ipod integration help! PLEASE! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Electronics / NAV Discussion This section contains discussion about the electronics system and NAV system in the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,508, Level: 22 Points: 1,508, Level: 22 Points: 1,508, Level: 22
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Arrow ipod integration help! PLEASE!

I ordered the ipod integration from mopar... it is the one that is wired through the FM radio... IT IS NOT WIRELESS... i have the nav radio without the dvd player.. so i dont have many options and i dont want the crummy wireless fm transmitter... the directions say that it runs through WIRED channel 87.9 for static free listening.. but will it be static free and still low quality.. or will it be cd-like quality... i need help regarding whether to install it or if there is a better way... i put a system in so if it is crummy, the system will sound bad... is the wired fm ipod integration the best or only way to go? please respond with some help regarding what to do! thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Re: ipod integration help! PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDJ5I
I ordered the ipod integration from mopar... it is the one that is wired through the FM radio... IT IS NOT WIRELESS... i have the nav radio without the dvd player.. so i dont have many options and i dont want the crummy wireless fm transmitter... the directions say that it runs through WIRED channel 87.9 for static free listening.. but will it be static free and still low quality.. or will it be cd-like quality... i need help regarding whether to install it or if there is a better way... i put a system in so if it is crummy, the system will sound bad... is the wired fm ipod integration the best or only way to go? please respond with some help regarding what to do! thank you!
You are right about it not being "wireless". It plugs into the FM antenna and modulates a signal that can be tuned on the radio. 10 years ago this meant that you did not get quality anywhere near that of playing a cd in the car. Now adays the modulation band has expanded to allow for the deeper bass signals as well as the highs and to be honest the direct plug-in modulation units sound pretty darn good. So good in fact that you probably will forget that your Ipod compresses the sound quality on audio files to about 1/2 the bit rate of songs that are on cd's.

The only thing keeping me from buying the Mopar Ipod kit at this point is the fact that you have to navigate on your ipod using the click wheel. This means that you will have to take the ipod out of the glovebox and hold it in your hand to change songs or playlists. I guess thats not such a big deal but it just aggrivates me that this technology is readily available and Jeep chose not to include it on this high end vehicle lineup. I am hoping that a solution will present itself in the near future. There are audio inputs on the entertainment system if you have DVD which are a hardwire input into your audio system. This option would provide the least signal loss possible and therefore the best sound reproduction for playing your ipod in the car.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Re: ipod integration help! PLEASE!

wow thanks a lot that really helped... i wish i could plug into the red and white but i dont have the dvd player... that would have been perfect... the good thing about the ipod integration i recieved is that it also charges itself when the car is turned on... and plugs in the ipod way instead of the headphone jack... i thought that was pretty good! if anyone has found any aux loose wire in the back of the nav, please notify me! thanks!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: ipod integration help! PLEASE!

OMG LOOK WHAT JUST GOT ADDED TO AUTO TRUCK TOYS!!!!!!

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep_co...5126C3679.aspx
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Points: 1,453, Level: 21 Points: 1,453, Level: 21 Points: 1,453, Level: 21
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDJ5I
OMG LOOK WHAT JUST GOT ADDED TO AUTO TRUCK TOYS!!!!!!

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep_co...5126C3679.aspx
So how does this one hook up?
Does it also connect to the FM antenna like the Mopar cable?

I am happy with the sound quality of my iPod running through the Aux input on the front panel, put I would really like to charge it.

I will not sacrifice sound quality for the ability to charge. If I have to hook up a cig lighter charger to the iPod and keep the Aux input, then so be it.
Multiple wires do not bother me, but I'm willing to invest in a one-cable-does-it-all solution.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey
So how does this one hook up?
Does it also connect to the FM antenna like the Mopar cable?

I am happy with the sound quality of my iPod running through the Aux input on the front panel, put I would really like to charge it.

I will not sacrifice sound quality for the ability to charge. If I have to hook up a cig lighter charger to the iPod and keep the Aux input, then so be it.
Multiple wires do not bother me, but I'm willing to invest in a one-cable-does-it-all solution.
This is or is the same as the factory kit. it uses FM modulation directly through the antenna jack. The sound quality would not technically be as great as using the line in cable that you currently have but I would bet that if you were hearing them blindfolded you could not pick out which one was being used.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Points: 2,206, Level: 28 Points: 2,206, Level: 28 Points: 2,206, Level: 28
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Order Mopar part 82209617- this wires directly into your audio system. Place iPod in the glove box and use radio/steering wheel controls to navigate your iPod. Just released this past week!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

Commanderman.... curious, where did you get the part number? Price maybe? Link to the site maybe? Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Points: 2,206, Level: 28 Points: 2,206, Level: 28 Points: 2,206, Level: 28
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

MSRP for the unit is $215.00- Contact your local Jeep dealer, they are able to order this part for you.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

Here is the link I buy ALL of my MOPAR parts from.
They ALWAYS beat my dealer and....... no taxes and very fair/fast shipping!
My dealer gives me an automatic 10% off and these people still slaughter them!
POC is Christy

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Electronics / NAV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in