Ipod Hookup, Direct Connection It WORKS - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ipod Hookup, Direct Connection It WORKS

Ok, I know there are several threads on this subject, but I figured I would do my own write up to help people out. I have seen several people asking questions about the Ipod Hook Up.

Went one eBay and purchased for $55 shipped. They said the shipping was slow, but got it in 3 days so not to bad. I was worried about it now working, so I called them and asked them. They told me if it didnít work then just return it no questions asked as long as nothing was cut or clipped. It says it will not work if you have factory Sirius installed, but Iím not sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEEP-Cherokee-Co...item439da51ea4

My set up: 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, Factory Nav Unit, Rear entertainment VES system, Sirius NOT set up, Ipod Touch 2nd gen.

Installing it went pretty well. I had my whole dash of because I was installing several items at once. The connectors plug into the back of the radio, itís just a matter of tucking the wires and a few zip ties. There is a box module that went right next under the shifter, it fit perfect. It has three hook ups, Ipod, aux, and video in. I ran the aux and video in to my glove box through a little hole. I ran the Ipod connector to my center consol, just drilled a hole where the cup holders are and tucked the wires so it would not interfere with the cup holders.

Now of course itís not a direct compatible system. It will NOT charge newer 5v systems; and you can only control it through the Ipod, not the radio. Now, Iím not sure how it works if you do not have the ves but hereís how mine works. I figured it out after about 20 minutes. You have to put a cd into the ves system in the rear for it to work. So what I did is create a blank audio file (total silent audio), and then put that in. This engages the ves up front, and then you select it. If you use a regular cd, it will play both the cd and the ipod. After the ipod begins to play, you can remove the cd and use the dvd system in the rear, only until you shut the car off. So pretty much, I just leave the cd in the ves system and it works all the time. The quality is 100%, just like having a cd in, nothing like a modulator.

PLEASE do not move this thread, I feel that this can help a lot of people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Tris looks a lot easier to use than the system I purchased three years ago.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

God bless the Internet

Thank you so much for this post. Through a different post I got the idea of using the aux input for the VES to allow my iPad/iPhone to play through the 2006 Commander radio. Your post gave me the clue for how to activate the VES on the radio control screen. I went to Amazon and purchaed a $.47 (right 47 cents) cable that has rca red/white input jacks for the aux input on the DVD player box and the other end plugs in to the audio out on my apple device.

Rather than make a soundless CD, I just put in a regular CD in the DVD player. Immediately the VES was active on the radio screen. Then I used the remote control for the DVD player to stop the playing of the CD and then the input from the Apple device would play through the VES. Have not made a trip with this yet but so far it appears to work very well.

Thank you for your helpful post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in