stock one and cut-out the hole needed, but not holding my breathe.

2) On top of the new Bezel, what Double Din Dash Kit should I be picking up, can someone recommend a part number they have picked up that works nicely so I can find it online.

3) I'm assuming I will not find speaker cables running to my factory speakers directly from my head unit because I think this Boston Acoustic system has an Amp to it. Is there a way for me to bypass the Amp and hit those speaker terminals directly from the new head unit and basically not use that Amp? What's the difference in the sound quality. Or is there a harness to link up directly to that amp? I highly doubt they run RCA lines to it, right?

4) Is there a standard wire haness I should be buying just to link up the head unit to the current power, ground, remote leads hooked up to the truck via the factory plug?

5) Is there a cable/harness I need to buy so that my reverse sensor indicator on the rear of the truck contiunes to operate via the speakers?

6) Is there also a cable/haness I need to hook up for the steering wheel controls and is it even worth it? How much can those controls possibly do on a high end receiver with so many features like this one?

7) How do I override the parking brake situation when it comes to videos.

Thanks for any help and parts recomendation you can provide to me. Also let me know if I'm missing anyhting here or if some other accesories are linked to the original radio. I have a remote starter and hope that's not going to be affected.

Thanks again for any help here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Points: 3,020, Level: 33 Points: 3,020, Level: 33 Points: 3,020, Level: 33
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 130000
There are several different adapter harnesses available- some state they work with amplified and non amplified systems- also saw a harness that is suppose to work with the steering wheel controls. I installed an aftermarket double din head unit but did not have the amplified sound system and don't have the steering control feature in my '07.

Did what you indicated- replaced the dash bezel with a DD style (around $100 new), searched on EBAY for the mounting kit and wiring harness kit(PAC is one company I can think of off hand)- didn't have to cut or splice anything.

Here is a link to an item on eBay for an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...fAudioQ5fVideo

Mine was a pretty straight forward and basic upgrade- there are many other members here though that have some pretty high tech stuff going on in their XKs.

Good luck with your project.

'07 Stone White 4.7L, 4x4, QTII, RC lift, K&N CAI, Flaspaq 3875, OEM Class III receiver, 265/70/17 NITTOs, 17x8 Eagle Alloys, Grill Guard, Eagle Eye Spot Lights, CB, Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/NAV, SAT Radio, Blue Tooth, IPOD, MP3, DVD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Points: 319, Level: 6 Points: 319, Level: 6 Points: 319, Level: 6
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysanchez View Post
Hi Guys,

New to the board. This is an awesome community!

I am looking to change my factory head unit to an aftermarket one. I realize there are probably a few other accesories on the Jeep right now that connect the factory unit, so I want to be prepared before taking the dash apart.

I have Boston Acoustic system, but no Navigation. I am looking to swap out the single factory unit and throw in a double din DVD player like the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD, Not interested in a Navigation system as I already have a Garmin I got as a Christmas gift. So just going with a DVD player. Reason I like this one is because of the IPod feature and Bluetooth.

So I have basically done some homework based on a few of the threads here and other sites. But see if you can help me out:

1) I have to swap out the entire Dash Bezel so that I get the Navigation opening. I will try to mess around with the current stock one and cut-out the hole needed, but not holding my breathe.

2) On top of the new Bezel, what Double Din Dash Kit should I be picking up, can someone recommend a part number they have picked up that works nicely so I can find it online.

3) I'm assuming I will not find speaker cables running to my factory speakers directly from my head unit because I think this Boston Acoustic system has an Amp to it. Is there a way for me to bypass the Amp and hit those speaker terminals directly from the new head unit and basically not use that Amp? What's the difference in the sound quality. Or is there a harness to link up directly to that amp? I highly doubt they run RCA lines to it, right?

4) Is there a standard wire haness I should be buying just to link up the head unit to the current power, ground, remote leads hooked up to the truck via the factory plug?

5) Is there a cable/harness I need to buy so that my reverse sensor indicator on the rear of the truck contiunes to operate via the speakers?

6) Is there also a cable/haness I need to hook up for the steering wheel controls and is it even worth it? How much can those controls possibly do on a high end receiver with so many features like this one?

7) How do I override the parking brake situation when it comes to videos.

Thanks for any help and parts recomendation you can provide to me. Also let me know if I'm missing anyhting here or if some other accesories are linked to the original radio. I have a remote starter and hope that's not going to be affected.

Thanks again for any help here!
Hopefully i can answer some of your questions, as i also have the BA system (but w/ the 6 disc cd changer)

1) you can order the dash from a dealer, from what i read they usually run ~$100 or so

2) metra part #: 99-6510 here are the instructions for it. page 9 for the commander, page 12 for double din
http://documents.victorytechnologies...oduct/8567.pdf

3) you are correct, there's not speaker leads running to each speaker from the deck. the deck sends a digital signal to the amp and the amp sends the signal to each speaker. i would recommend using the PAC C2R CHY wirining harness; i paid $110 at a car audio shop. (didnt have time to wait to order online) it allows you to keep the factory amp and you can buy the optional steering wheel control module (i'll get into that later). in my opinion you'd get better sound using the factory amp since it's made for those speakers. the only downside on this is you lose the ability to fade from front to rear speakers (you can still change balance to left and right though)

4) the PAC C2R CHY has all the harnesses you need and plugs directly into the factory plugs in the dash (incl power, ground, etc).

5) with the PAC C2R CHY you still keep the reverse sensor alarm. (i know from experience!)

6) with a multimedia deck i honestly dont see the need for it, those decks usually come w/ a remote anyways. if you still want it just get the PAC one that connects w/ the C2R CHY.

7) if you want to do this i'd say go w/ a kenwood/alpine, most pioneers dont allow this as it's illegal in most states (if not all states). dont quote me on that though, there may be a bypass for pioneers but i just havent seen any. plus, i really liked the kenwood multimedia decks. i was going to do the same thing you are (still want to) but just bought the kenwood excelon KDC-X794 last week. (sounds great using the factory amp)

i dont know how much you're looking to spend on a deck, but check out the kenwood excelon multimedia ones. they're really nice and have a lot of features.

hope this helps. if you have any other questions let me know.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Don't know what your interior color is, but with any luck it's slate grey:

http://www.radiosandmore.com/rm/prod...?pn=5JT12XDVAH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in