NAV Unit Zoom stick broken.... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

NAV Unit Zoom stick broken....

First off....

I am a new 2006 Limited Jeep Commander owner (as of about 12 hours ago) and I love it so far! I bought it sight unseen (sort of, pics only) but so far it's great.

I have a problem with the NAV System. The NAV stick seems to be broken as you are unable to do anything with it. I am just curious to see if anyone has tried to fix the zoom stick or if they just replace the unit.

I also wanted to know if the factory rear DVD system is capable of using wireless IR headphones so I don't have to listen to the kids movies!!

Does the 2006 NAV unit have the ability to play DVD movies on the unit or is it for NAV only? If so, how do you "open" the Navigation DVD slot to put a movie in?

Sorry for all the questions and I know I'm a newbie....so be gentle!

Thanks again everyone....

jeep-kid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-kid View Post
The NAV stick seems to be broken as you are unable to do anything with it. I am just curious to see if anyone has tried to fix the zoom stick or if they just replace the unit.

I also wanted to know if the factory rear DVD system is capable of using wireless IR headphones so I don't have to listen to the kids movies!!

Does the 2006 NAV unit have the ability to play DVD movies on the unit or is it for NAV only? If so, how do you "open" the Navigation DVD slot to put a movie in?
#1 the only fix for this problem is a replacement unit

#2 They do use wireless (I still have not purchased mine) but I do not know if they are IR or not.

#3 You cannot play DVD in the '06 NAV unit, only in the player at the rear of the center console. You can however purchase a unit which will allow you to view those movies on the NAV head unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a49erFan View Post
#1 the only fix for this problem is a replacement unit

#2 They do use wireless (I still have not purchased mine) but I do not know if they are IR or not.

#3 You cannot play DVD in the '06 NAV unit, only in the player at the rear of the center console. You can however purchase a unit which will allow you to view those movies on the NAV head unit.
a49erFan --

Thank you for the replies. I guess I'll be on the lookout for either a factory replacement or an aftermarket one. I was just excited to have the "cool" interface vs a 1997 Grand Prix radio that I had been used to!!

I am going to head to my buddies install shop and see if they are IR. Based on the TV unit it looks to be. My buddy said that if there are a row of LED's in the base of the front of the TV, it is IR. I looked tonight and it looks like they are.

That's too bad that it won't play DVD's....are ALL of the factory units going to be the same way, not play DVD's in the front unit? If so, I guess I'd be better off getting an aftermarket one.

Thanks again for the info!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Actually the joystick is repairable. You can do it yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron, if not you can send it to someone that will fix it for about 200.00. The part is only about 25.00 so if you aren't handy with a soldering iron see if you know someone who is.

The headsets are IR. I just bought a set with a remote for 75.00 shipped on eBay, brand new. There is also a seller that sells them individually for 20.00 brand new. These are not listed as OEM, however if you compare his pics to those of the OEM headsets they look exactly the same.

If you have a rear camera input (Most 06's don't) then you can buy a unit for about 250.00 that will open up a few options on the REC nav system:

http://www.coastaletech.com/REC_LOCKPICK.htm
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl View Post
If you have a rear camera input (Most 06's don't)
Actually more do then you think, he has the limited so there is a likelyhood that he too has the back up camera.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually the joystick is repairable. You can do it yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron, if not you can send it to someone that will fix it for about 200.00. The part is only about 25.00 so if you aren't handy with a soldering iron see if you know someone who is.

The headsets are IR. I just bought a set with a remote for 75.00 shipped on eBay, brand new. There is also a seller that sells them individually for 20.00 brand new. These are not listed as OEM, however if you compare his pics to those of the OEM headsets they look exactly the same.

If you have a rear camera input (Most 06's don't) then you can buy a unit for about 250.00 that will open up a few options on the REC nav system:

http://www.coastaletech.com/REC_LOCKPICK.htm
Brian --

Thanks for the info!!! Can you tell me where I can get the part to replace the zoom stick?? Also, who would I send it to if i'm not comfortable with a soldering iron?

Thanks again man!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71

He won't sell just the parts, but this is one place where you can get the joystick replaced. The joystick is supposed to be upgraded too; more contacts for more acute tracking. Hope this helps!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...fAudioQ5fVideo
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas1230 View Post
He won't sell just the parts, but this is one place where you can get the joystick replaced. The joystick is supposed to be upgraded too; more contacts for more acute tracking. Hope this helps!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-REC-Navigation-Joy-stick-repair_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45ebc42ac0QQitem Z300308245184QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
Kansas1230 -

I work in the IT industry so I have guys that are used to soldering on circuit boards. Do you know where I can get just the joystick??
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Quote:
Originally Posted by a49erFan View Post
Actually more do then you think, he has the limited so there is a likelyhood that he too has the back up camera.
It's my understanding that they didn't start making the REC with the backup camera input until late 2006, my Commander was built 12/2006 and my REC isn't backup camera capable, so I was just speaking from my own experience.

Search eBay for "REC Joystick" and check out mr.cd1, he's very reputable.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71

Quote:
Search eBay for "REC Joystick" and check out mr.cd1, he's very reputable.
x2 for mr.cd1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in