REC to RER Swap and XM Radio - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,133, Level: 27 Points: 2,133, Level: 27 Points: 2,133, Level: 27
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

REC to RER Swap and XM Radio

I just bought my 2007 Commander Limited last Friday and found this forum soon after. Looks awesome so far, lots of good info.

I just ordered a 2009 low speed RER and the lockpick and all the other stuff I need to convert the head unit over from the existing REC I have now.

Soooo, I have been an XM Sub'r for a really long time, and choose to stay on XM instead of Sirius (I listen to O&A lots) and have recivers in other vehicles here too... So im definitly NOT going to sub to Sirius.

I have a Delphi XpressRC XM Receiver and I love it. I was wondering if anyone else decided to stay with XM and if so, where you may have mounted it or installed it to your ride. It doesnt really look like there is very many choices in location where you can easily access it, other than maybe just on the dash right above where the RER will be.

Input from any XM people on where you put yours and maybe some pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:36 AM
Points: 3,105, Level: 34 Points: 3,105, Level: 34 Points: 3,105, Level: 34
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

I have the SkyFi 3 installed into my Jeep. You are right, there isn't any good spots to mount it. For now, I have a universal mount attached behind the center bezel (where the AC controls and tow/haul buttons are; just above the 12V outlets). It displays off to the side towards the passenger. It's not hardwired, just plugged into the AUX. Wires tuck easily under the trim.

Frunkis!

Strongbad
- '06 Commander 4.7L 4X4 Inferno Red.
-2" RC lift/spidertrax spacers on 265/70's
-Sand Dune Certified-
-Drummond Island proven-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else with a 06-07 that swapped to a RER from an REC?

Did you order a new bezel or just get some kind of spacers to fill the space on top/bottom of the RER?

Any pics?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, the RER and lockpic etc got here today finally.

I also chose to get a 14" windsheild suction style mount to place on the left side of the windshield so the XM receiver will be just pretty much above/on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, in a more easy/safe place to glance at it...

I am wondering though....

I have the factory VES in the rear seat for the kids. I am curious if this will take away the video input on the lockpick adapter, or does that ride on the stock wiring, leaving me with the lockpic input to plug my XM radio into directly?

I also got the ipod adapter cable for putting the pod in the glovebox. I dont even have an ipod yet, but figured what the hell, you never know down the road what might happen
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Points: 949, Level: 16 Points: 949, Level: 16 Points: 949, Level: 16
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Send a message via AIM to Commando06
so to swap radios i just need to replace the bezel i want an aux plug like the new radios have

2006 Commander 3.7L V6 4x4 Leather Loaded
2" Daystar Leveling kit
BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM (old Setup)
20% Tint Chrome Limited pieces
5000k HID kit
NEW set up:24" Black Forte F3 Signs Hankook Ventus ST RH06 295/35/24
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, with an 06, if you have the REC nav unit you can use the existing Dash, but if you have a regular smaller radio, you can just cut the dash to fit the RER unit with a template that is around on the internet, and usually included with the lockpick adapter. On 06 and 07 the "bezel" is actually a "cover" that basically covers your whole dash from the right to left of the whole front dash area.

I am now having issues with the rear factory VES though.

I received the lockpick adapter and installed it exactly as described in the included instructions.

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander that had an REC navagation unit it there before. My truck also has the factory VES system in the back for the kids.

When i set the lockpick adapter dip switch to indicate I have the factory VES (dip switch 4), the VES selection tab does not show up on the display, and I can not control the rear VES at all.

Likewise, the rear VES can no longer use the radio or etc. The rear VES is on its own, only able to play DVD's or CD's inserted to the rear VES. It seems totally cut off from the front RER nav unit I installed.

When I set the lockpick to the other setting (no rear VES) then the lockpick video/audio input wires work, and the VES tab shows up, but there again is no control of the rear VES and the rear VES still is not able to use the radio etc.
Is this normal? Am i doing something wrong?

The lockpick adapter has all the plugs filled but i have noticed there is one white connector from the lockpick that seems to have no equal cable to plug into it. I think it might be a media connector cable? The inputs and outputs also from from this part of the harness. My REC i took out only had two connectors... the power, speakers etc and the smaller connection next to it, so not sure where or why there is this second plug that seems to have no connection to anything?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE...

So i just got word back... Seems the MYGIG Lockpick adapters will allow you to upgrade from an REC or other radio in an 06-07 Commander, but will not retain the use of exisiting VES equipment that the REC used. (IE, you will no longer have control over the rear VES, and the rear VES will not have any link to the front RER head unit to pull radio signals etc.)

You WILL however still be able to use the steering wheel controls. They work great still.

Basically, the rear VES will be on its own.

I'm not really upset about this. The kids love the rear VES still, being able to watch their movies, and now because they have to watch/listen with the headphones, i can listen/watch whatever I want up front.

Good info though to know, since i havent seen this mentioned anywhere else on the internet at all.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
So rear passengers can't hear the SAT/AM/FM/CD?

That sucks pretty hard.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

They can not hear anything from the front head unit. Nope. They can listen to CD's played in the VES in the back, or DVDs from the back.

It might suck for some... I don't mind it. Neither do my kids. (And the wife likes the DVD playing ability up front. )

One thing now though, I'm just wondering if i bother getting the other bezel and trimming it to fit, or just make some custom trip to fill in the empty space above the radio. I'd love to find some kind of little "cubby" thing to go in there.. Havent found anything that would fit yet...

Does anyone know of any kits or trim packs that are good for this?

Oh ya, i FINALLY got my 14" (looks shorter) XM Radio windshield mount for the XM Radio. I ran the wires inside the dash to the drive side door defrost vent and then put the radio right there near the door in the corner. Looks awesome and the wires run right into the dash nice and neat with no holes in the dash...

If anyone wants to see how i did it all I can take some pics.

Last edited by Deejay; 04-15-2010 at 06:59 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Points: 3,910, Level: 39 Points: 3,910, Level: 39 Points: 3,910, Level: 39
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

I've been on the forum for a while i did not realize you could install the RER over an REC in a 2006 with the different bus. So it requires the lockpick + the radio but kills the radio and sat in the VES... If you don't mind me asking, what did those set you back?

I have always disliked the REC.

On the Southern Border. 06 Steel Blue Limited Hemi
"A problem defined is a problem half solved"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Tags
xm radio satellite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in